Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Finally, the Genesis sedan and Coupe get separate names. I've felt this was the biggest flaw since inception.

No mention of the lonely Azera, a car that could be what slots under the current Genesis sedan.

Can't help but think back to the Mazda "Amati" line that never took off in the 90's. Hope Hyundai has better luck, and I am confident they will do well with this project.
Old 11-04-15, 05:29 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the coupe should remain a Hyundai to me...if Hyundai is marketing the Genesis name as a premium/luxury brand, then I certainly don't see how the coupe fits in those terms.

the sedan surely represents it...and will the next Equus be the Genesis Equus now?

i like the move, especially considering how well the Genesis sedan is built, drives and looks...it is certainly above all the other Hyundai models. even the Azera can bump up, but that can be what the Avalon is to Toyota.
Old 11-04-15, 05:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw a picture of the new Azera on C&D and it looks very nice - Genesis-like. It would look at home in a Genesis display.

Hyundai needs to do something to boost Azera sales. Last month they sold 242 in the U.S. and are averaging around 400 per month for the year.
Old 11-04-15, 06:44 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I wonder if they're going to keep their existing names or jump into the alphabet soup naming scheme
Old 11-04-15, 06:55 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

A recent article I read said the Genesis models will be numerical with a "G" prefix. Infiniti doesn't use the "G" anymore which allows Hyundai to use it. The Equus will be renamed G90, the current Genesis will be the G80, etc. Don't know how accurate the info is, but sounds logical.
Old 11-04-15, 07:10 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
A recent article I read said the Genesis models will be numerical with a "G" prefix. Infiniti doesn't use the "G" anymore which allows Hyundai to use it. The Equus will be renamed G90, the current Genesis will be the G80, etc. Don't know how accurate the info is, but sounds logical.
That's correct. The current coupe won't make it over to the new brand - but a new coupe will be based on the Vision G concept.
Old 11-04-15, 07:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Makes sense, alphabet soup for everyone!
Old 11-04-15, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a jalopnik article on it:

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-makes-th...get-1740446762

The reports were true: Hyundai is officially launching its own global luxury brand named Genesis. The automaker made the announcement tonight with a few details on what they have in store. Some good, some not so good.

For starters, Genesis will have six new models by 2020 that Hyundai says “will compete with the world’s most renowned luxury car brands.” Here’s some PR speak to whet your appetite:

The Genesis brand seeks to create a new definition of luxury, one that will provide a new platform for future mobility centered on people. By anticipating human needs at every touch point, Genesis models will embody four key aspects: Human-focused innovation, refined and balanced performance, athletic elegance in design and hassle-free customer experience.
Neat. In addition the cars will use a new wing emblem not unlike the current Genesis logo, but “even more luxurious” in appearance. Their words, not mine.

And then we get to the names. If the Hyundai Genesis is already a thing, will it become the Genesis Genesis? No, that would be stupid. And what of the Hyundai Equus?

Hyundai says it will institute a naming system for the new cars that starts with “G” and ends in a number. Like this:

The Genesis brand will also adopt a new alphanumeric naming structure. Future models will be named by combining the letter ‘G’ for Genesis with a number, 90, 80 or 70 etc., representing the segment.

Good. Great. Swell. Another set of alphanumerics for us all to learn. I guess now that Infiniti is done with the G, Hyundai decided to scoop it up. You know how the G37 became the new Q50 and Q60, right? Or as we call it around the office, “Which one is that again?”

Anyway, luxury buyers love alphanumerics instead of real names, apparently, so they have to go that route to be competitive.

But there’s good news: Luc Donckerwolke, the design chief formerly of Bentley, Audi, Lamborghini and others and whom Hyundai scooped up recently, will lead design at Genesis. His work will be overseen by Peter Schreyer, who has led Hyundai’s recent design renaissance. The point is this: the Genesis G-Whatevers should look really good.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what Hyundai is capable of in the luxury space. They’ve made tremendous strides in the past 15 years, and this move seems like a natural progression for them, not to mention a potentially very profitable one.

One of the biggest pitfalls, however, is that the luxury game is more crowded than ever. In addition to the usuals from Germany and Lexus, Genesis will be up against a renewed Cadillac, Infiniti, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Jaguar, all of whom are working to get their **** together in different ways. Hyundai had better do the same.
Old 11-04-15, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

exciting times - more competition is good for consumers!
Old 11-04-15, 09:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably improved from now... with new SUV coming in 2019, and probably some other models after that, they could launch separate stores as well.

Without separate stores, at least in your major locations, you cant really give luxury customers the service they desire.
I'd argue that GM has been doing this for years, but that would only prove your point...
Old 11-04-15, 09:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exciting times - more competition is good for consumers!
Agreed! What an exciting time to be a customer. We have the stalwarts: Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi. And now we have the upstarts/companies getting their **** together: Cadillac, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Genesis, and to a degree Volvo and Lincoln. Depending on how Genesis turns out I may have to toss Maserati in there too.
Old 11-04-15, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Very smart.

If they're smart they will continue to move their cars towards the ride biased end of the spectrum which a lot of the current marketplace is moving away from. If the new LS is a lot more "dynamic" and not as smooth and quiet, I could see myself in a Genesis G90.
Old 11-04-15, 11:48 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Infiniti does not use car names starting with "G" anymore but unless they have given up the rights to G-names, Hyundai could not legally use it. But still, Hyundai would be wise to stay away from names like G35.

Carmakers use alphnumeric model names to give more emphasis to the brand name; that has been important for the luxury brands. That is why the luxury brands, including Acura, Cadillac and Lincoln, which historically had real, recognizable names, have been going to alphanumeric model names.

Yet, ironically, this emphasis on the brand name has not been important for the super luxury brands Rolls-Royce and Bentley. It will be interesting to see if Lincoln goes completely back to recognizable names, starting with Continental.
Old 11-04-15, 12:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Infiniti does not use car names starting with "G" anymore but unless they have given up the rights to G-names, Hyundai could not legally use it. But still, Hyundai would be wise to stay away from names like G35.

Carmakers use alphnumeric model names to give more emphasis to the brand name; that has been important for the luxury brands. That is why the luxury brands, including Acura, Cadillac and Lincoln, which historically had real, recognizable names, have been going to alphanumeric model names.

Yet, ironically, this emphasis on the brand name has not been important for the super luxury brands Rolls-Royce and Bentley. It will be interesting to see if Lincoln goes completely back to recognizable names, starting with Continental.
Hyundai wouldn't want to use G25/35/37 for legal reasons, and for customer confusion reasons. But you think that Infiniti filed trademarks on all "G" alpha numerics 1-100?

MB uses S500, etc; Volvo uses S80, etc.
Old 11-04-15, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the current genesis coupe is definitely not in the right mix, it was a mistake imho

Quick Reply: Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand