Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How will the 25year old import law drive 90s-2000 Japanese Sports car values?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 02:24 AM
freezingco
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How will the 25year old import law drive 90s-2000 Japanese Sports car values?

Will the 25 year import Law make USDM Japanese cars cheaper?

I'm talking about highly sought after cars right now like unmolested Supras, FD Rx7s, STis, and Evos.
Old 09-24-15, 11:37 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even with the Import Law allowing it, aren't these terribly expensive to ship over here? Same with the parts, are the model specific parts hard to come by? Don't think it will do much to the domestic models used value.

That being said, I saw a 3000GT in pretty decent shape, looked like a late model, '95? Always thought those were a good looking car. With today's turbo technology I bet they could be made pretty beasty.

I would not poo poo the idea of seeing more 90's Japanese iron rolling around, some of the best cars from Japan reside in those years.
Old 09-25-15, 03:58 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking that I should start a business importing RHD Supras in 2018 when it becomes legal. Prices should come down somewhat on that car, right now NICE turbo Supras go for 35-50k, 20k will buy you a non-turbo junker.
Old 09-25-15, 10:10 AM
freezingco
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Even with the Import Law allowing it, aren't these terribly expensive to ship over here? Same with the parts, are the model specific parts hard to come by? Don't think it will do much to the domestic models used value.

That being said, I saw a 3000GT in pretty decent shape, looked like a late model, '95? Always thought those were a good looking car. With today's turbo technology I bet they could be made pretty beasty.

I would not poo poo the idea of seeing more 90's Japanese iron rolling around, some of the best cars from Japan reside in those years.
They aren't terribly expensive, since the R32 skylines have became legal, I've been seeing Heaps of r32 GTRs and have even heard that their price doubled in Japan. Right now, i feel like unmolested Supras, FD RX7s, Evo IXs, are future collector cars..... I'm just curious what will happen to their value once you can import the JDM equivalent to the USA.
Old 09-27-15, 09:17 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it would be a nice business venture to buy good condition Supra's, RX-7's, 300ZX's, 3000GT's, NSX's from Japan or even Europe and then sell them here. Mainproblem is right hand drive, converting to left hand drive probably cost a lot and is a huge pain if it is even possible, market for left hand drive would be very limited. It is not just the cars sold in the US that I would be interested in, Mitsubishi FTO's, Mazda Cosmo's, 3.0 tt SC's and GS's, Euro Accord type R's, Silvia's, etc.

I like what the guys do on "Wheeler Dealers", buy American cars really cheap in the US because of exchange rates and then sell them at big profits in the UK/Europe once they fix them up.