Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2016 Toyota Tacoma

By forum-member requests, a review of the all-new 2016 Toyota Tacoma

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma

IN A NUTSHELL: The Honeymoon's over, Chevy Colorado.........You've got some competition.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, Nissan Frontier.

;

;

;

;

;

(3.5L Atkinson-Cycle V6)

;

;

;

OVERVIEW:

Ah, yes, the trusty, reliable Tacoma.........the quintessial and obliquitous Japanese-brand work/sport truck and off-road Queen. Like the Energizer Bunny, they've been around forever, and seemingly keep running forever. Other Japanese-nameplate (or Japanese-designed) small-to-medium size pickups have come and gone in the American market, such as the Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator, Toyota Hi-Lux, Isuzu P'up, Mazda B-series (originally Japanese but later on rebadged Ford Rangers), Ford Courier (a rebadged Japanese Mazda), Chevrolet Luv (a rebadged Isuzu P'up), the awful Isuzu I-series (more on them below), and Honda Ridgeline (which, though otherwise versatile and useful, was not a true pickup in the frame-rail, work-truck sense).

No, all of these other small-to-medium Japanese-nameplate trucks, except for the Nissan Frontier and possibly the Honda Ridgeline (now discontinued but which may return with a new design) have come and gone in the American market. The Tacoma, like the Frontier, though handily outselling the Frontier, has quietly soldiered on, being a favorite among several different core-buyers, such as those who want a basic work-truck, sport-truck enthusiasts, and those who want a competent and hardy off-roader. It is one of those uncommon trucks that, depending on trim-line and options, has managed to do all three well, accounting for its popularity. Both Toyota and Nissan, of course, have also attempted to break into the tough-as nails American full-size truck market, home to some of the most fanatically loyal customers on the planet. The Nissan Titan, for the most part, never even got to first base, being plagued by its limited versatility and its early quality control problems from the Canton, MS plant. The Toyota T-series and Tundra got a little farther than first base (but not much), with The Toyota designers taking some 12 years (from 1994 to 2006) for Toyota to finally get both the size AND drivetrain correct. Even then, when the size and powerplants were finally suitable, the Tundra was still not the equal of the domestic full-sizers in several areas, including the durability of some of its parts and trim. Both, of course, are still for sale in the American market, but both (the Titan more so than the Tundra) are vastly overshadowed by the huge-selling F-150s, Silverados, and Rams.

Not so the case with the smaller Tacoma, which solidly earned its place in the American market. Like the Jeep Wrangler, the Tacoma became an off-road cult-machine, particularly with the solid but stiff-riding TRD underpinnings. (TRD models are not recommended for weak backs or kidneys). Earlier versions were more basic utilitarian in nature
than later ones, which generally became more plush and added more features inside, appealing to sport-truck fans but also retaining a lot of their utilitarian work-nature if needed. After the Ford Ranger was withdrawn from the American market, the Tacoma had little competition here, outside of the markedly less-popular Nissan Frontier. The first-generation mid-size trucks from GM (Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, and the rebadged Isuzu I-series) were just awful in their design, quality, and general competence......IMO, to even call them rental-grade was sharply overdoing it. They were not, and could not, be true competition for the Tacoma. Today, about the only ones I still see on the road are with technicians at utility or cable companies doing very light-duty work like installing or repairing cable-TV, FIOS, satellite TV, etc...) The second-generation Colorado/Canyon, introduced last year, was a tremendous improvement in every way (I can't overstress how much). Not surprisingly, the Colorado's initial hoopla from the introduction and auto-press attention stole some thunder from the Tacoma's long-established market (I gave the Colorado high marks myself in my own review).

Didn't take very long, though.........in the space of only a year and a half, Toyota has answered the meteoric rise of the GM mid-size trucks with an all-new Tacoma of its own, including a new Atkinson-Cycle V6. It is the latest culmination of the long line of small/medium-size Toyota trucks which were first introduced into this country decades ago. But, along the way, some snags appeared...it wasn't always smooth sailing.

The 1980s-vintage Toyota trucks, for example, which were generally small in size, were otherwise quite durable, but prone to serious rust in a line around the base of the bed, where the bed was attached to the chassis. That was because of politics. The 25% tariff on complete imported trucks (which the free-trade Reagan Administration opposed, but reluctantly went along with because of pressure from domestic truckmakers), forced Toyota to build most of their truck assemblies in Japan, ship them to our West Coast, and weld the beds on at the big West Coast warehouse. They used poor-quality welding material, and after a few years, a line of rust would break out at the base of the bed.....you couldn't stop it, no matter how often you washed the truck or removed road salt, because it rusted out from the inside of the weld. Over time, it would get worse and worse, until the entire bed rusted clean off. By the 1990's, Toyotas had solved that problem...partly by starting to assemble more vehicles here in the U.S. that were not subject to the tariff.

For 2016, the latest-generation Tacoma comes in 5 different trim levels......SR, SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and Limited, with the SR being the most basic, minimal-frills, light-duty work model, and the Limited being the plushest. Two engines are offered....a 2.7L in-line four of 159 HP and 180 ft.-lbs. of torque, and a new 3.5L Atkinson-Cycle V6 of 278 HP and 265 ft.-lbs. of torque. 5 or 6-speed manual transmissions, a 6-speed automatic transmission. RWD or part-time 4WD is offered......Toyota apparently chose not to offer the full-time 4WD option found on some domestic pickups. Access or Double-Cab sizes, and short or long bed lengths are offered on the various models.....see the web-site for details (too complex to list here). Base prices run from $23,300 to $34,745 for the many different models/configurations/trims......again, see the web site for details.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/#!/models

As usual, before the test-drive, I looked at a few different interiors and trim/color-choices. But, for the actual review, I chose one of the more expensive versions, because I believe that is the way that a lot of new Tacomas will go out the door...V6, 4WD, Double-Cab, Long-Bed, and TRD Sport suspension. Based on my experience with past Tacomas (some of which I wasn't terribly impressed with, comfort-wise) I got a rather pleasant surprise with this newest one on the road.......details to follow.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 Automatic Double-Cab Long-Bed

BASE PRICE: $34,340

OPTIONS:

V6 Towing package: $650

Carpeted Mats/Door Sill: $209

Chrome Exhaust Tip: $90

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $$900 (reasonable, for a vehicle of this size and weight)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $36,189

DRIVETRAIN: Part-Time 4WD, Longitudinally-Mounted 3.5L Atkinson-Cycle V6, 278 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 265 Ft-lbs. @ 4600 RPM, Automatic Limited-Slip-Differential.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 18 City, 23 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Silver Sky Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Refined, reasonably strong Atkinson-Cycle V6.

Slick-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.

Surprisingly good ride comfort.

Reasonably good (though slow) steering response.

Decent handling for a truck this size.

Relatively easy entry/exit for taller persons.

Good underhood layout.

Vault-solid doors.

Reasonably good body sheet metal.

Some nice paint-color choices in upper line models.

Side mirror-mounted turn-signals.

Simple, easy-to-decipher control layout.

Easy-to-read gauges.

Relatively simple, easily-used controls.

Well-located brake pedal for large feet.

Nice tailgate-damper.

A genuine spare tire.

Good previous reliability record.

(Likely) intense competition with Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon may keep deal-prices down.

MINUSES:

Full-time 4WD/center differential not offered like on some domestic trucks.

Wide turning circle on long-bed/double-cab models.

Cheap unimpressive interior materials/trim.

Paint color choice too limited in lower-line models.

Inconsistant paint-finish between metal and vinyl parts.

Hood opening/closing very difficult for short persons.

Somewhat hollow-sounding stereo speakers.

Stylish but cheap-feeling plastic grille.

Non-locking gas filler door.

Slightly spongy brakes.

Flat, hard-padded seats lack support.

Rather tight accommodations for tall persons in rear seat of Double-Cab model.

EXTERIOR:

Outside, the first thing you notice about the new Tacoma is that the designers obviously tried to make the truck, particularly the front end and grille, look more muscular and aggressive than before. The new six-sided grille is significantly larger than the last one, though it is made out of a rather thin (for a truck) flimsy-feeling plastic. The new sheet metal seems quite solid by today's standards....perhaps too much so for the hood (more on that below, in the next section). On top of the hood, square in the middle, is a large power-scoop reminiscent of those seen on some performance cars......in this case, fake and non-functioning, but trying to enhance the aggressive look and image. The doors (again by today's standards) are like bank vaults, and shut with a very solid and secure thunk.....even more so when you are sitting inside. The side mirror housings swivel and lock easily, and, on my test-vehicle, had nice built-in turn signal indicators.

Like its Colorado/Canyon competition, this is also a rather large truck by mid-size standards, especially the model I reviewed here, with its extended wheelbase, Double-Cab, and long-bed length. I can remember comparable-model Tundras that were this size, especially when the Tundra was still a 3/4-scale, not full-size pickup. So, it obviously takes some care to maneuver and park this beast...more on that later. In back, my test truck came with a nice black composite-material bed-liner to protect the sheet metal in the bed. Built into the bed itself (and bed-liner) were a couple of nice metal tie-down rings. Like on the Colorado, the solid and heavy tailgate has a built-in damper that makes it easier to drop, and it shuts and locks with a loud vault-like thud. A factory tonneau-cover is available, if desired, but it costs over $600 as a factory option.....you can probably get one cheaper aftermarket if and when they become available. I wasn't impressed by the limited (and dull) paint-color choice on base models...but, as price and trim-level climb, more colors become available, including a nice bright blue (which would probably be my choice). The paintwork on the sheet metal panels was the usual Toyota/Lexus mirror-like finish and smoothness, but, on some colors (particularly black), the matching-color paint-finish on the vinyl/plastic trim and bumper pieces was noticeably rougher and less-shiny.....you could tell the difference side-by-side. All of the exterior hardware was reasonably well done and solid (unlike the larger 2Gen Tundra, which debuted in 2006/2007 and had problems with a lot of the plastic trim-parts breaking). The gas filler-door snaps but does not lock, which can invite gas-siphoning, though with gas in many parts of the U.S. at not much over $2 a gallon for regular, siphoning is not likely to be a problem. Though it is under the rear of the truck in a rather difficult to reach location, a REAL spare tire is standard....pickups, especially 4WDs, usually don't fool with that temporary/donut/Fix-a-Flat nonsense.

UNDERHOOD:

Like with the Chevy Colorado, lifting the hood on the higher-stance versions of the new Tacoma can be a major problem for shorter adults...it was a problem even for me, at 6' 2". First, the hood is on the heavy side (it doesn't appear to gave gone to aluminum like the new F-150). Second, the successful attempt to make the truck look taller and more muscular/aggressive (which I explained above) also jacked up the heavy hood some and increased the vertical distance that it must be raised. Third, your arms have to do all the work (one holding up the heavy hood and the other fiddling with a manual prop rod) because the bean-counters in the design department decided that it would cost too much to add struts. I've complained about heavy hoods and prop-rods before, but, because of the height, it usually not as much of a problem for shorter people as it is here....and, to be fair, the similiar-stance Colorado had much of the same problem (if you readers think I'm being overly-picky here, try it yourself).

Once the hood is up and propped (there is no underhood insulation pad, though the engine isn't noisy to start with), the general underhood layout is very good, except for the fact that it's a high reach over the fenders or grille to reach anything. The underhood compartment is roomy enough that even the relatively big V6 easily fits in with room to spare, and a number of components on the side of the block are easily reached, though the big plastic engine cover restricts some top-access. The battery is on the right, completely uncovered (with terminals easily accessable). All of the dipsticks/filler/caps/fluid-reservoirs are easily accessible. This compartment, IMO, is roomy enough that it might be able to take a small V8, but Toyota doesn't offer one in the Tacoma......to get one, you have to move up to the full-size Toyota Tundra.

INTERIOR:

Though the hood may have been mounted too high for some people, getting in and out is relatively simple by truck standards, even without a running board (which my test-truck did not have). The designers somehow made the seat-height of even the taller 4X4 models not much higher than my own rump/torso height. I didn't need the running-boards to slide in and out fairly easily. But it should be noted that I'm taller than average (6' 2"), and that shorter people might have more of a stretch up and down to get in or out. Once in and seated, the doors, as I mentioned above, close and slam with a bank-vault-like thud, giving the impression of solidness. The gauges were simple and easy to read. The *****/controls were also simple and easy to use. Even the video screen, which combined the back-up camera, stereo, and NAV functions, was relatively easy to use by today's standards. The seat fabric seemed quite durable, and felt like it would last for years. The sun visors and headliner were covered in a fairly nice material..

Unfortunately, much of the rest of the interior, though not what I would call ugly, seemed like it was hit by the bean-counters. The two-tone interiors, as usual, IMO (and this is subjective) looked better then the black monotone. But, in general, much of the trim and hardware looked and felt cheap. In a $36K vehicle, one must pull and tug on levers to manually adjust the front seats. The glove box door shut like it had a toy lock out of a Cracker-Jack box. The stereo itself seemed good enough, but the tinny speakers tended to weaken and distort the sound quality. The steering wheel's rim, while a lot better than the hard-plastic ones I learned to drive with decades ago, didn't feel that nice to hold. The gauges, while easy to read, had cheap-looking housings. The dash and door trim materials seemed bargain-basement, and the relatively flat front seats had super-hard-padded cushions that IMO compromised both comfort and support (of course, I admit I'm used to cushy Buick seats LOL). Headroom in front was OK for taller guys like me, but, even with the tall roof and roomier Double-Cab (as opposed to the smaller Access-Cab), headroom in back was just barely adequate, and, with the front seat set where I usually want it (which is not all the way back), legroom in back was also a little tight.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

N/A....the bed is already covered in the EXTERIOR section.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the Atkinson-Cycle 3.5L V6 with a nice START/STOP button, and it fires to life with the smoothness and refinement found in most Toyota/Lexus-designed power plants. The power level, even with this trick's size and weight, is fine for ordinary driving with a light load, though I didn't test it fully-loaded. The engine was fairly quiet on the road, though some noise could be heard during moderate or strong acceleration, maybe partly from the lack of an underhood insulation-pad. The 6-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission shifted smoothly and seamlessly whether in manual or automatic mode. I like a straight fore/aft shift-design for the lever, and personally don't care for the zig-zag shifter designs used by Toyotas and some other vehicles (I used to list them as a complaint in the MINUS section). But, since some people have no problems with that, and, in the interest of respecting the opinion of others and of noting that each person's tastes are different, I won't list that as a complaint any more. My test-truck had the factory tow-package, though I did not see the usual TOW/HAUL-mode button on the shift lever that many trucks have to block out the top gears while towing (that helps keeps the engine from straining and lugging under a heavy load) . There seemed to be a dash-button, however, that did more or less the same thing.

The chassis/suspension was a REAL surprise.....probably the most pleasant surprise I had during the whole review. Previous Tacomas have been noted for their stiff, bouncy rides, especially with the even stiffer TRD off-road underpinnings. Like the Dodge Ram engineers did a few years ago (and Ford did to a lesser extent this year with the new aluminum F-150), it looks like the Toyota engineers have addressed that rough ride with the latest design here....I couldn't believe I was riding in a Toyota truck. My test-truck had the TRD underpinnings in the slightly milder Sport version (there is also a TRD Off-Road version which is probably a little stiffer, though I didn't test it). But, even so, I was pleased with the ride-comfort of this particular truck. No doubt the weight and the truck's relatively long wheelbase, by themselves, helped smooth out some of the bumps, but it was clear that the engineers had burned some midnight oil. Besides the other suspension improvements, they also seemed to have softened up the spring/shock dampening some. You could not only feel, but also actually see the softer suspension dampening if you come to a stop and tap the brakes hard right before you stop....the hood-line and front end will actually dip and pitch down about two inches or so and rebound. One can still feel and hear sharp bumps, but they are now much more muted than before. However, I don't know how well the new, softer suspension will handle a full load or tow-weight, as I did the test-drive relatively lightly loaded. There are other truck-reviews, of course, that can probably answer that question.

Sound levels on the road also seem to be more muted than before. Wind noise and tire noise (road noise can be a big problem with some off-road tire-treads) were quite well-muted for this type of vehicle. Steering response was definitely on the slow side, but that is to be expected in this type of vehicle (even with good engineers, you can't make a big, nose-heavy body-on-frame truck handle like a Miata). And body roll, despite the weight and softer suspension dampening this year, was held in reasonable check for a truck of this size. The brake pedal is located quite well for a big Men's size 15 clown-shoe like mine.....I didn't have much of the pedal-snagging problem, when lifting my foot from gas to brake, that I do in some vehicles. The brakes themselves had a slightly, but not seriously, spongy feel. Drum brakes are still fitted to the rear of all new Tacomas, but, while dated, I didn't list this as a complaint because Toyota justifies it on the grounds that lightly loaded pickups (the way trucks are usually driven) don't put much pressure on the rear brakes, and that they didn't hear much from past Tacoma owners about actually wanting a change. Of course, you can bet that the production-cost was also a factor.

THE VERDICT:

Overall, a good job, Toyota....especially on the new chassis and suspension. The new Colorado and Canyon certainly have some credible competition now. In general, based on the (admittedly) limited time I had in reviews and test-drives, I'd rate the two about equal. GM did a better job on the interior fit/finish, overall trim materials, interior seating comfort, brakes, and having a choice of two versions, Colorado and Canyon, with some different exterior styling. Toyota, in contrast, wins out in powertrain refinement, suspension/riding comfort, ease of control-use, and, of course, in a long-established record of mechanical reliability (the new Colorado/Canyon, though light-years ahead of their predecessors in design, are still relatively new and untested). Otherwise, IMO, there's not much difference between the two of them....take your pick.

So, in the American market, if you're currently interested in a smaller-than-full-sized truck, the Colorado/Canyon and Tacoma are clearly the only real choices, except for the somewhat dated Nissan Frontier (Nissan has designed a replacement for the Frontier, but currently not for the U.S.market). So, IMO, you can't really go wrong buying either the GM or Toyota.....both of them seem quite competent and well-built, though, of course, time will tell if the two GM versions will be more reliable than their predecessors. As of now, we're still waiting from Ford to make a final decision (there have been some hints) on whether the updated Ranger will return to the American market...I will, off course, be ready to review it, if and when it does.

And, as always......Happy Truck-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-15 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-14-15, 11:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot, and full review again by Mike! Thx, I enjoy the read
Old 10-15-15, 01:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great review! I'm dazzled by the new exterior styling, but the ghetto-blaster and chunky dash styling has me wishing for something else. I miss the days Toyota offered carlike dashboards and materials in their off-road vehicles. Why did the combination of ruggedness and capability on the outside and luxury on the inside disappear over the last 15 years? I thought that was a huge draw for the brand, with tons and tons of 4-Runners and Tacomas flying off the lots.
Old 10-15-15, 05:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400

Woot, and full review again by Mike! Thx, I enjoy the read
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Great review!
Thank You. The road manners and comfort-level on the road, even with the TRD Sport-level suspension. really surprised me. I was expecting the usual Tacoma bounciness of the past.

I miss the days Toyota offered carlike dashboards and materials in their off-road vehicles. Why did the combination of ruggedness and capability on the outside and luxury on the inside disappear over the last 15 years? I thought that was a huge draw for the brand, with tons and tons of 4-Runners and Tacomas flying off the lots.
As far as the interior goes, I don't ever remember the Tacoma being what one would truly consider plush inside.......nor was that ever its marketing aim. Even upmarket SR5 versions have always had pretty basic and utilitarian trimmings inside, though there was a significant shift on the 2Gen model (2004-2005) from a basic-work-truck interior to something with a slightly more sporty look inside. Still used a lot of basic painted plastic, though.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-15 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 12:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the write up.

I had a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 door, short bed, with the 6 speed manual transmission. I freaking loved the thing. I am considering picking up one of the new ones. My only hang up is that, in the full 4 door version, the manual transmission is only available with the short bed, which I found to be too small in my Tacoma. So I will likely have to choose between a manual/short bed and an automatic/long bed.
Old 10-15-15, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the write up.
Glad you liked it.

I had a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 door, short bed, with the 6 speed manual transmission. I freaking loved the thing. I am considering picking up one of the new ones. My only hang up is that, in the full 4 door version, the manual transmission is only available with the short bed, which I found to be too small in my Tacoma. So I will likely have to choose between a manual/short bed and an automatic/long bed.
The short-bed length in the new Tacoma is 60.5"....a little over5 feet. Is that the same as the length on your old 2011 Tacoma? I'm assuming that, from your post, it is.

FYI, according to the web-site specs, the new 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, Double-Cab (full 4-door) Short-bed is available with the manual transmission...but only with the V6 and 4X4.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-15 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 12:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
FYI, according to the web-site specs, the new 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, Double-Cab (full 4-door) Short-bed is available with the manual transmission...but only with the V6 and 4X4.
That's the problem though. I want the full 4 door manual transmission version with the long bed, not the short.
Old 10-15-15, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
That's the problem though. I want the full 4 door manual transmission version with the long bed, not the short.
Yes, you're right. None of the trim-versions for 2016 offer that exact combination.....or, from what i can see, any manual long-bed versions at all. This is only a guess, not necessary fact, but perhaps it has to do with the added weight of the long-bed/Double-Cab version.......Toyota might not (?) have a clutch or manual transmission available that is both beefy enough to handle the added weight of that extended-length truck, its full rated tow or payload, AND will actually bolt onto the existing Atkinson-Cycle 3.5L V6. Or, it's possible that, though you yourself specifically want one (and I certainly respect that) , Toyota simply doesn't project enough demand nationwide for that exact version to justify offering it. That, of course, would be a marketing issue, not a mechanical or engineering one.

it's your call, of course, but, if I were you, though, I'd just consider getting the automatic. Your new truck will (probably) depreciate less in the long run, and your left leg and knee will certainly appreciate if or when you get stuck in heavy stop and go traffic.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: 2016 Lexus RX, when it is released.
Old 10-15-15, 10:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some added details for you:

Tailgate damper on Tacoma assist with the opening, prevent it from crashing down, but doesn't assist with lifting it back up, unlike almost any other pickup truck.

TRD Sport will actually have the stiffest ride of the Tacoma lineup, TRD Off Road will be a bit softer.

Interior materials - There are actually quite a bit soft touch/pad materials in the cabin and dash, unlike the new Chevy Colorado which has nearly none outside of a small pad on the door armrest.

Quietness is due to some added sealing around the cabin, between the doors, and cab to bed seal, as well as an acoustic windshield.

Short bed length is NOT 50.5 inches, it is 60.5 inches, or 73.7 inches for the long bed, so 5 feet and 6 feet effectively.

Manual Transmission availability with the double cab long bed is not due to weight/clutch/transmission strength. The # of variants and added costs for various engineering certifications are balanced against potential sales.
Old 10-16-15, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Some added details for you:

Tailgate damper on Tacoma assist with the opening, prevent it from crashing down, but doesn't assist with lifting it back up, unlike almost any other pickup truck.
Well, it wasn't that heavy a tailgate to start with. I haven't seen a pickup truck (yet) that actually raises the tailgate by its own power, so you must be referring to a system that simply gives some boost-assistance to your own muscles.

TRD Sport will actually have the stiffest ride of the Tacoma lineup, TRD Off Road will be a bit softer.
Maybe so. I didn't sample the Off-Road. But the Sport Suspension, combined with the standard wheels/tires for that trim-level, was surprisingly comfortable...much more so than I had anticipated, compared to past Tacomas. Tacomas have been criticized in the past for overly-bouncy rides, and perhaps the company was listening this time.

Interior materials - There are actually quite a bit soft touch/pad materials in the cabin and dash, unlike the new Chevy Colorado which has nearly none outside of a small pad on the door armrest.
Yes, the Tacoma has some soft materials on the door panels and dash......but IMO they still looked and felt cheap. I felt those in the Colorado were somewhat nicer in appearance and feel.

Quietness is due to some added sealing around the cabin, between the doors, and cab to bed seal, as well as an acoustic windshield.
I agree. The doors, as I mentioned in the review, were relatively solid and hefty, so it's not surprising that they'd have some insulation in them.

Short bed length is NOT 50.5 inches, it is 60.5 inches, or 73.7 inches for the long bed, so 5 feet and 6 feet effectively.
Yep......Thanks, a typo on my part. Sorry about that. (I corrected it)

(What happened was that I was aware of the 60.5" length, but I thought I saw a version on the web site that had an even shorter bed, at 50.5". As you correctly noted, though, that was not the case).

Manual Transmission availability with the double cab long bed is not due to weight/clutch/transmission strength. The # of variants and added costs for various engineering certifications are balanced against potential sales.
Yes, I agree. That's why I replied to the earlier post that Toyota may simply have not anticipated enough potential demand to offer the exact combination he wanted.....the manual with the long-bed and Double-Cab. It's a shame that automakers can't always offer the exact combinations that we want (I've run into that myself many times)...but such is the realities of life.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 09:11 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about getting a truck for the family and this review was very helpful, thank you!!
In a $36K vehicle, one must pull and tug on levers to manually adjust the front seats..
I can't believe it doesn't come with power seats with a 36k asking price...
Old 10-16-15, 09:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FCReulB

It doesn't have to have power seats.It will sell well,anyway.

A refreshed Tacoma with better engine..Great truck with better interior but the interior still has a cheap look to me.
Old 10-16-15, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FCReulB
I have been thinking about getting a truck for the family and this review was very helpful, thank you!!
Good...glad it helped. That's why I do them.

Probably an attempt to keep both costs and weight down. Power seats,of course, mean extra weight in both motors and linkage.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It doesn't have to have power seats.It will sell well, anyway.
Yes, I agree. Toyota usually knows what will sell and what won't....but they had also better be careful, because GM, now, for the first time, has mid-sized trucks that are serious competition for the Tacoma. The new Colorado is definitely not the piece of junk the last one was.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-15 at 10:03 AM.