Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus shows off 2016 flagships in 'Different Routes'

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 02:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Great advertising concept, perfect for the 21st century, they got a 2 for 1 deal in advertising which makes this advertisement even more effective while at the same time not seeming desperate.

I always see people complain about Lexus ads and how they're not the ads of the 90s what with the champagne glass pyramid stacked on the LS hood, I mean come on let's step away from the past. People are always comparing everything to the past, like an angry girlfriend.
Old 10-24-15, 02:23 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are already running 16 inch steel wheels and king shocks on the new LX over here.
Old 10-24-15, 10:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I don't know why I even posted that because ad is superb. Don't need to be nitpicking at all although in my opinion advertisers should calm down a little bit from that plastic feeling looks and go more organic, not just in casting but in production as well with color grading, light leaks and flares, etc.

What you said is absolutely right, propagating the lifestyle is a pitch to your client and a message to their customer, its an easy pitch that always flies and gets green lighted. Without hijacking the thread here I will be very short regarding the casting. I was just referring to naïve one dimensional characters and that there was no need to water things down especially when your ad features $100k products. People owning cars like LS or LX are more aware of their surroundings so presenting them flatten stereotypes is most likely something that will not impress them. In my conclusion this ad's major audience is not potential LX or LS soon to be owners but owners of CT, IS, RX and maybe GS who are still far away from dropping 100K on a car. This ad reinforces L brand for sure.

Anyhow what ad people did right here and they did it really good is to present the products in the coolest way they could and they delivered. They were really careful not to outshine LX with LS here, LS takes the back seat to the true new born star LX is. And product demonstration for LX was done freakin right and that's the whole point of the ad. It gets you pumped by seeing new LX, that couple in the end is irrelevant so I apologize for starting the unnecessary discussion.
So I'm curious to know how you would make the casting more 3 dimensional?

The woman and the man are exactly what the clientele that Lexus is trying to appeal to. Whether the person exists does not matter, its that people want to be like those two is what is important.
Old 10-27-15, 12:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I love that new LX grill.

Yep,
I guess it's a matter of taste, because I don't think they improved the LX styling by adding it. I think it looks better in the NX and RX applications.
Old 10-27-15, 12:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Without hijacking the thread here I will be very short regarding the casting. I was just referring to naïve one dimensional characters and that there was no need to water things down especially when your ad features $100k products. People owning cars like LS or LX are more aware of their surroundings so presenting them flatten stereotypes is most likely something that will not impress them. In my conclusion this ad's major audience is not potential LX or LS soon to be owners but owners of CT, IS, RX and maybe GS who are still far away from dropping 100K on a car. This ad reinforces L brand for sure.
How do you present actors who appear on camera for about 5 seconds of a 30 second spot pretending to drive a car as more dimensional?

And how to you knock a "stereotype" of the actor, and then propagate a stereotype of a real life LX or LS driver? I'm sure some LX/LS drivers are "more aware of their surroundings", as much as I'm sure some are less aware--especially the elderly set who buy the LS instead of the Cadillac their fathers bought (oops--stereotype).