Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru will build three more STI-tuned models, and a hotter BRZ is one of them

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 01:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Subaru will build three more STI-tuned models, and a hotter BRZ is one of them

Subaru is finally getting serious about transforming its STI division into a full-fledged, performance-focused sub-brand. STI boss Yoshio Hirakawa recently revealed that the Japanese automaker has approved both the development of at least three stand-alone STI models, and the launch of a long list of aftermarket parts for virtually all current members of its lineup.

Speaking to Australian website Motoring, Hirakawa explained the next STI-badged model will most likely be a faster version of the Legacy sedan. The executive stopped short of revealing precisely what will lie under the hood, but he hinted that a turbocharged evolution of the stock model’s 2.5-liter flat-four engine is a likely possibility. However, an STI-tuned version of the Legacy-based Outback wagon has been categorically ruled out.

The Levorg that’s sold in a handful of global markets — including Japan and Europe — will also receive the STI treatment. Since it’s based on the WRX, it’s not too far-fetched to speculate that the sportier version of Subaru’s smallest wagon will get a 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-four engine tuned to make 305 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 290 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. The engine will be plucked straight from the WRX STI (pictured) parts bin.

Surprisingly, Hirakawa admitted that STI is developing a more powerful version of the BRZ, a slow-selling coupe that’s also sold as the Scion FR-S. While Subaru can’t equip the BRZ with a regular, exhaust-driven turbocharger due to space constraints, the automaker’s engineers are looking at fitting the four-cylinder engine with a state-of-the-art electric turbocharger that’s a lot more compact. The technology is under study, but it hasn’t been given the green light for production yet.

Hirakawa explains that STI-badged cars need more than a few extra ponies under the hood. Moving forward, all STI models will get thorough suspension upgrades designed to noticeably improve handling, brake modifications and a better-sounding exhaust system. Additionally, his team is working hard to ensure Subaru’s CVT transmission is up to the task of powering a model that has been massaged by STI.

“I want [the CVT] to feel more like a manual gearbox. It should launch faster and have a more positive shift feel,” said Hirakawa.

Now, for the bad news. Although Subaru wants STI to become a global brand, there’s no indication that the company will sell the Legacy STI on our shores, and the Levorg STI won’t make the trip across the Pacific because the regular model isn’t sold here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/subaru...182551874.html
Old 10-27-15, 01:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO the STIs EJ25 2.5L 305hp motor needs to be scrapped and something new in it's place ASAP....needs more power and MPG.
Old 10-27-15, 02:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should really consider FA25DIT. FA20DIT makes massive hp with tune and bolt ons, I can see 2.5L variation will only be better.
Old 10-27-15, 02:09 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Way to go STI
Old 10-27-15, 02:33 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Australian website Motoring
Translate this to English = "Don't continue reading"
Old 10-27-15, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure what has taken so long. The desire for a factory backed turbo BRZ has been around since the Triplets debut
Old 10-30-15, 01:49 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Meh, I will never go back to Subaru again. Between my husband and I we had 7 Subarus in 10 years. We loved them at one time, but that was until we crossed over to the Toyota side and realized it is possible to have daily drivers that don't break lol
Old 10-30-15, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SubieChik
Meh, I will never go back to Subaru again. Between my husband and I we had 7 Subarus in 10 years. We loved them at one time, but that was until we crossed over to the Toyota side and realized it is possible to have daily drivers that don't break lol
Maybe its time for a SN change: LexyChik
Old 10-30-15, 02:14 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I know lol.....I get crap from my friends all the time for it. But I have been SubieChik for 10 years I can't change it!
Old 10-30-15, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Were they WRX or STI models? Those, in general, have not been as reliable as other Subaru models......some of which are near bulletproof. Older non-turbo 2.5L flat-fours also had head-gasket problems.
Old 10-30-15, 03:30 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
2006 Subaru Legacy GT SpecB
2004 Subaru WRX
2009 Subaru WRX Hatch
1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
2001 Subaru RSTI
2008 Subaru STI Hatch

Trust me....owned them all and knew damn near all there is to about Subaru's....ej20s, ej255s and ej257s lol
Old 10-30-15, 08:58 PM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

I was always surprised that a turbocharger wasn't a factory option as part of a higher level trim on the FRS/BRZ,
Old 10-31-15, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I know lol.....I get crap from my friends all the time for it. But I have been SubieChik for 10 years I can't change it!
Nothing wrong with that. I was a CL member (and Editor) for years here as a Subaru Outback owner myself.

Trust me....owned them all and knew damn near all there is to about Subaru's....ej20s, ej255s and ej257s lol
(I don't claim to be an expert, but I know a fair amount about the brand myself)

Do you agree that Subaru's overall build quality, in general, declined for the Legacy/Outback after 2009 and the Forester/Impreza/WRX/STI after 2007? That's the impression I got....lighter, thinner, less-durable construction.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 08:13 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between my husband and I we had 7 Subarus in 10 years.
how did you and your "domestic partner" decide which one is the husband?

Originally Posted by balMaster
Translate this to English = "Don't continue reading"
^^^ this x infinity
Old 10-31-15, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not sure what has taken so long. The desire for a factory backed turbo BRZ has been around since the Triplets debut
Subaru and Toyota probably designed these cars knowing that there would be a lot of aftermarket turbo/supercharging going on. Subaru, of course, designed the engines and most of the powertrain....so it would probably be more difficult for TRD to design a factory supercharger for it like on the 1Gen Scion tC.

Quick Reply: Subaru will build three more STI-tuned models, and a hotter BRZ is one of them