Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 07:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move

SAN DIEGO – Changing its vehicle names two years ago to variants of Q and QX harmed Infiniti sales and awareness in the U.S., but company officials still believe it was the right thing to do.

“We saw a drop pretty much across the board when we switched names,”
Sean McNamara, senior manager-product planning for Infiniti Americas tells media at a ’16 QX50 event here.

The nomenclature change was shepherded by former Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen, now president of Cadillac, to align the Japanese luxury marque more closely with its German competitors as it expanded globally.

Infiniti’s naming convention most specifically mimics de Nysschen’s former employer Audi, which uses A for its cars and Q for its utility vehicles. Both brands assign a number or numbers after the letters to indicate vehicle size, segmentation and price. For instance, the upcoming Q30 will be Infiniti’s compact car, while the A3 is Audi’s.
de Nysschen is trully an idiot. He destroyed Infiniti sales and now he is doing the same for Caddy.

http://wardsauto.com/management-stra...nge-right-move
Old 10-16-15, 07:19 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

This same idiot is naming the new Cadillac flagship - CT6 lol.

Just the name alone is going to hurt the sales already.
Old 10-16-15, 08:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Models names like G, M, Q, FX will be missed. Each had a charming character that matched the vehicles look and personality. From the sonorous exhaust notes of G35 coupes which traced roots, to burly V8 M45 sedans and FX45 crossovers. And of course a nod to the under-appreciated Q45.
Old 10-16-15, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Well, if you were in charge, what would YOU name it? I agree that CT6 may not be the best designation, but, IMO, I found the XTS disappointing enough that what really matters is what will be under the skin of its replacement, more so than what they actually call it.
Old 10-16-15, 08:35 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

nah, it wasn't the naming. That's just a coincidence.

Sales dropped because infiniti has a dated and inferior line up, just when competitors were bringing out better and better products.
They have a dated coupe, no flagship, no prestige, still selling the old g37, and the m35 styling repels shoppers.
They've got a sh** hand.

I bet lots of infiniti shoppers left for mercedes.

You could call the mercedes C-class the BBQ350c and it would still sell like hotcakes.

Call the 3-series the YUP3i, and it would sell as well.

Last edited by pman6; 10-16-15 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

Sales dropped because infiniti has a dated and inferior line up, just when competitors were bringing out better and better products.
They have no coupe, no flagship, no prestige, still selling the old g37, and the m35 styling repels shoppers.
They also spent money on (IMO) worthless things like the Q50's steer-by-wire system when those resources could have gone into more productive and needed projects.

You say they have no coupe. The Q60, which, as you note, is essentially an slightly updated G37, is still sold in the American market, and Infiniti, to their credit, does have an all-new Q60 coupe in the works.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/now/futur...auto-show.html
Old 10-16-15, 09:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
nah, it wasn't the naming. That's just a coincidence.

It is not coincidence, Infiniti heads in the article are saying that sales dropped with the naming specifically.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I have no idea what are these same names supposed to mean anymore. And i worked in car industry for 9 years, and follow cars on daily basis.

If I have no clue anymore what is what, I have no idea how do they expect regular people to figure it out... oh wait, they cant.
Old 10-16-15, 09:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is not coincidence, Infiniti heads in the article are saying that sales dropped with the naming specifically.

I still think that's just a cop out

They can't say "our products just suck"

so they blame the names.

Swap all of mercedes names with infiniti's, and infiniti's sales will still suck.

I'll bet $100000000 that E class sales would not drop if they called it the Q70.
Old 10-16-15, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to date i am still confused about the whole new infiniti naming convention
Old 10-16-15, 10:11 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the change should have been gradual, you cant just rename a vehicle while its the same damn vehicle, is that common ? weird to just call a qx56 in 2013 and then it is now a q70 in 2014......and there is no change otherwise
Old 10-16-15, 10:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I was all supportive of the name change, but if the sales are not there. Then it is pretty clear the new nomenclature was a mistake.
Old 10-16-15, 11:33 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can they change them back? LOL
Old 10-16-15, 11:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Can they change them back? LOL
Lol. Can go back now.

The bigger issue is the brand...
Old 10-17-15, 12:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I have been an Infiniti owner for 11 years. I bought my G35 coupe in 2004 and it was a wonderful experience the whole time I had it. I was completely loyal to the Infiniti brand because it was catering to the sport oriented driver that wanted good reliability and value. Unfortunately, Infiniti has strayed far from that core experience. I lamented the Q50 as it became softer and more luxury oriented. It lost the nice handling and the cars also became way more expensive. Ironically, Lexus has now surpassed Infiniti in terms of sport. That was the day Infiniti lost me as a customer and I went to Lexus. It's not the naming convention. It is the products now that are killing sales
Old 10-17-15, 01:27 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have been an Infiniti owner for 11 years. I bought my G35 coupe in 2004 and it was a wonderful experience the whole time I had it. I was completely loyal to the Infiniti brand because it was catering to the sport oriented driver that wanted good reliability and value. Unfortunately, Infiniti has strayed far from that core experience. I lamented the Q50 as it became softer and more luxury oriented. It lost the nice handling and the cars also became way more expensive. Ironically, Lexus has now surpassed Infiniti in terms of sport. That was the day Infiniti lost me as a customer and I went to Lexus. It's not the naming convention. It is the products now that are killing sales
Concur.

In 2001 I had leased a Q45 and loved the ride engineering, quality, and service, even got my kiddo a 2004 G35 which according to C&D had taken the BMW 3 series head on. Since those vehicles I moved on to other brands, and the last ten years I wouldn't even visit the dealership, I am so repulsed by their stale products.

Quick Reply: Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move