Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ideas for a $5k small SUV. No stranger to high miles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 04:56 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bear in mind that this is for a woman and small children. Also trips across state lines. I have been spoiled by my ls400 and could not bear to drive long distance in a tank. I figured a compact suv would be ideal considering what I have previously mentioned plus decent mpg for long distance and the ability to take on the pot hole that wasn't avoided or driving way too fast into the driveway - type of abuse. Something built purely for off-road is overkill.

I really like the idea of the outlander/crv/rav we will just have to see if the fit is right, considering my long frame, and the power is adequate.

I appreciate the pointers on what to look for/avoid.
Old 09-21-15, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by clhnsn55
I really like the idea of the outlander/crv/rav we will just have to see if the fit is right, considering my long frame, and the power is adequate.

I appreciate the pointers on what to look for/avoid.
Because of its high depreciation rate in the U.S. market, the Outlander might be a bargain as a used vehicle and, like I said in an earlier post, a good choice if you found one in good condition. They are, according to Consumer Reports, generally better than avenge in reliability, though not up to the level of, say, a RAV-4. The main snag with one, especially if you prefer to have service done at dealerships (which many owners do not with old vehicles), is that Mitsubishi has a very sparse dealership network. You won't find one on every street corner like with Ford, Chevy, or Toyota. And, if Mitsubishi does decide to totally leave the U.S. market, good luck reselling it.
Old 09-21-15, 06:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You might also want to consider a 4 Runner. 1996-2003 generation with the 3.4 v6/automatic is a tank of a vehicle and extremely reliable. Resale is very high on them, that's why I wouldn't even bother looking at a newer one(and the newer ones are probably bigger than what you want anyways).
Old 09-21-15, 09:16 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You might also want to consider a 4 Runner. 1996-2003 generation with the 3.4 v6/automatic is a tank of a vehicle and extremely reliable. Resale is very high on them, that's why I wouldn't even bother looking at a newer one(and the newer ones are probably bigger than what you want anyways).
I looked at 4 runners prior to my Sienna. That was #2 on the list. Anyway, great recommendation!
Old 09-21-15, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Bear in mind that this is for a woman and small children. Also trips across state lines. I have been spoiled by my ls400 and could not bear to drive long distance in a tank. I figured a compact suv would be ideal considering what I have previously mentioned plus decent mpg for long distance and the ability to take on the pot hole that wasn't avoided or driving way too fast into the driveway - type of abuse. Something built purely for off-road is overkill.
So you want something that isn't a tank to be able to survive tank like abuse and ride like an ls400 for 5k. Good luck with that.

Old 09-21-15, 10:39 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So you want something that isn't a tank to be able to survive tank like abuse and ride like an ls400 for 5k. Good luck with that.

I never said that.
Old 09-22-15, 10:05 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Although not a true SUV, but the Kia Soul is a nice "box" that can be had for low cost with high miles.
Old 09-24-15, 08:33 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with mmarshal. Look at Mitsubishi SUVs. High depreciation has those cars really cheap out there. Most other import CUVs are pretty hefty in price, even for older ones with high mileage. Or go American. Less reliable but strong and cheap(er) to fix. My parents have a 06 Explorer V8 and it rides like an older Caddy. Can barely feel road imperfections, my father likes it because it floats like his old LS400. It has had its slew of problems but the engine and frame are strong.
Old 09-24-15, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
My parents have a 06 Explorer V8 and it rides like an older Caddy. Can barely feel road imperfections, my father likes it because it floats like his old LS400.
really? maybe cuz my 06 v8 was a 'limited' with the 18" wheels it was firmer but i felt pretty much EVERY imperfection in the road, even with new tires. on the plus side my explorer was very quiet... AND perfectly reliable.
Old 09-24-15, 07:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Suzuki Samurai
Old 09-24-15, 08:06 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Let's stop recommending Mitsubishi. Their on the way out.
I think the op has left the building lol but a lot of good recommendations.

Refresher
Toyota 4 runner are made to be off road their spacious and ride pretty well.
Toyota rav 4
Honda crv
Ford explorer

Let me.add Subaru. Good solid cars with excellent cargo room and can take the abuse. They also have the benefit of having a solid aftermarket parts available to tweek the suspension to your needs since many are hybrids made for off road & city.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-24-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 06:02 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

I'm still around. I have been trying to schedule a weekend in Dallas to find a vehicle as the selection here is weak. I have honestly been leaning more towards highlander/mdx/xc90 2.5t. Apparently those volvos are solid. I realized that a bike would not fit in the back of a small suv. That is kind of what we need.
Old 10-02-15, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Suzuki Samurai

Too unstable. They flip too easily.
Old 10-03-15, 03:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still around. I have been trying to schedule a weekend in Dallas to find a vehicle as the selection here is weak. I have honestly been leaning more towards highlander/mdx/xc90 2.5t. Apparently those volvos are solid. I realized that a bike would not fit in the back of a small suv. That is kind of what we need.
just add a bike rack that goes in the tow hitch. they're awesome.
Old 10-03-15, 04:06 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I don't think highlander and mdx can be bought for 5k...Volvo prob as well.

Quick Reply: Ideas for a $5k small SUV. No stranger to high miles.