Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of Lease Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 10:39 PM
Paulf1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Lease Issues?

I have read many informative posts on here regarding buying and leasing a Lexus. What are some things that I should be aware of when it comes time to turn in the car at the end of the lease period?
Is Lexus more difficult and picky when turning in compared to other makes?
Known general issues,
Over milage.
Dents, Scratches in paint.
Worn tires
Old 09-24-15, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Read the lease-contract carefully (yes, there will probably be fine print) on the wear-and-tear clauses. Most leasees are aware of what their mileage limitation is, and of the surcharges if that limit is exceeded, but not necessarily for the wear-and-tear clauses, which deal with things like number and types of dings, length/depth of paint-scratches, cracks in the glass (state safety-inspections also sometimes deal with glass-cracks), seat-upholstery wear, amount of tire-wear, etc....

Your car will (probably) be formally inspected when you return it, and any problems will be noted. Of course, if you think they are being overly-picky on the inspection (you should see how I inspect a used car LOL) or write you up for something unfairly, you do have some recourses, which vary by state law, type of contract, and whether you can just go ahead and buy out the car for its remaining residual value. if you buy the car, of course, it's yours, and whether it has scratches or not is no longer an issue..at least with them.
Old 09-25-15, 02:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulf1
I have read many informative posts on here regarding buying and leasing a Lexus. What are some things that I should be aware of when it comes time to turn in the car at the end of the lease period?
Is Lexus more difficult and picky when turning in compared to other makes?
Known general issues,
Over milage.
Dents, Scratches in paint.
Worn tires
Here you go. It's all in here. You can get away with quite a bit.

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/s...et_10_2013.pdf

I have only ever leased one Lexus, and we turned it in at lease end. It was absolutely painless. Absolutely no issue with anyone fussing over minor wear and tear, and this was a car that had the pleasure of being a school run vehicle for much of its life.