Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lease Up Next Month! What Do I Do? So Many Choices!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 10:40 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease Up Next Month! What Do I Do? So Many Choices!

First time Lexus driver here. Leased a brand new 2013 GS 350 26 months ago, My lease is up in 27 months, which means first week of November. The time has gone by very quickly, as this was the first time I leased a car.

In the past I always purchased, either finance or cash, but being unfamiliar with the Lexus brand I decided to be cautious and lease it. The car has been tremendous. Best vehicle I've owned in terms of comfort, tech, luxury, power, and sportiness. A real driver's car. She goes over 120 mph in a flash and smooth as butter. Wow, what a car! I've been real tempted to buy it and keep it, but I'm getting along in years and ache to try new things including cars. I mean, that's why people lease, right?

But there are so many choices! What do I do? I've considered getting a 206 GS, but how different would it be? I'm not a Lexus fanboy. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I love the GS but....

I love the improvements announced to the 2016 Jaguar XF. It looks awesome. I wouldn't touch the earlier years, but the 2016 looks classy with tech that goes beyond what Lexus offers on the GS.

I've also done two test drives in a Porsche Macan. Loved it, especially the higher end Macan Turbo. The problem? The cars come stripped down--basically very little except a great performance engine. To equip it to my standards (I gotta have the bells and whistles) would send the price into the stratosphere that would make the sticker on a brand new Lexus LS look like cheap. But the worst part is the tech. It is strictly 10 years ago tech. That's ridiculous. Great performance is not enough for me.

I've considered the Dodge Charger Hellcat. The Hellcat is awesome, but in the end, it's still a Dodge. I can't get over my belief that Dodge quality totally suchs the big one. Back when my kids were little our low mileage Dodge Grand Caravan's engine started on fire inside our garage with the engine turned off. I bought Japanese after that.

My lustful eye has now fallen on the Jaguar F-Pace SUV. It's drop dead gorgeous. It's going to kill the Macan because not only is performance on par with the Porsche, but the tech is the latest and greatest. Even better, Jaguar is undercutting the Macan S's price (comparably equipped with options) by about 10K.

Anybody else thinking about the Jaguar F-Pace? I've watched 17 video previews and reviews, and visited my local dealer to ask questions (and to cancel my order for a 2016 XF).
Old 09-28-15, 10:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macan S nice optioned could be 80k which is ridiculous, I don't think you have time to get the new GS facelift since your lease is due soon, that being said, is the Jag SUV out yet?
Old 09-28-15, 10:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

You're leasing this one right? I say if you like the XF, go for it! Not that many things should go wrong in the first couple years and anything that does would normally be covered under the warranty
Old 09-28-15, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Check out the Hyundai Genesis 5.0L. Don't let the Hyundai nameplate (or dealership) stop you...trust me; this is an awesome car, and, on the road, does just about everything superbly...far better than its predecessor.

You don't necessarily have to buy or lease one, but at least check one out.....I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 09-28-15, 11:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jag, especially with their new covered maintenance and aggressively low pricing on new models (bringing it in line with or below the competition rather than the premium they used to try to command), seems like they really want to get on shoppers radars!

I agree with the Macan, drove a Macan S the past two weeks. It had $13k worth of options, but still no smart key/push button start, no cooled seats, no voice control for navi, vanity mirrors weren't illuminated, etc. Like you mentioned, great power and well sorted chassis, but tech seems a bit old and the nickel and dime option stuff would really irk me.

Would have to check the tech in the XF. I believe the Discovery Sport has the new infotainment system right now, and while better than the outgoing Jag/Land Rover stuff, still seems a bit wonky in terms of the interface and still some lag.
Old 09-28-15, 12:00 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Macan S nice optioned could be 80k which is ridiculous, I don't think you have time to get the new GS facelift since your lease is due soon, that being said, is the Jag SUV out yet?
My lease is up in less than five weeks but Lexus told me I could extend for six months on a month-to-month basis, which is pretty cool.

The F-Pace is supposed to be available in the Spring. So, a six month extension on my GS lease should be just about right. I hope.

MMarshall: I did check out the Genesis 5.0. I almost went for it 3 years ago, but they didn't offer AWD then on the top-of-the line, biggest engine model and I wanted the fastest one with AWD. That may have changed, but the Genesis has been passed now by the 4th Gen Lexus GS and 2016 Jaguar XF.

Last edited by Trek; 09-28-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 07:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Definitely don't tune out the 2016 GS, which has received a very nice upgrade in the new model year.
Old 09-28-15, 07:45 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G Star
Definitely don't tune out the 2016 GS, which has received a very nice upgrade in the new model year.
I haven't. I love my GS. I'll definitely take a look at the 2016's when they hit the showroom. But I'm leaning in the direction of the Jag F-Pace. It's so different. I want to try different cars while I still can. I've never bought/leased the same make and model two times in a row. In fact, I've never purchased the same brand and model car, used or new twice in my entire life and I'm 61. I guess I'm not very loyal.
Old 09-28-15, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

if macan or jag suv size is of interest but you like power, check out a jeep grand cherokee srt. http://www.jeep.com/en/grand-cherokee-srt/
Old 09-28-15, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
MMarshall: I did check out the Genesis 5.0. I almost went for it 3 years ago, but they didn't offer AWD then on the top-of-the line, biggest engine model and I wanted the fastest one with AWD. That may have changed, but the Genesis has been passed now by the 4th Gen Lexus GS and 2016 Jaguar XF.

The Genesis of 3 years ago can't compare with the new one, which is far better in almost every respect. But you have a point......the V8/AWD combination is still not available in the U.S. Hyundai says it is because of our upcoming gas-mileage rules here.
Old 09-28-15, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It sounds like you are all over the board. I'd say slow down, take a deep breath, and try to relax. You are referring to your own GS, which you love. If you love it, keep it! Yet you want something better? Then you reference a new GS, but fear leasing the same car/brand twice in a row? So what. If it's a great car and it makes you happen, who cares about the idea of getting the same thing. You aren't here to please others, you are in the business of pleasing yourself. Then the new F-Pace six months from now... not even in the same category as anything else listed here. It's going to cost a FORTUNE. Brand new Jag, never sold before, hot SUV segment, in limited supply, be prepared to dish out twice the price of a GS and pay full price or over. I wouldn't waste my time with such hype, but that's my own thing. New Jags have always lost their value and luster very quickly, and I expect this one to as well (even though it may be very good). And buying an all new model at sticker or above is a horrible financial decision if you are into wise financial decisions and making your dollars count. If you are made of money, then disregard that last sentence.
Personally, I would keep what you have and enjoy it. Or if you are aching for a new car, just get the facelift GS. It's an incredible value with all the virtues you already know exist.
Best of luck!
Old 09-28-15, 11:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Btw, I wouldn't do another GS, I did similar thing before: I had a 09 750Li and traded it in for a 13' 750i due to the facelift, new engine, newer tech. But only less than 6 months after when the new car feel wear off, I feel like driving the same car as before, which I paying a lot more for. I would say since you want a change, get something different, you only live once and don't have many other '3 years' for basically the same car.
Old 09-29-15, 05:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Btw, I wouldn't do another GS, I did similar thing before: I had a 09 750Li and traded it in for a 13' 750i due to the facelift, new engine, newer tech. But only less than 6 months after when the new car feel wear off, I feel like driving the same car as before, which I paying a lot more for. I would say since you want a change, get something different, you only live once and don't have many other '3 years' for basically the same car.
+1, new cars from all makes generally work for at least the first 3-5 years. With long term reliability out of the way, just go for whatever piques your fancy
Old 09-29-15, 05:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a VW diesel? Ha ha--JK.
Old 09-29-15, 06:16 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

I wouldnt count on the GS 2016 since it is almost the same car. How about Bmw 435I XDrive Grand Coupe. Thats 4 doors awd. I think it the best looking sedan now and that twin turbo is so fun to drive.

Last edited by EthanV; 09-29-15 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Lease Up Next Month! What Do I Do? So Many Choices!