Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Coming up: Say Good-Bye to the Dodge Viper

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 11:25 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
comparing anything to ferrari is pretty much apples to oranges. ferrari ONLY sells high performance sports cars, has done so for decades, and developed a unique brand and following pretty much second to none. every new model is sold out instantly and with huge backlogs, so nothing else is likely to have similar demand.
Oh, c'mon. Ferrari is just one example. Look how many GT3 variants Porsche sells every generation. Not even talking about "normal" 911s, many (most?) of which price at 100k+ after options.

Corvette has a huge following as well and have dominated their segment of the marketplace for ages. It's just a different demographic. The bottom line is that budget performance is a difficult sell and especially when crossing certain price thresholds. For better or for worse, people spending 100k+ have higher expectations and that's why there is such a dichotomy between the blather of Internet fanboys and what actually sells.
Old 10-28-15, 05:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

everyones a buyer until its time to sign the check
Old 10-28-15, 09:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It's merely a conclusion, but the point is that the Viper plant will close. It's a reasonable conclusion because it would be nonsensical to relocate the plant from a financial standpoint. If Fiat wanted to keep building the Viper, they'd keep doing it at that plant.
It is a reasonable conclusion albeit flawed by associating a model with a specific plant. Also the the top brass are often eccentrics that make decisions on the golfing green or over dinner rather than on the factory floor. The language of the contract makes me think they don't want the plant, but if someday somehow they can accommodate the Viper in another plant with more workers (economies), they might do it (or might already be thinking about it, just not publicized it)

edit: it is an assembly plant, and it is quite easy to move them around. In fact this very plant facilities have been moved once before.
Plant History: Plant was built in 1966 and purchased by the Company in 1995. Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant and was moved to Conner Avenue in October 1995. Prowler production began in May 1997 and ended in February 2002. Viper V-10 Engine production was transferred from Mound Road Engine to Conner Assembly in May 2001. In 2003, the newly engineered SRT10 Roadster hit the market and the SRT10 Coupe followed in 2005. Viper production ended on July 2, 2010, and the facility was idled. Conner was completely refurbished in 2012 and on Dec, 5, 2012, the plant started production of the 2013 SRT Viper. More than 30,000 Vipers have been produced, including 24,214 at Conner (through 2014), since production began in 1992.
I would not be surprised if this was a 2 step plan:
Step 1: Going out of business sale
Step 2: 2 years later, Back by popular demand sale

Last edited by chikoo; 10-28-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 09:40 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by chikoo
edit: it is an assembly plant, and it is quite easy to move them around.
I keep looking for a "just kidding", "April Fools'", or sarcastic emoticon after your statement, but I can't seem to find it.
Old 10-29-15, 04:38 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I keep looking for a "just kidding", "April Fools'", or sarcastic emoticon after your statement, but I can't seem to find it.
I would have used that if I did not know what I was talking about. Been there done that - moved assembly plants that is - number of times, mainly as a result of disagreements with the specific plant union.
Old 10-29-15, 05:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you needed another reason to dislike unions...
Old 10-29-15, 01:05 PM
gengar

I would have used that if I did not know what I was talking about. Been there done that - moved assembly plants that is - number of times, mainly as a result of disagreements with the specific plant union.
Projected future labor costs can easily exceed the recapitalization and relocation costs (that, taxes, and reducing forex exposure are pretty much the only reasons motor companies move their plants), but the economic rationale/feasibility doesn't change the costs. I have direct experience in this area with global automakers. If you've moved assembly plants before but don't think it's incredibly costly, I don't know what world you live in.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if you needed another reason to dislike unions...
Well, it just goes to show how much labor costs factor in to the cost of producing goods. Sure, it'd be great if we could find a magical way to pay everyone a ton of money, but that's the difference between charity and the free market. Lower-skill workers unionize and demand $55/hr and then for some reason act shocked when companies move to automation or ship their jobs off to Mexico for $8/hr.
Old 10-29-15, 01:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Projected future labor costs can easily exceed the recapitalization and relocation costs (that, taxes, and reducing forex exposure are pretty much the only reasons motor companies move their plants), but the economic rationale/feasibility doesn't change the costs. I have direct experience in this area with global automakers. If you've moved assembly plants before but don't think it's incredibly costly, I don't know what world you live in.
and? I am not getting your point here. Is the recommendation that nobody in their right minds would move assembly plants because it is "prohibitively" expensive?

In case you missed it in my post, the same plant was moved from one location to another.
Old 10-29-15, 02:10 PM
gengar

In case you missed it in my post, the same plant was moved from one location to another.
Hence my response - that just because the economic rationale exists to move a plant does not mean that the cost of moving the plant is not extreme. It only means that the perceived economic incentive to move the plant is even bigger. That's why the fact that automotive plants have been moved in the past does not at all rebut my prior posts, especially in consideration of the fact that Fiat has not renegotiated contracts with the workers in question or even indicated any replacement plans in their budgetary outlook.
Old 10-29-15, 07:13 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Hence my response - that just because the economic rationale exists to move a plant does not mean that the cost of moving the plant is not extreme. It only means that the perceived economic incentive to move the plant is even bigger. That's why the fact that automotive plants have been moved in the past does not at all rebut my prior posts, especially in consideration of the fact that Fiat has not renegotiated contracts with the workers in question or even indicated any replacement plans in their budgetary outlook.
I am sorry. I am not just getting at what your trying to imply here, in this particular situation where everyone is conjecturing that Viper is dead because the plant is being shut down.
Old 11-02-15, 02:55 PM
gengar

I am sorry. I am not just getting at what your trying to imply here, in this particular situation where everyone is conjecturing that Viper is dead because the plant is being shut down.
What's so difficult about it? Even you called it a "reasonable conclusion" in one of your past posts. Sidetracking the thread with your absurd assertion that relocating plants is something "easy" to do from a financial standpoint didn't help either.

That there will not necessarily be a permanent end to Viper production is perhaps a better argument, but that's something obvious and even alluded to in the OP article.

Last edited by gengar; 11-02-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmm wonder how far Vipers will depreciate, and how many years until they are a collectors item.
Old 11-03-15, 07:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Who cares, the ACR just obliterated 13 out of 13 track records including Laguna Seca which the 918 used to hold. Pretty crazy for an old tech car without a DCT or other power adders. Maybe they want to go out on a high note.
Old 01-13-16, 02:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New Viper 'is a possibility,' Sergio Marchionne says

Alfa Platform May Be The Answer For FCA

FiatChrysler is considering a new Dodge Viper off a new, much more modern architecture, though its timing is unclear. The obvious platform would be the new rear-wheel-drive architecture that Alfa Romeo has developed for a series of models, including the BMW 3 Series-size Giulia, a 5 Series competitor, and replacements for the Dodge Challenger and Charger. The current car’s truck-based V-10 no doubt would be scrapped along with its platform.

“The Viper was, has been, a labor of love,” Sergio Marchionne said at his annual press conference at the North American International Auto Show here. The current car was developed following the 2009 Chrysler bankruptcy using aged, existing architecture and retaining the car’s 8.0-liter V-10 engine. “Given the architectural development within the brand, there is a possibility that a new version of the Viper may surface. Whether it will surface in time [to replace the current car, which is expected to cease production this year] is unclear to me.”

The economics of the 2016 Dodge Viper’s exclusive architecture “doesn’t add up to me.”

Marchionne said that delay of the first car off the Alfa RWD architecture has moved other models back, because they are to be introduced in sequence. The BMW 3 Series-sized Giulia goes on sale in the middle of this year, and a 5 Series-sized car will come next. Replacements for the Dodge Challenger and Charger, somewhat downsized from the current models, are expected off the architecture, and FCA is rumored to be working on a Dodge musclecar that will be smaller than the next Challenger; a convertible-only Barracuda.
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...r-is-possible/
Old 01-13-16, 10:11 PM
gengar

Calling a Giorgio platform-based, non-V10 car the "new Viper" is as bad as the "new NSX".

Sad that exclusive architecture is just not economically feasible to most manufacturers, regardless of the performance value perception by the masses.

Quick Reply: Coming up: Say Good-Bye to the Dodge Viper