Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Very smart.

If they're smart they will continue to move their cars towards the ride biased end of the spectrum which a lot of the current marketplace is moving away from.
I can't speak for the 2016, but the 2015 5.0L RWD I sampled last year was almost pillow-smooth over bumps, yet still had decent handling. (That was a major improvement from the 1Gen version, which, IMO, was stiffer than it needed to be). The new 2016 5.0L uses very low-profile 35-series tires in back, with the same 45-series in front, so I don't know if the same ride comfort has been carried over.
Old 11-04-15, 02:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw a picture of the new Azera on C&D and it looks very nice - Genesis-like. It would look at home in a Genesis display.

Hyundai needs to do something to boost Azera sales. Last month they sold 242 in the U.S. and are averaging around 400 per month for the year.
Azera will NOT be under Genesis brand.

Hyundai wants to do BMW/MB/Lexus competitor... they already said they will add entry level RWD.

So they will have G70 (C/3/IS), G80 (E/5/GS) G90 (S/7/LS) as well as SUVs with AWD which will likely be FWD based but AWD.

After today's PR, it seems that distributors will decide on local stores, which makes sense - that means that in major US markets, they will likely have separate Gensis stores.

p.s. naming still sucks. Just like Infiniti, they are trying to confuse people into thinking lesser models are more due to the name...
Old 11-04-15, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd argue that GM has been doing this for years, but that would only prove your point...
since i worked on dealer side of things and now I go to Toyota store with my Lexus, there is simply no way you can get same service in a store that services Hyundai Accent at the same time as Genesis G90. You can possibly get 10% cheaper service though but you wont feel like luxury buyer.
Old 11-04-15, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Azera will NOT be under Genesis brand.
it doesn't need to be. The Azera competes in a lower vehicle-class....with the Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala, Nissan Maxima, Ford Taurus, and its own Kia Cadenza corporate brother. Kia does not have a U.S.-market vehicle that competes directly with the Genesis...its K900, though done on the Genesis platform, competes more with the Hyundai Equus.

(I've driven the K900, and IMO, it is nice enough for the new Genesis division, but Hyundai apparently is not going to include any Kia-badged vehicles in it)

p.s. naming still sucks. Just like Infiniti, they are trying to confuse people into thinking lesser models are more due to the name...
Not only that, but consider this...............now that the new Genesis division will have the copy- rights to the "G"-number designations, Infiniti couldn't go back to it even if they wanted.

there is simply no way you can get same service in a store that services Hyundai Accent at the same time as Genesis G90. You can possibly get 10% cheaper service though but you wont feel like luxury buyer.
Depends on the specific dealership...and just how committed the owner/managers are to serving their customers. My brother's Kia shop, for instance, does things for him that some Tier-1 shops don't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
it doesn't need to be. The Azera competes in a lower vehicle-class....with the Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala, Nissan Maxima, Ford Taurus, and its own Kia
And the Buick Lacrosse.
Old 11-04-15, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And the Buick Lacrosse.
The LaCrosse, market-wise, is considered one step above the Impala/Taurus//Azera class (which is why I didn't include it). Compared to Toyotas, the LaCrosse fits in somewhere between the Avalon and Lexus ES350. But, the catch is that the new Impala actually drives as well or better than the LaCrosse. It caught everyone by surprise.

GM is one of the few exceptions in this area....it still has three levels of sedans (Chevy/Buick/Cadillac), where other corporations usually have two levels at the most. Ford used to have three levels of sedans, of course, until they dropped Mercury...and Chrysler had three levels until they dropped Plymouth. Buick, right now, is in that in-between level (also once shared with Oldsmobile and Pontiac) that Mercury used to have....their closest competitor is probably Acura, which is clearly not Tier1. Hyundai, of course, with their new division, will now also have two sedan levels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 06:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the current genesis coupe is definitely not in the right mix, it was a mistake imho
Agreed. But this could work and I'll be quite anxious to see it in its final form.
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand-hyundai-vision-g-concept-coupe-e1439410968937.jpg  
Old 11-04-15, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Agreed. But this could work and I'll be quite anxious to see it in its final form.
yes, i have confidence that they can make it happen -- a luxury coupe. just that the current one when i came out i was like wtf (given how good the genesis was)
Old 11-05-15, 03:28 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

This move will boost the Lexus image even further. Right now when most people think about luxury brands, they think Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. With Genesis in the mix, people will see Lexus in the same group with BMW and Mercedes and Genesis will be where Lexus is right now.

I know to us Lexus is on par with the Germans, and to some extent it is even more luxurious. But try explaining that to the rest of the world......

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 11-05-15 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 04:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
it doesn't need to be. The Azera competes in a lower vehicle-class....with the Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala, Nissan Maxima, Ford Taurus, and its own Kia Cadenza corporate brother. Kia does not have a U.S.-market vehicle that competes directly with the Genesis...its K900, though done on the Genesis platform, competes more with the Hyundai Equus.

(I've driven the K900, and IMO, it is nice enough for the new Genesis division, but Hyundai apparently is not going to include any Kia-badged vehicles in it)
They wouldn't include the K900 in the Genesis lineup because it's already there. The K900 and Equus are the same car, with slightly different styling.
Old 11-05-15, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
They wouldn't include the K900 in the Genesis lineup because it's already there. The K900 and Equus are the same car, with slightly different styling.
Yes, they all three are derived from the same platform, though not all are quite the same size. My point was, though (and this is just my opinion, not necessarily fact), the K900 is actually a nicer-driving car than the Equus, with a noticeably smother ride.
Old 11-05-15, 09:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Definetly about time, but I wonder if it's a little too late.

I feel they needed to introduce the Genesis brand in stand alone showrooms from the beginning just as Lexus, Acura and Infiniti did. But IMO it was even more important for Genesis to distance themselves from Hyundai from the beginning because unlike Lexus, Acura and Infiniti, Hyundai is still (maybe unfairly) perceived by a lot of people as making inexpensive, unreliable cars. A stigma that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan doesn't have.

If I remember correctly Hyundai introduced the Genesis in 2007 or 2008, and now some 8 years later they finally spinoff the brand. But the problem is over these 8 years people got used to looking at the Genesis in Hyundai showrooms as a Hyundai, which IMO was not good for the Genesis brand. Especially since the Genesis was supposed to be Hyundai's luxury brand to compete with the likes of MB, Lexus etc..

So yeah, I guess it's better late than never. But I wonder if they "missed the boat" by waiting so long
Old 11-05-15, 10:58 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Definetly about time, but I wonder if it's a little too late.

If I remember correctly Hyundai introduced the Genesis in 2007 or 2008, and now some 8 years later they finally spinoff the brand. But the problem is over these 8 years people got used to looking at the Genesis in Hyundai showrooms as a Hyundai, which IMO was not good for the Genesis brand. Especially since the Genesis was supposed to be Hyundai's luxury brand to compete with the likes of MB, Lexus etc..

So yeah, I guess it's better late than never. But I wonder if they "missed the boat" by waiting so long
Well, there was this thing called the "global financial crisis" in 2008 to 2010 which derailed many people's plans at splurging on luxury goods.
Old 11-05-15, 11:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ The original intent was to spinoff a new brand but the economy was tanking and they chose to ride it out under the same brand and wait for the opportune moment.
Old 11-05-15, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JT4

Well, IMHO the 1Gen Genesis sedan, though generally a nice car, wasn't really deserving of a luxury/premium status. That is not the case with the 2Gen version, which (again, IMHO) is a superb car in almost every way. You could say that the car is now, finally, ready for position it will be in.

Quick Reply: Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand