Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 05:54 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!

Guys,

I need your help or opinions to see if I can fight this ticket. A cop pulled me over last night for having a fog light on in my RX350 during not inclement weather. I have been driving with the fog light setting on for the past 10 years and never got this issue. Half of the vehicles on the road today have the fog light on at night. This is the first time I heard about this law in Louisiana.

Does anybody know or where I can find fog light law in Louisiana?
Old 11-04-15, 06:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear that! Usually no one cares about fog lights but I guess the cop needed to meet his quota.

https://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?p=y&d=88264

RS 32:322 Section D:

D. Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred feet or follows another vehicle two hundred feet to the rear, such driver shall not use any fog lamps or other auxiliary driving or passing lamps, except during periods of inclement weather or fog.
Acts 1962, No. 310, §1; Acts 1988, No. 598, §1.
Old 11-04-15, 06:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

I agree with GSteg, that's definitely a quota ticket...
Old 11-04-15, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lousy-ana.

Old 11-04-15, 08:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loser-ana

Can't believe with all the speeders, etc that they got you for "a" fog light being on. I leave my fog lights on 100% of the time when my headlights are on (my fog light switch will just stay on, don't have to engage every time I get in the car).
Old 11-04-15, 09:04 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

how much was the ticket?
Old 11-04-15, 09:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Loser-ana

Can't believe with all the speeders, etc that they got you for "a" fog light being on. I leave my fog lights on 100% of the time when my headlights are on (my fog light switch will just stay on, don't have to engage every time I get in the car).
All the speeders? How about all the dummies that drive around in the dark, or in pouring rain, without lights on?
Old 11-04-15, 09:09 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about DRL'S? Get a ticket for that?
Old 11-04-15, 09:58 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Very likely a quota ticket. But seriously - why you would drive with fog lamps on when not in the fog? I am pretty certain this is illegal in a lot of states....
Old 11-04-15, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've driven every car I have owned with for lights with the fog lights on all the time for as long as I've been driving a car.

it would be one thing if they were bright, aftermarket fog lamps or yellow or something, but the OEM foglights don't provide any distraction to anybody...
Old 11-04-15, 10:20 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, are these OEM lights or aftermarket brighter than stock lights?
Old 11-04-15, 10:46 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've driven every car I have owned with for lights with the fog lights on all the time for as long as I've been driving a car.

it would be one thing if they were bright, aftermarket fog lamps or yellow or something, but the OEM foglights don't provide any distraction to anybody...
I couldn't agree more..
Old 11-04-15, 10:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Very likely a quota ticket. But seriously - why you would drive with fog lamps on when not in the fog? I am pretty certain this is illegal in a lot of states....

I seem to remember hearing years ago that the rules of the road here in Ontario stated that unless conditions were poor, only 1 set of lights -- either headlights or auxiliary lights but not both at the same time -- could be used.

I do agree with gengar. Why would you drive with fog lamps on when not in the fog? When driving in generally well-lit urban areas, the use of 2 sets of lights is overkill and can be terribly distracting (even blinding) to on-coming drivers. Here in urban Canada, driving with 2 sets of lights on is worse than drivers who forget to turn on their lights, IMO, and that is because for those who forget to turn on their lights, at least they have daytime running lamps (DRL), and the new LED DRLs can be quite bright.
Old 11-04-15, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've been driving for 20 years. In that time I have never seen a vehicle with its OEM foglights turned on that I in any way shape or form found distracting...let alone blinding. Never once.

Fog lights assuming they are aimed properly, are aimed down on the ground which is the exact opposite of what makes a light on an oncoming car blinding.

Now, aftermarket driving lights or foglights? Thats another story.
Old 11-04-15, 11:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Why would I want to drive with less light projected onto the road, rather than more light?

Originally Posted by SW15LS

True that. And most OEM fog lights won't allow you to drive with just the fogs and parking lights, so what's the point of fog lights in the fog anyway?

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for having fog light on in my RX350!!!!!!