Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 04:26 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus

So you've decided to purchase a Lexus, but you don't know whether or not you want to buy new or used? Today's How-To Tuesday article is here to help!

Read the rest in the Club Lexus how-to section. >>
Old 10-13-15, 05:59 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I personally only buy used. I am currently looking at a 2013 GS350 with 30K miles, luxury package, CPO for $34K. That was around $60K new. Even if I drive it for 3 years I will not have the same loss the first driver did. I just can't justify buying a new car when the cars I buy look new and cost half the price.
Old 10-13-15, 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I used to buy new or lease but stopped that crap. When I buy a 2-3 year old car the last owner eats a mjority of the depreciation. I can also buy a higher end vehicle. I usually buy them 2-3 years old and extend the warranty through Lexus and now I have a newer car thats reliable and safe . In the end the warranties are refundable if I sell the car for something else so its a no brainer
Old 10-13-15, 06:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Only buy new. I like to know where it's been and how it's been driven. I'm addicted to the new car smell, too.
Old 10-13-15, 06:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my last 2 used Lexus vehicles

2007 LS460 I bought in 2010 with 29k miles fully loaded for 38K. The car new was 74K

2010 ISF I bought in 2014 with 21k miles on it fully loaded and in the rare MRM for 40k. New it was 66K.

Bottom line is old people buy Lexus vehicles and they are leased much of the time so they are well maintained and driven easily.
Old 10-14-15, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I'm a new car person. The financial benefits of buying used are clear, but cars are important to me, I derive a lot of enjoyment out of my cars and having them from new enhances that enjoyment for me. Plus I lease for business, and the options for leasing used cars are few and far between (although I hear they may be improving on CPO cars).

Some people have boats, belong to country clubs, have big houses they don't need...I drive nice cars bought new. It all evens out.
Old 10-14-15, 06:53 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the CPO Lexus vehicles to be honest...longer warranty/service from the dealer, and getting into a higher end vehicle than you normally could afford when new is a big plus for anyone, as mentioned above.

right now we are in the market for a new car, thinking RX FSport or even dropping down to the NX since it'll be for the wife...but came across many 2015 GX460 CPO's and the deals are too good to pass up considering we're getting a basically new CPO GX that cost upwards of $60k new, for the same amount as a new RX today. vehicle is a bit bigger than we initially considered, but for the price and warranty behind it, it is not a bad option to consider.
Old 10-14-15, 06:55 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I generally buy used for me and new for the wife. Although, being an **** financial guy my current MDX was new with 0.9% financing.

Just curious about the disclaimer on the article: "This article applies to the Lexus IS, ES, GS, and RX (2005-2013)"? The generalizations in the article seem to apply in any used/new comparison.
Old 10-14-15, 07:06 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Used is the way to go. I got a fully loaded '14 12K miles IS350 Fsport w/ ML, VGRS, and extras like tint and xpel on the whole car from a private party for $36K. brand new that woulda been over 50K. Wish I coulda waited longer to be honest. spending this much on myself was pretty out of my comfort zone.
Old 10-14-15, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

used just means you spend less money, not that you're necessarily making a better decision for all.

i like knowing no one's owned it before me and i like the latest features. so yeah, i buy new.
Old 10-14-15, 10:39 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

It really depends on what car you're buying. I'd rather wait until the year end to ****** a new one at discount than to buy a used one and save a few grands more.

If I buy CT, I really don't care much. If I want RC-F, I would want a new one because buying a coupe is less rational than anything.
Old 10-14-15, 09:27 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also buy used, alway's have always will. I can just get so much more car for my money. Now my wife on the other hand is all about new haha.
Old 10-14-15, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In most cases, can't beat 'em brand new. That's usually the way to go.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-15 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-14-15, 11:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to pay cash and buy used cars so I can spent less for a higher end car that I wouldn't be able to afford. Then I drive it for a while, usually 6 months to 1 year and sell it a little less than I spent and move on to another one. But this was getting old and no matter how much I pay, like my last CPO 750Li individual, for 75k, it was still an used car, and everytime I get in it, it keep reminding me it's an old car that someone has driven it before me. Traded that in after one year of ownership, total loss= 29k.

Then I start leasing new for my business, and to consider I never keep a car for more than 3 years, leasing new is the way for me. I can drive the newest, better tech, fresh design, enjoy the new car smell all the time. Don't have to worry about depreciation, drove it for 3 yrs or less and move on to the next one. In short 2 and half years, I have 5 cars leased under me. And since I always get the new style, people know I drive brand new cars not bought a used model. I love cars, and life is too short for me to get stuck with one car for too long that I can't taste something different, So I will probably only lease till I retire, or ever!
Old 10-15-15, 01:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

New is always greater than used. There is no question about that. However, it all relates to finances. If you can't afford new and/or trying to save money, used is smart. I'd only do that with Lexus, Toyota, Honda, and Acura. Wouldn't trust the longterm aging of other makes.

Quick Reply: Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus