Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla slammed by Consumer Reports, shares slide....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 07:54 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't trust CR however if all the supposed hearsay about the LS 460 troubles was really prevalent one can beg the question as to why CR never went after Lexus like they did Tesla.

This is not the first time CR gives out high ratings to certain brands only to trash it later on.
Reporting the results is "going after" and "trashing" nowadays?

If anybody did trashing here, it was Tesla, by not doing a good enough job to maintain original perception of good quality.

And I'm saying that as a huge fan of Tesla.
Old 10-20-15, 07:55 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
this is a long time coming. CR has hoisted Tesla for way too long when in reality, their cars are not well built and designed. Technologically advanced, yes, but well built, no.

Wholeheartedly agree. Structural, technology design is spot on but the interior design is not even close to its competition. Then again, Tesla doesn't really have competition, they play in their own lane right now.
Old 10-20-15, 08:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder where will Tesla land in future J.D. Power VDS
Old 10-20-15, 08:26 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn't know how big this was when I first saw it today, but it was just on NBC nightly news
Old 10-20-15, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

amazing how many people "rely" on CR
Old 10-20-15, 10:44 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my eyes, the problem at Tesla is that vehicles have improved very little in the past two years (while stock price flying). It seems that people over there are running out of ideas.
Old 10-20-15, 11:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
In my eyes, the problem at Tesla is that vehicles have improved very little in the past two years (while stock price flying). It seems that people over there are running out of ideas.
I dont think that is necessarily the problem. Autopilot software update was just seeded to cars and it is the most lax send driving feature out there. In the past two years, they have introduced awd, increased power, and the model X. Those falcon wing doors took a lot of engineering effort, whether you like them or think they are a gimmick. Those doors have sonar that goes through metal (without the nubs we usually see on bumpers).
Old 10-20-15, 11:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Odd thing to say when you consider the basics of the petrol burning car have hardly changed in the last 2 decades at the very least. Mechanically engines are almost exactly the same as when they were invented.
Old 10-21-15, 04:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Reporting the results is "going after" and "trashing" nowadays?

If anybody did trashing here, it was Tesla, by not doing a good enough job to maintain original perception of good quality.

And I'm saying that as a huge fan of Tesla.
If anything, CR went overboard with praising the Tesla without having statistical evidence to back it up... we knew long time ago that people and mags are having problems with their cars... CR turned blind eye as much as they could and reported it only when Tesla did not manage to fix their issues after 2-3 years.

There is no question that Tesla is pushing tech boundaries, but at the same time, they are skipping some steps when getting there which now cant be ignored by CR.

Tesla/Musk also goes after people/mags that post anything negative about company, with horde of blind evangelists behind them. So I have no doubt that CR will get attacked for this, which is again silly since they have praised Tesla for years.
Old 10-21-15, 05:15 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So when is Elon Musk coming out with the rant about how consumers tested were tainted?
Old 10-21-15, 05:32 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tesla's situation is the flipside of Lexus'. CR reviewers really love the Tesla S, they called it the best performing car they ever tested. I suspect that if it were only up to them, they would recommend the Model S. But the actual owners reported that Tesla is not perfect after all, and in fact has below average reliability. CR can't ignore the result of its own survey, so it withdraws its recommendation of the Model S. Meanwhile, CR's reviewers panned several Lexus makes (notably the IS and NX), but the survey respondents tell a different story. Can't really ignore the mass of survey data that contradicts the opinions of some journalists.
Old 10-21-15, 05:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Tesla's situation is the flipside of Lexus'. CR reviewers really love the Tesla S, they called it the best performing car they ever tested. I suspect that if it were only up to them, they would recommend the Model S. But the actual owners reported that Tesla is not perfect after all, and in fact has below average reliability. CR can't ignore the result of its own survey, so it withdraws its recommendation of the Model S. Meanwhile, CR's reviewers panned several Lexus makes (notably the IS and NX), but the survey respondents tell a different story. Can't really ignore the mass of survey data that contradicts the opinions of some journalists.
Yes, that's the way their particular system works. Their Road Test and Reliability info are two separate area. According to them they don't Recommend a car unless it does well enough in the Road Test and has Average or better reliability from their surveys. A lot of cars drive and perform well but aren't necessarily reliable.

I recall they didn't care for the IS250 but said the IS350 is a "much better choice".
Old 10-21-15, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, that's the way their particular system works. Their Road Test and Reliability info are two separate area. According to them they don't Recommend a car unless it does well enough in the Road Test and has Average or better reliability from their surveys. A lot of cars drive and perform well but aren't necessarily reliable.
EXACTLY. If more people clearly understood this, there wouldn't be so many arguments, bickering, false charges, stone-throwing, and vindictiveness in this forum about CR. Many like to criticize CR without actually knowing how it works. I mean, these people aren't dummies. They haven't been in business since 1936 for nothing.
Old 10-21-15, 06:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Not surprised one bit by this. Although Teslas ride nice, their build quality is very poor and you don't need to be an expert to see that.

Cheap materials everywhere starting with the paint and glass and lights, all the way to the interior which looks and feels no more upscale than a $20k Honda.
Old 10-22-15, 05:00 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

This would get annoying.

Tesla owners are complaining that the new 'autopilot' feature is accidentally steering them off highways

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autoi...ays/ar-BBmhA7W

Quick Reply: Tesla slammed by Consumer Reports, shares slide....