Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic light timers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 10:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Traffic light timers?

BMW'S REVOLUTIONARY NEW DASHBOARD TRAFFIC LIGHT TIMERS

Posted on: 10, September, 2015
Traffic lights are one of the biggest headaches drivers encounter. How do you know exactly when the light is going to turn yellow so you know if you should be slowing down? BMW recognized this problem and have come up with a resolution. The new dashboard traffic light timers are designed to help predict when lights will change based on your location and the speed at which you’re traveling. This technology is currently available on some smartphones, but BMW has added it to the dashboard for easier use.

A Preview of What’s to Come

Many drivers try to anticipate whether a traffic light will change by the time they get there based on their own experiences, but how accurate can a human be? In most cases, it is extremely difficult to determine whether you should begin slowing down to avoid slamming on your brakes, which can lead to needing BMW repair service, or if you will make the next light. The new dashboard timers will let you know the current status of the next traffic light, as well as determine whether it will be green, yellow or red as you approach it based on your speed and position. A countdown timer will help you keep tabs on this status.

It Even Works When You’re Sitting Still

Some devices and features won’t work as well when you’re sitting still because they are designed to work when the car is moving. However, if you’re sitting at a light, waiting for your chance to turn, the BMW timer will detect the use of your turn signal and calculate based on the next upcoming light on your new route. This is a great feature because you will know what you’re up against, even if it’s not straight ahead.

Currently in a Limited Market

While the new dashboard traffic light timers will be an asset to many drivers who want to improve their driving habits to reduce the need for BMW service at an independent auto repair shop, it is currently only available in limited markets. Currently, it can only be used in areas of Nevada, Utah, California and Oregon. Drivers must also own an iPhone equipped with the EnLighten app in order to use the feature. While this only allows a limited number of people to try it out, it will eventually catch on and become more widely available.

Car manufacturers are constantly working hard to stay on top of the latest trends to offer their customers the best features. For this reason, BMW has now implemented the dashboard traffic light timers, which are designed to reduce the number of times you have to slam on your brakes because the light changed at the last minute, causing more wear and tear on your vehicle that requires BMW repair service. This new feature will soon be found in many cars on the road, but BMW is the first to add it.

Source: http://www.autoscope.co/blog/bmw-27s...c-light-timers
Old 10-02-15, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

That would work best in an area where traffic-lights operate more or less on a regular fixed-cycle, over a wide area. But, many areas, particularly with dense traffic and at intersections where large variations in through and cross-traffic occur throughout the day and night, light-cycles at each intersection are individually timed and or controlled by computers. I don't think that computer-cycles for each individual intersection could feasibly be programmed into systems for auto-dashes....it would just be too complex.

IMO, a more effective (and realistic) system would be if the steady green light started flashing say, five or ten seconds before it turned yellow. That would give you a little extra time and let you know that you should prepare to start slowing down.......and save having to hit the brakes at the last second.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 12:07 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I live so far out the city that traffic lights are controlled by presence of vehicles at the intersection, esp the left turn signal.
Old 10-02-15, 01:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that if you're not speeding and apply brakes appropriately when the light turns yellow, you generally come to a calm stop by the time it turns red.. /s
Old 10-02-15, 02:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,047 Likes on 2,560 Posts

Some intersections here have a countdown timer (where the walk/don't walk signal is) I find this very useful I wish all intersections had it.
Old 10-02-15, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd rather they just develop smarter traffic lights. You know, the ones that just stay red for several minutes even though there is no other cars around. Let me go already damm*t! Wasting time, gas and wear on the vehicle
Old 10-02-15, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd rather they just develop smarter traffic lights. You know, the ones that just stay red for several minutes even though there is no other cars around. Let me go already damm*t! Wasting time, gas and wear on the vehicle
I'm with you on that. And, in addition to that, lots of traffic-lights could simply flash yellow on one side and red on the other, say, between 10 or 11 PM and 4 or 5 AM when there is little traffic out.....but, for some odd reason, they just remain on the regular green/yellow/red cycles, forcing people to stop and wait for nothing.
Old 10-02-15, 08:28 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

See my response above. Where I live, that is already a reality.
Old 10-03-15, 07:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
See my response above. Where I live, that is already a reality.
Induction loop - that is what is used in my city.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop
Old 10-03-15, 04:12 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I find that if you're not speeding and apply brakes appropriately when the light turns yellow, you generally come to a calm stop by the time it turns red.. /s
wth r u doing on an enthusiast site??!!! oh wait, this is club lexus. never mind, carry on.
Old 10-03-15, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
I find that if you're not speeding and apply brakes appropriately when the light turns yellow, you generally come to a calm stop by the time it turns red..

True in some cases, but it depends on how far you are from the light and how long the yellow cycle lasts before going to red. It's usually around 5 seconds (sometimes more)...but can be as low as 3, especially if they are trying to raise some revenue LOL.
Old 10-03-15, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, a more effective (and realistic) system would be if the steady green light started flashing say, five or ten seconds before it turned yellow. That would give you a little extra time and let you know that you should prepare to start slowing down.......and save having to hit the brakes at the last second.
It is a good idea but it won't work, in the Greater Toronto Area there are pedestrian clocks that tell you how much time is left before the light will change. Drivers can easily see the count down and speed up, I do it all the time to beat the light. Also, flashing green in Toronto means advanced left turn, it is not used very often but there are some lights that have them.

Whatever your idea is or if you change your idea a bit has to be universal so it is easy to understand
Old 10-03-15, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is a good idea but it won't work, in the Greater Toronto Area there are pedestrian clocks that tell you how much time is left before the light will change. Drivers can easily see the count down and speed up, I do it all the time to beat the light. Also, flashing green in Toronto means advanced left turn, it is not used very often but there are some lights that have them.
Yes, flashing green means an advanced left turn here, too, but it is usually done with a flashing green arrow, not a full-circle green. Your point, though, is well-taken....I should have thought of that.

The only other idea I had was the green light gradually fading as the time remaining on it lessened, but that probably wouldn't work during low-visibilty conditions or for people with vision problems (driver's-licensing procedures in the U.S. are sometimes rather lax with marginal vision, and a number of people with uncorrected or questionable eyesight are behind the wheel). As an ex-pilot, I know the importance of lighting in low-visibility conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 09:30 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

There are already sophisticated computerized smart traffic signal systems available. The problem is they cost money. Many municipalities simply don't have the budget to afford them. Traffic signals are at the low end of the totem pole when a politician decides where he will vote to spend money to get reelected.
Old 10-04-15, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

On rare occasions I can get them to change by flashing my hi-beams profusely