Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 340i First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 BMW 340i First Drive

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-...s-first-drive/

Engine: Turbo 3.0L I6
Power: 320 HP / 332 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic
0-60 Time: 4.8 Seconds
Top Speed: 130 MPH
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 3,695 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 22 City / 33 HWY
Base Price: $46,795
As Tested Price: $59,295

If the 3 Series were a person, it would suffer from crippling anxiety. This has nothing to do with the way the car behaves on the road, and it's not a result of its styling. No, it's because so many people expect so much from the 3er. The model is held to the highest standard, which it tends to set itself, and when it doesn't deliver, it hears about it.

So it was when BMW introduced the F30 3 Series sedan for 2012. This was a good 3 Series, but few thought it was great. The car lost some of its edge, instead chasing the comfy-luxury crowd that arguably makes up more of the buying public. The vocal Bimmer-loving minority wasn't pleased. Critics, us included, called the car out for its soft suspension tuning, less-than-perfect electric power steering, and chintzy interior details. Enthusiasts instead waxed nostalgic about the E90 generation that came before.

But now, the 3 Series can relax again. BMW managed to address most of the issues in this F30 refresh for 2016. The suspension has been reworked, the steering programming overhauled, and the interior is now more befitting a dignified sporty thing from a luxury brand. For good measure, BMW is introducing a new turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six with more power that the car didn't really need.

That new engine comes with a new out-of-thin-air badge, 340i, replacing the 335i and its N55 six. The updated 3 Series sedan will continue to be offered as a 320i with a turbo four, and both sedan and wagon keep a 328i with a higher-power version of the same engine, as well as a 328d turbodiesel. While those models' engines are unchanged, they all benefit from minor exterior styling updates (lights and bumpers) and the de-cheapified interior, as well most of the mechanical updates. Most of the content from the former Sport Line package, like Sport seats, the Sport transmission, Sport gauges, gloss black exterior trim, and black exhaust tips, is now standard on all but the 320i. Those extra standard features and the new engine bump the price up $2,050, from $44,745 for the 2015 335i sedan to $46,795 for a 340i.

Our test drive focused on the 340i, since it's got the new engine. The B58 mill is a single solitary cubic centimeter off of the N55 3.0-liter's it replaces, but it's based on a new modular architecture. BMW is using the same bin of bits and pieces to create inline engines with three cylinders (Mini, i8) and four (2016 X1) as well as this six-cylinder. The 340i's engine makes 320 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque, up from 300 even on both measures for the N55. It's additional output that the car didn't exactly beg for, but the new engine does respond more quickly, its turbo ingesting air more efficiently on account of shorter intake runs. While turbo lag was already well under control on the N55, this new engine mimics a naturally aspirated BMW six even better. To top things off, it's at least as efficient as the engine it replaces, with EPA ratings either staying the same or improving depending on the drivetrain (rear- or xDrive all-wheel drive) and transmission (six-speed manual or eight-speed auto).

Cars equipped with the manual inherit the automatic rev-matching function from the M3 and M4. It works well, but it's on all the time unless you switch to Sport+. Other manufacturers let the driver turn the system on and off at will independent of drive mode, which we find preferable, especially since the Sport+ calibration can be too sensitive, even when you're in road-attack mode. We'd like to be able to mix and match, even if the setting were buried in iDrive somewhere. There are reasons people still buy manuals, after all. To them (and us), the clutch pedal is a feature, not a bug.

The eight-speed ZF auto gets some efficiency enhancements and a wider ratio spread. The quickest 340i, according to BMW, is the xDrive automatic, which hits 60 miles per hour in a claimed 4.6 seconds. The manual xDrive is 0.2 second slower, and the respective rear-drive models are 0.1 second behind the all-wheel-drive versions. And yet we'd still choose the slow rear-drive manual. Partly because it's nowhere near slow.

We drove 340s with and without the Adaptive M suspension and both have greatly reduced body roll tendencies. The car responds like a 3 Series again instead of chasing the cushy C-Class feel that even Mercedes has abandoned in the latest generation. It's back at that nice balance of know-the-road's-under-you and filter-out-the-big-stuff.

And speaking of filtering things out, the steering still does, but thankfully less so. So it's better but not perfect. The zone of indecision at the center has been removed, with the wheel responding to inputs directly even in those first few degrees off dead ahead. Oh, and the M Sport wheel is still way too chunky.

We're not huge fans of the M Sport package, but a new-for-2016 Track Handling package has us somewhat intrigued – and a bit conflicted. For $1,700 it includes variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on 18-inch wheels. The key there is the tires; they stick real good, bringing the experience that much closer to M3 territory. The rest of the items are unnecessary unless actual track work is on the horizon. The adaptive suspension is still kind of take it or leave it, the variable steering offers confusing assist at odd times, and the stock brakes are just fine. It's a good value if you want most of that gear, but just remember that tires are also sold separately.

Although the interior changes have no bearing on the way the car goes down the road, the adjustments have been visited upon the right places to remind you why you shelled out the money. There's some little satin chrome trim around the window controls, gloss black on center stack, and your choice of trim extends from the dash to the front doors and all the way to the rear cabin, making the back seats feel like they're also part of a luxury car. The interior gatekeepers have relented and you can now order brown leather without the Luxury package. This type of thing seems like a real triumph at the German manufacturer. To complete the upscale experience, BMW added a lid for the front cup holders. Because that's just classy.

All's well that gets refreshed well. The 3 Series can cancel its Xanax prescription, at least until the next time BMW decides it wants to change things up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/15/2...#slide-3664683
Old 10-15-15, 05:20 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love if anyone could justify what do you get for $60K in entry luxury segment no matter what model or brand it is. This segment is ridiculously overpriced and its just keep going up.
Old 10-15-15, 07:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I would love if anyone could justify what do you get for $60K in entry luxury segment no matter what model or brand it is. This segment is ridiculously overpriced and its just keep going up.
I think it really depends on the car. I would have a hard time justifying $60k for a 3 Series, but I didin't hesitate to give up $60k for my S5 which is essentially an "entry luxury car" since it is based on the A5 (which is based on the A4). However, for my $60k I get a timelessly beautiful coupe with a really well-finished interior (nickel switches, carbon fiber, real aluminum, upgraded leather) and a drivetain that makes me smile everytime I mash the gas and take the corners. It feels as solid as a tank. To me, that's worth $60k, mostly for the solidity and crazy driving experience. I guess the fact that the S5 is more exclusive doesn't hurt either. People that don't appreciate cars aren't going to go into an Audi dealer and plop down $60k for a car with two less doors and a tighter interior, so that in itself will keep it more exclusive. You see BMW 3 Series at every stoplight.

But I do agree with you that the price points of the basic entry luxury models are getting quite high.
Old 10-15-15, 07:41 PM
jsix2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's especially difficult to justify when a base M3 starts at 63k.
Old 10-15-15, 08:34 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How is it overpriced when the buyers are willing to pay for it?
Old 10-15-15, 10:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sat in one last week at the dealership, fully loaded with M sport and blue color, I would say it's a minor bt good improvement inside out, couldn't take a test drive so can't comment on the driving dynamics.
Old 10-16-15, 01:40 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that an iPad they stuck on the dashboard? This is a very disturbing trend. Lexus is doing it as well on at least two model.
Old 10-16-15, 03:35 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Amazing to consider that my 2008 IS-F was 60k OTD.
Old 10-16-15, 07:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Is that an iPad they stuck on the dashboard? This is a very disturbing trend. Lexus is doing it as well on at least two model.
It's been that way since 2012. How long have you been asleep?
Old 10-16-15, 07:25 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

not gonna lie, i love the look of this car. the tweaks will be sure to put it back to top of the class in this extremely competitive sector.

and hopefully this new engine proves more reliable than the N55 with its HPFP and turbo failures.

Lexus needs to step up their game with the IS. it was arguably better vs the pre mmc 3 series even with the older engine but now it needs an update fast
Old 10-16-15, 09:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Because there are so many lines or series of BMW, for a moment I thought this was a new series to slow between a 2 series and 4 series.
Old 10-16-15, 10:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

With that price, its only a matter of time before BMW has to spin a 1-Series sedan Stateside to better compete against other new entry levels like the A3 and CLA, because the A4 and C-Class are also getting expensive.

Even though some may complain the IS350 lacks some 'punch', you can get a 2016 with Nav/ML, F-Sport, BSM and PCS/DRCC for $49,044 MSRP and more standard features included
Old 10-16-15, 10:51 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwong77
How is it overpriced when the buyers are willing to pay for it?
The majority of 3 series sales are leases on the poverty edition of the 320 and 328 models.
Old 10-16-15, 11:06 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
not gonna lie, i love the look of this car. the tweaks will be sure to put it back to top of the class in this extremely competitive sector.

and hopefully this new engine proves more reliable than the N55 with its HPFP and turbo failures.

Lexus needs to step up their game with the IS. it was arguably better vs the pre mmc 3 series even with the older engine but now it needs an update fast
I think you are referring to N54 engines.
N55s were solid and I have had no issues with the one in my 535i.
Old 10-16-15, 11:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm currently shopping the 340i and M3 as my lease is ending in few months.
Obviously M3 is what I want but may have to settle for 340i.

340i Msport is a great value imo.
A similarly equipped M3 is at least 15k more.

Plus you can get 340i close to invoice if you shop around.
M3 allocations are limited and dealers are not negotiating much on the price.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 340i First Drive