Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 06:38 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Hyundai is not the best example, especially Genesis... where Coupe and Sedan are nothing alike and priced very differently. They have their own problems with trying to sell luxury vehicles with low-market brand or rather not willing to invest into new premium brand.
I agree. The coupe is a different animal from the sedan. But in terms of pure brand marketing discussions, Hyundai has tried to resist imitating the Germans with alphanumeric naming. Yes the Kia K900 is an absurd exercise in selling a large sedan but maybe they'll get past that and move on.

Lexus did this too. LS400, LS430, GS400, GS430. Toyota had some great names: Celsior, Aristo etc. But they knew nobody would pay $50 -75K for a Toyota so they resorted to creating a brand.

Personally I would love to call my GS an Aristo!
Old 10-18-15, 06:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Acura went through the same challenges many years ago when they discontinued the Legend name, which was pretty well-known and respected, and went with the TL designation. I'm still not sure the average person knows what a TL is (and now it's a TLX).
Old 10-18-15, 07:06 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Acura went through the same challenges many years ago when they discontinued the Legend name, which was pretty well-known and respected, and went with the TL designation. I'm still not sure the average person knows what a TL is (and now it's a TLX).
Legend-->RL-->RLX
Old 10-18-15, 10:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is not coincidence, Infiniti heads in the article are saying that sales dropped with the naming specifically.
just because infiniti heads say that doesn't mean it's true. can be an excuse. can be coincidence. obviously infiniti's line, while not terrible, is not all that impressive overall so i expect sales are down just due to increased competition.

I have no idea what are these same names supposed to mean anymore. And i worked in car industry for 9 years, and follow cars on daily basis.
well you don't know the names because you don't care. it's really not very complicated with q for sedans and qx for utilities of various sizes (3,5,6,7,8,etc), just like audi with a and q models.

If I have no clue anymore what is what, I have no idea how do they expect regular people to figure it out... oh wait, they cant.
if people like what they see they'll figure it out. the public didn't know what an "nx" was until it came out, but now it's out and there's interest, some know what it is. i can guarantee that 70% or more of the u.s. public have absolutely no idea what a lexus nx is. but those that see one on the road (and like it) or are looking for a small suv and find it through searching online for example, will figure it out.

car names are MEANINGLESS except for branding and even then, bmw changed the 'oh so important' number of their best selling coupe from 3 series to 4 series and it had NO impact on sales.
Old 10-18-15, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just curious how you came up with this information? Did you read it somewhere or is it just your opinion?
A little of both. Some of it is simple common sense, but the statements of some automakers have also verified that. Of course there are a few exceptions, mainly in the Audi and BMW camp.

The only Japanese-designed open-top AWD vehicle I can remember (if you can remember any more, feel free to post) was the ill-fated Suzuki X90, an awkward design with only minimal sales. Not surprisingly, it didn't last very long. And it wasn't a true convertible...more along the lines of a T-Top with removable panels.

Old 10-18-15, 10:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

well you don't know the names because you don't care. it's really not very complicated with q for sedans and qx for utilities of various sizes (3,5,6,7,8,etc), just like audi with a and q models.

if people like what they see they'll figure it out.
Have to agree with bit here....though it's not necessarily a matter of people liking or not liking what they see. The alphabet soup from automakers may look (or seem) daunting at first, but familiarity comes with repeated exposure to it. An then, just when everybody is getting used to it........some new managers come along and change it to something else LOL.
Old 10-19-15, 05:29 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have to agree with bit here....though it's not necessarily a matter of people liking or not liking what they see. The alphabet soup from automakers may look (or seem) daunting at first, but familiarity comes with repeated exposure to it. An then, just when everybody is getting used to it........some new managers come along and change it to something else LOL.
You mean like switching to common core?
Old 10-19-15, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The declining sales are less about the naming conventions and more about the fact they just don't offer anything many people actually want to buy...
Yes,I agree.
Old 10-19-15, 06:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont understand Infiniti or Acura. Both companies either use the Maxima/Altima platform or Accord/Civic platform for all their models and calls it luxury. Since when is a sales decline a good thing? Especially it is over a name change?
Old 10-19-15, 08:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I dont understand Infiniti or Acura. Both companies either use the Maxima/Altima platform or Accord/Civic platform for all their models and calls it luxury. Since when is a sales decline a good thing? Especially it is over a name change?
You're completely wrong about Infiniti. Most of the platform is unique and only share the chassis with the 370z. Lexus sells way more cars based on Toyota chassis than Infiniti sells on Altima chassis.
Old 10-19-15, 08:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The declining sales are less about the naming conventions and more about the fact they just don't offer anything many people actually want to buy...
Yup. This will be fixed soon thankfully. The Q30/QX30, Q50 refresh, and Q60 will be a good start.
Old 10-19-15, 08:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

What was the last major vehicle launch/redesign they had? I was thinking it was the Q50, but that seems like ages ago and I haven't been following much since.
Old 10-19-15, 09:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This same idiot is naming the new Cadillac flagship - CT6 lol.

Just the name alone is going to hurt the sales already.
At least he learned something--Caddy is only changing the names as it puts out new/updated models.
Old 10-19-15, 09:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
What was the last major vehicle launch/redesign they had? I was thinking it was the Q50, but that seems like ages ago and I haven't been following much since.
It was indeed the Q50.
Old 10-19-15, 06:16 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say Infiniti marketing team royally screwed up on the renaming of the models. A horrible decision.

The G has years and years of brand recognition, There is a lot of value in that. It takes a long time to build a model brand like that. And in one swift swoop it's all gone.

I say the marketing guy at infiniti smoked too much pot and over fantasized on the brand strategy.

that's like lexus changing up the IS line to C class, like bmw changing 3 series brand to a name like "autobahn". It's just plain stupid, and hence, u see the sales results now.

Quick Reply: Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move