Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Car Reliability Survey 2015

Old 10-22-15, 10:07 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Car Reliability Survey 2015

I'm impressed by how well Audi's done for 3 years in a row. Their most reliable model is even more reliable than Lexus's most reliable model now. Quite a turnaround.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...or-reliability

How Car Brands Compare for Reliability
Definitive ranking shows how the brands stack up

By Consumer Reports
Last updated: October 20, 2015

Ever wonder which company makes the most reliable cars? Thanks to the latest Consumer Reports’ 2015 Annual Auto Survey, there is a definitive answer.

Our 2015 auto survey, conducted last spring, gathered information from Consumer Reports subscribers who collectively owned or leased over 740,000 vehicles. From this data, we can predict how cars will hold up, and collectively, what the outlook is per brand.

This table shows how the brands rank based on the average of their models’ predicted reliability scores. A measure of the brand’s consistency can be seen in the span of their scores, cross-referenced by how many different models they produce. The blue bars illustrate a brand’s consistency by showing the reliability range between its top and bottom model. The numerals indicate the number of models included. We excluded Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Scion, Smart, and Tesla because we lack data on two or more of their models.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-22-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

how to interpret the x axis scale? or any of it?

it's based on 'predicted reliability scores' of models for each brand, based on (up to) 740,000 survey responses (i think). but what is predicted reliability score based on in the survey? i guess if the person filling out the survey reports unreliability events for models.

if it's % better or worse than average, i guess that means a -100 is 100% worse than average, but what does that mean?

if car X, brand Y has 1 unreliability event and it turns out that's AVERAGE, then if car A, brand B has 2 unreliability events they're 100% worse than average, but that's absurd to look at it that way as it should be based on standard deviations.

but it makes for a scary chart.
Old 10-22-15, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

from here it says this:

Consumer Reports’ reliability Ratings show how well vehicles have held up and the odds that an owner could be inconvenienced by problems and repairs. A vehicle's reliability can seriously affect how satisfied you'll be with a car over the years, and it can significantly influence resale value when you're ready to replace the vehicle. Consumer Reports surveys our magazine and website subscribers each year to ask about any serious problems they've had with their vehicles in the preceding 12 months. The latest large-scale survey collected detailed data on more than 740,000 vehicles, giving us a solid source for chronicling past reliability and predicting future performance.
it says 'over the years' so are the incidents based on the same models over multiple model years? what if a brand sold a lot more of a model in one year, with more problems, than another year, where they had less problems? that would skew the results dramatically over a car which started out selling slowly with lots of problems, but they got fixed and then the sales were higher in later years... the latter car would be reported as much more reliable, wouldn't it?
Old 10-22-15, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No system is perfect. But Consumer Reports has what is (arguably) the best system available for determining year-to-year reliability.

I have to agree with ydooby........Audi, a brand which was once known as a classic money-pit when out of warranty, has indeed done quite well the last few years, although if their American-market TDI diesels have to go back to correct emission issues because of the parent VW/Audi scandal, that might impact on future ratings.

Buick is also very impressive....clearly the top domestic American-badge, and with all five of the models average or above. But, I think one reason for Buick's good showing is that the Verano and Regal (which CR gives very good reliability ratings to) are not true American Buicks in the classic sense, but rebadged German-designed Opel vehicles with GM powertrains and extra sound insulation. Buick's upcoming Cascada convertible will also be a rebadged Opel. Opel has lately achieved a good reputation for quality and solidness, though it shows up in vehicle weight. Buick's small Encore SUV also shares in the Opel source, but to a lesser extent.

And, of course, I don't have to expound on the obvious..........what will happen to VW's numbers next year, from emissions-work required on diesels, will be anybody's guess.
Old 10-22-15, 12:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not only some manufacturers missing which the article states, but under 'BRAND' some models are missing. Doesn't say which ones. This study does seem skewed
Old 10-22-15, 12:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Look at Infiniti. They used to be right there with Lexus. Acura too now is in the toilet. Not surprising that Lexus is mopping the floor with these guys in terms of sales...
Old 10-22-15, 01:00 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Wow. I'm at how good Audi is doing.
Old 10-22-15, 01:12 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to Porsche? Didn't they used to have high reliability ratings?
Old 10-22-15, 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
the handful of porsche owners who also bothered to fill out a CR survey had one more issue than 300,000 camry owners who said their cars were perfect, so the porsche gets trashed.

fun thing, 'statistics'.
Old 10-22-15, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how to interpret the x axis scale? or any of it?

it's based on 'predicted reliability scores' of models for each brand, based on (up to) 740,000 survey responses (i think). but what is predicted reliability score based on in the survey? i guess if the person filling out the survey reports unreliability events for models.

if it's % better or worse than average, i guess that means a -100 is 100% worse than average, but what does that mean?

if car X, brand Y has 1 unreliability event and it turns out that's AVERAGE, then if car A, brand B has 2 unreliability events they're 100% worse than average, but that's absurd to look at it that way as it should be based on standard deviations.

but it makes for a scary chart.

Well, imagine average is 100.

Brand with +50% has 50 problems on average, while one with -50% have 150 problems on average.

So the difference is quite large between the two.
Old 10-22-15, 01:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Yes.

Before they were bought off by VW group... now they use VW engines, VW platforms in significant part of their volume and it shows.
Old 10-22-15, 01:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

More specific about Tesla vs other:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...n-reliability/
Old 10-22-15, 01:50 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yes.

Before they were bought off by VW group... now they use VW engines, VW platforms in significant part of their volume and it shows.
Isn't Audi using VW engine and platform?
Old 10-22-15, 02:21 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all the Reliability Surveys, there is really only one brand/manufacture on top, all others around there are totally different or jump up/down year from year according to each media.

It is unbelievable that some Audi/ BMW models are better than the very best Lexus in Reliability, while Mercedes is close to the bottom of the chart. I know that people can have hundreds of excuses to explain it, but it is just too far from my own experience.
Old 10-22-15, 02:31 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default Front Page News!

Good stuff! Here's my front page take on it...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...shes-on-tesla/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Car Reliability Survey 2015