Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru will build three more STI-tuned models, and a hotter BRZ is one of them

Old 10-31-15, 08:59 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nothing wrong with that. I was a CL member (and Editor) for years here as a Subaru Outback owner myself.

(I don't claim to be an expert, but I know a fair amount about the brand myself)

Do you agree that Subaru's overall build quality, in general, declined for the Legacy/Outback after 2009 and the Forester/Impreza/WRX/STI after 2007? That's the impression I got....lighter, thinner, less-durable construction.
Um certain aspects yes maybe. The WRX 5sp transmission was garbage until it took on the transmission from the Legacy in 2008 obviously not as good as the 6sp but definitely an improvement. In 08 the ringland failure problem was far worse than I'm sure Subaru predicted. I personally prefer the look of the post 2005 Subaru's myself but that's solely based on looks. If you buy a Subaru an leave it stock it'll probably outlast you.....modify it (no matter the quality of parts or the quality of work) and it's more of a gamble than modifying any other performance vehicle. Except maybe a rotary or DSM

Originally Posted by BoDarville
how did you and your "domestic partner" decide which one is the husband?
I didn't get it at first lol but then I laughed out loud
Old 10-31-15, 02:13 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SubieChik
Meh, I will never go back to Subaru again. Between my husband and I we had 7 Subarus in 10 years. We loved them at one time, but that was until we crossed over to the Toyota side and realized it is possible to have daily drivers that don't break lol
But that's what makes a Subaru a Subaru :/
Old 10-31-15, 05:57 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Touché!
Old 11-01-15, 12:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=SubieChik;9235931]Um certain aspects yes maybe. The WRX 5sp transmission was garbage until it took on the transmission from the Legacy in 2008 obviously not as good as the 6sp but definitely an improvement. In 08 the ringland failure problem was far worse than I'm sure Subaru predicted. I personally prefer the look of the post 2005 Subaru's myself but that's solely based on looks. If you buy a Subaru an leave it stock it'll probably outlast you.....modify it (no matter the quality of parts or the quality of work) and it's more of a gamble than modifying any other performance vehicle. Except maybe a rotary or DSM

One of the 1st WRX to land in the USA in 2001 landed in the press pool that I managed & test drove.
It was one of my favorites for LA traffic duty due to the good ride/performance. Very easy to shift. It stayed in the fleet twice as long as most early production vehicles & shifted fine during it's 20,000 miles of testing. Never any issues with any of the Subaru fleet 2000-2003 except the occasional minor rattle.
Old 11-01-15, 03:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=Byprodrive;9236996]
Um certain aspects yes maybe. The WRX 5sp transmission was garbage until it took on the transmission from the Legacy in 2008 obviously not as good as the 6sp but definitely an improvement. In 08 the ringland failure problem was far worse than I'm sure Subaru predicted. I personally prefer the look of the post 2005 Subaru's myself but that's solely based on looks. If you buy a Subaru an leave it stock it'll probably outlast you.....modify it (no matter the quality of parts or the quality of work) and it's more of a gamble than modifying any other performance vehicle. Except maybe a rotary or DSM

One of the 1st WRX to land in the USA in 2001 landed in the press pool that I managed & test drove.
It was one of my favorites for LA traffic duty due to the good ride/performance. Very easy to shift. It stayed in the fleet twice as long as most early production vehicles & shifted fine during it's 20,000 miles of testing. Never any issues with any of the Subaru fleet 2000-2003 except the occasional minor rattle.
20,000 miles is IMO still a new car. Report back and tell me if the transmission is grinding with 100k miles on it.
Old 11-01-15, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

20,000 miles is IMO still a new car. Report back and tell me if the transmission is grinding with 100k miles on it.
I'm not necessarily saying that SubieChik drives this way, but, the way some WRX and STIs are driven, 20,000 miles can be pretty hard on their components. I suspect that is one reason why they sometimes don't show the same general reliability as other Subarus.
Old 11-01-15, 05:59 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I don't speak just from personal experience but years of information from the Subaru community also. I never even owned a Subaru with the crappy 5spd that I speak of so no my driving has nothing to do with it. Nobody has to take my word for anything they can just log onto any one of the many Subaru forums where there are hundreds of threads that will prove any one of my points lol.
Old 11-01-15, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't speak just from personal experience but years of information from the Subaru community also. I never even owned a Subaru with the crappy 5spd that I speak of so no my driving has nothing to do with it. Nobody has to take my word for anything they can just log onto any one of the many Subaru forums where there are hundreds of threads that will prove any one of my points lol.
I agree. I wasn't saying your driving had anything to do with it (Sorry if there is any misunderstanding.....I tried to make that clear in my post). It's just that some WRX and STI models are driven hard, that's all, which doesn't do much for clutch or transmission life.

BTW, as for Subie forums, I was on a couple of them when I had my Outback (not to the extent of my posting here), and I think I DO remember your name popping up.
Old 11-02-15, 05:01 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I'm on damn near every forum for everything LOL! I really try to read as much as I can and learn everything that I can
Old 11-02-15, 11:48 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring that B4 Blitzen over here. Great looking car compared to the new Legacy.
Old 11-11-15, 08:42 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Very hot

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/10/t...rmance-patent/
Old 11-11-15, 03:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, thats how it should have looked like all along. Minus the wing.
Old 11-13-15, 07:28 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Wow, thats how it should have looked like all along. Minus the wing.
Agreed. Love those door handles. Nice attention to detail
Old 11-14-15, 07:27 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I like that
Old 11-15-15, 07:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

years too late

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subaru will build three more STI-tuned models, and a hotter BRZ is one of them