Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accident Who is in the right here? Woman in truck or BMW boy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Why not? Again we don't know anything that happened before this clip. BMW might've cut the truck off then to spite them blocked them from being able to pass them to **** the trucker off. Someone in the left turn lane may have turned and opened up a spot for the truck to try and pass the BMW (Not saying it's right), and the BMW quickly tried to close the gap so the truck couldn't get ahead of them.

There are two sides to every story, and we're missing a side here.

I've been guilty of cutting in before. But there is also a reasonable gap and a 4-5 car gap. This was clearly the latter. For a driver who sounds so young, I don't see what possible reason he had to leave such a huge gap.
Makes no diff what happened before the truck entered the BMW lane, the evidence shows that truck entered the BMWs lane. That is all that matters.
Old 10-29-15, 12:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Makes no diff what happened before the truck entered the BMW lane, the evidence shows that truck entered the BMWs lane. That is all that matters.
I guess the same logic can be applied if someone posted up a video of someone breaking really hard and rear-ending the car ahead of them, you'd automatically assume that the car inback is at fault right? Afterall there are never situations where someone is cut off and brake checked....
Old 10-29-15, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess the same logic can be applied if someone posted up a video of someone breaking really hard and rear-ending the car ahead of them, you'd automatically assume that the car inback is at fault right? Afterall there are never situations where someone is cut off and brake checked....
The car in back would be at fault. It does not matter how hard the car in front braked or what caused the car in front to brake.

Give me an example of where the car in front would be at fault?
Old 10-29-15, 01:13 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car in back would be at fault. It does not matter how hard the car in front braked or what caused the car in front to brake.

brake checker
Old 10-29-15, 01:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

made for each other. I am sure they had a riot night at the motel a mile down.
Old 10-29-15, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

You wouldn't only automatically assume that...the person in the back would in fact be at fault. Its the responsibility of the person in the rear to always maintain enough distance to reach to things that happen ahead of time.

The law is the law.
Old 10-29-15, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO the girl was guilty of disorderly conduct, which, as a misdemeanor, means she could be arrested and, in most jurisdictions, locked up for up to a year.
Old 10-29-15, 02:24 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You wouldn't only automatically assume that...the person in the back would in fact be at fault. Its the responsibility of the person in the rear to always maintain enough distance to reach to things that happen ahead of time.

The law is the law.
Y'all must not drive in FL, GA, TX, or CA.....

If I'm happily putting along at 45mph, in the right lane in a business district, and someone pulls from a parking lot onto the main road and I can't move over into the other lane and end up rear ending them, that'd be my fault? Similar situation happened to my mom, the other party was found to be at fault (old driver).

Kinda hard to maintain a safe distance with a vehicle that 2 seconds ago wasn't in front of you.

Again I'm not siding with the truck driver here at all, I'm just stating that we aren't seeing the entire story and judging the situation based on what we see is wrong too.
Old 10-29-15, 02:52 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

idoit truck driver vs. jerk BMW driver = popcorn time
Old 10-29-15, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I'm happily putting along at 45mph, in the right lane in a business district, and someone pulls from a parking lot onto the main road and I can't move over into the other lane and end up rear ending them, that'd be my fault? Similar situation happened to my mom, the other party was found to be at fault (old driver).

Kinda hard to maintain a safe distance with a vehicle that 2 seconds ago wasn't in front of you.

Again I'm not siding with the truck driver here at all, I'm just stating that we aren't seeing the entire story and judging the situation based on what we see is wrong too.
Thats an entirely different situation. If someone enters your lane without ceding you the right of way and causes an accident they are at fault, whether you were in the rear or not. Thats what occurred here in that video.

If someone is also traveling in your lane ahead of you and they stop short, and you were following too closely to react and avoid an accident...YOU are at fault. If its deliberate on the part of the person stopping? Good luck proving that without...a dash cam.
Old 10-29-15, 04:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats an entirely different situation. If someone enters your lane without ceding you the right of way and causes an accident they are at fault, whether you were in the rear or not. Thats what occurred here in that video.

If someone is also traveling in your lane ahead of you and they stop short, and you were following too closely to react and avoid an accident...YOU are at fault. If its deliberate on the part of the person stopping? Good luck proving that without...a dash cam.

if you are traveling behind someone and rear end them, the person that rear-ended is at fault.

if someone pulls out in front of you and fails to yield right of way and you hit them/rear-end, they are at fault.

2 entirely different incidents.
Old 10-29-15, 05:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So let's just say, for the sake of argument, that there was some type of altercation before the video, or the BMW cut off the truck, or the BMW was tailgating, or flipped off the truck. So what? If you saw that on the video, would you then conclude it was perfectly ok for the truck to sideswipe the BMW?

That's why it's irrelevant.

It's not like both cars were moving in traffic, and the video comes on mid maneuver and you don't know if the BMW sped up to keep the truck from merging. The BMW was at a dead stop, at a light, and slowly started pulling up, as the truck merged in from a left turn only lane--not a get up as far as you can until you merge lane, or a don't pay any attention what the lane is for and then fly into the lane you actually want lane.
Old 10-29-15, 05:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is all well and good, but show me where in this particular video someone pulled onto a main road from a parking lot? No, I do not drive in FL, GA, TX or CA--maybe in those states you can pull out of a parking lot from the left side into a middle lane.

You just change all the facts to set yourself up to win the argument.
Old 10-29-15, 05:12 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more reasons to get a dash cam.
Old 10-29-15, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I seriously am tempted to get dash cams. Had we had one when that pile of leaves set the van on fire we'd know who flicked the cigarette or set them off.

Quick Reply: Accident Who is in the right here? Woman in truck or BMW boy?