Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda RX-VISION Concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 07:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda RX-VISION Concept

Mazda Reveals Mazda RX-VISION Concept
Powered by next-generation rotary engine SKYACTIV-R, represents Mazda’s vision of the future

Mazda Motor Corporation unveiled the rotary-powered Mazda RX-VISION sports car concept at the Tokyo Motor Show*1 today. The rotary engine is a symbol of the company’s “never-stop-challenging” spirit.

RX-VISION represents a vision of the future that Mazda hopes to one day make into reality; a front-engine, rear-wheel drive sports car with exquisite, KODO design-based proportions only Mazda could envision, and powered by the next-generation SKYACTIV-R rotary engine.

Rotary engines feature a unique construction, generating power through the rotational motion of a triangular rotor. Overcoming numerous technical difficulties, Mazda succeeded in commercializing the rotary engine, fitting it in the Cosmo Sport (known as Mazda 110S overseas) in 1967. As the only automaker to mass-produce the rotary engine, Mazda continued efforts to improve power output, fuel economy and durability, and in 1991 took overall victory at 24 Hours of Le Mans with a rotary engine-powered race car. Over the years, the rotary engine has come to symbolize Mazda’s creativity and tireless endeavor in the face of difficult challenges.

While mass production is currently on hold, Mazda has never stopped research and development efforts towards the rotary engine. The next rotary engine has been named SKYACTIV-R, expressing the company’s determination to take on challenges with convention-defying aspirations and the latest technology, just as it did when developing SKAYCTIV TECHNOLOGY.

“I look forward to talking with you more about this vision we have revealed here today at the Mazda stand,” said Mazda’s Representative Director, President and CEO, Masamichi Kogai. “Mazda will continue to take on new challenges in an effort to build a special bond with our customers and become their ‘one and only’ brand.”

Old 10-27-15, 10:37 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll go ahead and say that this is the sexiest concept car in the last 10 years. Mazda has outdone themselves. This needs to become the new RX.
Old 10-27-15, 11:10 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Very.....fluid. The lines just flow. Beautiful.
Old 10-27-15, 11:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

The headlight design is interesting! Looks like eyebrow...
Old 10-27-15, 11:32 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

And how Mazda-ish is it to not have any fancy, infotainment in the center dashboard (likely will not happen in production version). This is GOAT
Old 10-28-15, 01:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

almost at a loss for words. Modern sex appeal with a simple nature: just drive
Old 10-28-15, 03:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks amazing!
Old 10-28-15, 05:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
And how Mazda-ish is it to not have any fancy, infotainment in the center dashboard (likely will not happen in production version). This is GOAT
Considering it appears to have no radio or AC controls, I'm going to bet on some form of infotainment screen being added if they make this car--and hopefully they do.
Old 10-28-15, 05:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is how you design a sports car. If this had Ferrari badge it would have been proclaimed the best looking Ferrari in two decades after F355
Old 10-28-15, 08:18 AM
venom21
Instructor

Please please please build it Mazda!
Old 10-28-15, 10:50 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mordecai
That's fine! Oh PLEEEASE let me add my own radio/infotainment to it. How I've so wanted to opt out of EVERY stock car audio system ever made. Well, the ML system is the exception. Knowing Mazda they'll put i some garbage like Bose. Ugh. I'd just tear it out so, can we just save myself & the company & not have it installed? Really, I'd rather go down to the local audio dealer and plunk down $$$$ and support the local economy.

Hey, it's the baby brother to the LF-LC...at a 1/3 of the price. hehe.
Old 10-28-15, 11:12 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope they build this in close representation to what the concept shows. Just imagine if this and the FT-1 were out at about the same time. Dreaming I know but it would be great. I feel this has more of a chance to get built than the FT-1.
Old 10-28-15, 03:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just Beautiful. Build it.

Mazda really needs a flagship sportscar with a rotary to go with their sporty image and this would be perfect plus sports cars are starting to come back and Mazda can't be left out.
Old 10-28-15, 04:08 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stunning design. Greenlight it for production Mazda The nd is beautiful, but their lineup is just screaming for an RX replacement...
Old 10-28-15, 05:31 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Mazda RX-VISION Concept