Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla slammed by Consumer Reports, shares slide....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 05:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I didn't know how big this was when I first saw it today, but it was just on NBC nightly news
That's because the focus groups indicate better ratings for a story like that than about Middle East events.
Old 10-22-15, 06:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
amazing how many people "rely" on CR
"rely" on it or use it as a piece of information, among others, to make an intelligent decision?
Old 10-22-15, 06:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How can any REAL enthusiast be surprised at Tesla's issues. Surely you guys didn't believe the hype. First time I had a chance to speak with a Tesla owner I knew the cars had issues. It all starts with the lie that "this is the best car I ever owned." When someone tells me that the bells go off in my head. When I was finished grilling him, I was shocked he still proclaimed to love the car.

But it is a nice car. Not for me but a very nice car. But not many can compare to our reliability standards....and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Not trying to dog out Tesla.
Old 10-22-15, 07:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe what makes this surprising (although it should not be), is the fact that Elon Musk is absolutely worshipped by the press, especially the auto press; it would seem that he is the second coming. They refuse to see and hear the bad side of him, even though we all have both good and bad sides.

Whenever I see great hype about a product or a person, my BS dosimeter starts ringing loudly; and I am going deaf whenever Tesla is in the news. Nothing is perfect, not even Elon Musk and Tesla cars. (One thing to remember: Elon Musk is NOT a founder of Tesla; he bought his way in and the founders have found their way out of the company.)
Old 10-22-15, 08:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I believe what makes this surprising (although it should not be), is the fact that Elon Musk is absolutely worshipped by the press, especially the auto press; it would seem that he is the second coming. They refuse to see and hear the bad side of him, even though we all have both good and bad sides.

Whenever I see great hype about a product or a person, my BS dosimeter starts ringing loudly; and I am going deaf whenever Tesla is in the news. Nothing is perfect, not even Elon Musk and Tesla cars. (One thing to remember: Elon Musk is NOT a founder of Tesla; he bought his way in and the founders have found their way out of the company.)
Elon Musk seems to be a brilliant guy and probably the most significant person today (in tech world), but as with every other human being, he has his weak sides... he does not accept criticism and Tesla PR is quite often over-stating things.

For instance, remember how Tesla is the safest car ever in IIHS tests? Well in European tests, it is just safe car period, nowhere close to for instance Volvo XC90 results which is also very heavy vehicle.

Or how Tesla supercharger charges car in 25 minutes? Truth is that 100% charge is very slow even on SC and takes 110 minutes at SC. 90% is more reasonable at 70 minutes, but still If you queried all of us here, I dont think anyone thinks it takes 70minutes to get to 248 miles worth of charge.

He also attacks viciously any criticism, so when Edmunds.com told their story of several powertrain failures in same vehicle, they got attacked immediately. When media found out about road debris causing fire due to weak plating, they got attacked immediately. Guess what - Rav4 EV with Tesla powertrain, had much thicker plate that protects the battery. What happened month after attack on media? Tesla added much thicker plate to protect against debris.

Or when they added $600 charge for yearly "checkup" where no parts are changed? Or stories about booming Tesla vehicle stock since Tesla does not report actual sales?

Honestly, it is a miracle that Tesla stock is worth anywhere close to what it is right now, but good for them... I want them to succeed badly, but that does not mean that everything is perfect.
Old 10-22-15, 09:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Elon Musk seems to be a brilliant guy and probably the most significant person today (in tech world), but as with every other human being, he has his weak sides... he does not accept criticism and Tesla PR is quite often over-stating things.

For instance, remember how Tesla is the safest car ever in IIHS tests? Well in European tests, it is just safe car period, nowhere close to for instance Volvo XC90 results which is also very heavy vehicle.

Or how Tesla supercharger charges car in 25 minutes? Truth is that 100% charge is very slow even on SC and takes 110 minutes at SC. 90% is more reasonable at 70 minutes, but still If you queried all of us here, I dont think anyone thinks it takes 70minutes to get to 248 miles worth of charge.

He also attacks viciously any criticism, so when Edmunds.com told their story of several powertrain failures in same vehicle, they got attacked immediately. When media found out about road debris causing fire due to weak plating, they got attacked immediately. Guess what - Rav4 EV with Tesla powertrain, had much thicker plate that protects the battery. What happened month after attack on media? Tesla added much thicker plate to protect against debris.

Or when they added $600 charge for yearly "checkup" where no parts are changed? Or stories about booming Tesla vehicle stock since Tesla does not report actual sales?

Honestly, it is a miracle that Tesla stock is worth anywhere close to what it is right now, but good for them... I want them to succeed badly, but that does not mean that everything is perfect.

Agreed! I would like to see Tesla succeed also but I want to see it succeed based on honesty and integrity, not cheating and bullying, and hero worship.
Old 10-22-15, 10:22 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
This would get annoying.

Tesla owners are complaining that the new 'autopilot' feature is accidentally steering them off highways

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autoi...ays/ar-BBmhA7W
yes, very annoying since I could have sworn there was another thread that started about how someone cross-countryed a Tesla mainly using auto-pilot.

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's because the focus groups indicate better ratings for a story like that than about Middle East events.
good point and hits closer to home
Old 10-22-15, 11:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
yes, very annoying since I could have sworn there was another thread that started about how someone cross-countryed a Tesla mainly using auto-pilot.
Autopilot drives Tesla Model S Electric Car Coast-To-Coast (More Or Less)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...t-more-or-less
Old 10-25-15, 02:48 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tesla's are cutting edge tech. Any Tesla buyer knows that. If being a beta test mule is not your cup of tea, get a Prius.

Nothing to see here... move along
Old 10-26-15, 04:57 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any actual Tesla owners on this forum? My model s is at 14000 miles and has had zero problems. And besides, thats what a warranty is for. The $70000+ car buyer demographic is a lot harder to please than the average buyer. Give a model s to all the civic/corolla buyers and you would have no complaints.