Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ideas for a $5k small SUV. No stranger to high miles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-15, 12:52 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for a $5k small SUV. No stranger to high miles.

I am in the market for a 4-5 year small SUV. My 03 Impala (wife's daily driver) which was mint until a series of fender benders has developed a braking shake which is refractory to brake job, wheel hubs, tires, and swaybar end links. Every other test I know(ie wheel shake at 3 and 9 o'clock etc, low speed figure 8s) has been non-diagnostic. Apparently these impalas have brake issues to begin with.

Anyway I am 1.5 years from making a salary and need something to replace her car. I would regret not getting something I could haul around single pieces of furniture etc and a small SUV fits the bill. My budget is tight and my income is negative so I have been looking at early 2000's with around 130-160k miles. Current garage: 220K LS400 (small oil leak), a 230K cutlass ciera (I can't figure out what to do with but runs amazingly), 170K impala (non-engine issues).

Current watch list
CRV: haven't driven yet but I imagine it drives like a honda ie noisy but tight. Most well kept cars will bring just go for just above my budget

RX300: haven't driven but I imagine it drives like a lexus. Turning radius scares me considering my wife will be driving/parking it.

Escape: All but X'd from my list after test driving a 1 owner well-kept car. It lacked the "tightness" that inspires confidence and engine was very loud.

Pilot and XC90: price and MPG are a little out of my means but I would stretch for the right deal + I don't know about XC90 reliability

Rav4: few and far between

Forester: too small for my legs on long trips. All subarus have been lumped into this category especially considering hit and miss reliability and no real cargo room when compared to small SUV

AM I MISSING ANYTHING??? Any input/feedback would be great.
Old 09-20-15, 01:08 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from the 1999-2001 CR-V. They have a problem with burning valves if they are not adjusted religiously. We had the head rebuilt on ours twice! The 1997-1998 has a slightly different engine with less power, not sure if it has the same problem or not. Also, ours was pretty scary trying to merge into traffic due to exceptionally poor acceleration.

Did you look at 1st generation Highlanders? I Would avoid the V6 ones due to oil sludge issues. Otherwise, I think they are pretty solid.

Last edited by sivikvtec; 09-20-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 04:12 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Stay away from the 1999-2001 CR-V. They have a problem with burning valves if they are not adjusted religiously. We had the head rebuilt on ours twice! The 1997-1998 has a slightly different engine with less power, not sure if it has the same problem or not. Also, ours was pretty scary trying to merge into traffic due to exceptionally poor acceleration.

Did you look at 1st generation Highlanders? I Would avoid the V6 ones due to oil sludge issues. Otherwise, I think they are pretty solid.
Thank you. I haven't checked out highlanders. I figured if i for a 7 seater the pilot would provide a smaller more compact frame which would be easier for the driver.

Do the timing belt CRVs (2003+ i think) offer any benefit vs the added maintenance cost?
Old 09-20-15, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Might want to check out an older Mitsubishi Outlander. Although Mitsubishi SUVs aren't known for being the best in the business, the Outlander has been reasonably reliable, and its high depreciation rate means you can rob ably get a somewhat newer one for the same money that you'd spend on a used RAV-4, Outback, or CR-V. The main snag with Mitsubishi, though, is the sparse dealer network and the question of how long they will actually remain here in the U.S.

You also mentioned that Subarus were off your list because of small cargo areas. That would not be an issue with the Subaru Tribeca, which is a true mid-sized SUV like a Highlander or Pilot. Tribecas were reliable, and, because few of them were built or sold, and demand for them is weak, they also depreciate quickly, and used ones could be a steal. They have a rather weird dash/console design inside, though, early models had weirdly-styled front ends, and they drive like a appliance, so those are also a few issues to keep in mind.

Good Luck.
Old 09-20-15, 04:51 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clhnsn55
Thank you. I haven't checked out highlanders. I figured if i for a 7 seater the pilot would provide a smaller more compact frame which would be easier for the driver.

Do the timing belt CRVs (2003+ i think) offer any benefit vs the added maintenance cost?
2002+ CRVs have a timing chain. They are decent cars but there are many documented cases of air conditioning failure on 2nd gen models. When this happens, fragments of a failed component are blown throughout the system and therefore many things need to be replaced and it can cost thousands. I would look out for any history of a/c repairs and would make sure and the entire system was replaced if a failure occurred.

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...C-failure-poll

Last edited by sivikvtec; 09-20-15 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 05:23 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

Might want to check out an older Mitsubishi Outlander. Although Mitsubishi SUVs aren't known for being the best in the business, the Outlander has been reasonably reliable, and its high depreciation rate means you can rob ably get a somewhat newer one for the same money that you'd spend on a used RAV-4, Outback, or CR-V. The main snag with Mitsubishi, though, is the sparse dealer network and the question of how long they will actually remain here in the U.S.

You also mentioned that Subarus were off your list because of small cargo areas. That would not be an issue with the Subaru Tribeca, which is a true mid-sized SUV like a Highlander or Pilot. Tribecas were reliable, and, because few of them were built or sold, and demand for them is weak, they also depreciate quickly, and used ones could be a steal. They have a rather weird dash/console design inside, though, early models had weirdly-styled front ends, and they drive like a appliance, so those are also a few issues to keep in mind.

Good Luck.
That is good to know. I had outlanders on the long list but I was unsure about reliability. Ford freestyle was in the same boat. As for the size, driver leg room of subarus also comes to mind. I'll have to check it out.

2002+ CRVs have a timing chain. They are decent cars but there are many documented cases of air conditioning failure on 2nd gen models. When this happens, fragments of a failed component are blown throughout the system and therefore many things need to be replaced and it can cost thousands. I would look out for any history of a/c repairs and would make sure and the entire system was replaced if a failure occurred.
This is exactly what kind of stuff I need to know.

Good stuff all around!

Do these Japanese suvs tend to stay "tight" akin to the cars.
Old 09-20-15, 05:36 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

I would say the SUVs from Toyota/Honda hold up as well as the cars.
Old 09-20-15, 05:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

since money is a priority, ask yourself if the extra cost of SUV is worth it.

If you only occasionally haul big stuff, a cheaper sedan would be more practical if you have uhaul, home depot, or lowes nearby, where you can rent a truck for an hour for cheap.

having a big truck around just to occasionally haul something big isn't very moneywise.
Old 09-20-15, 07:08 PM
clhnsn55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pman6
since money is a priority, ask yourself if the extra cost of SUV is worth it.

If you only occasionally haul big stuff, a cheaper sedan would be more practical if you have uhaul, home depot, or lowes nearby, where you can rent a truck for an hour for cheap.

having a big truck around just to occasionally haul something big isn't very moneywise.
This is a good point. The reasons for an suv are:

-when your in this price range the difference in price between suv and car is within a thousand or so IME.

- I am a camper and have been in some sketchy situations with fwd vehicles.

- my wife isn't as gentle on cars and I am hoping something built with off/on road capabilities will stay "tighter" over the next few years.

My ls400 is hitched up so i could hypothetically pull a trailer with it but I would prefer not to. I actually have a harbor freight trailer still in the box.

More subjectively I would just regret not taking the opportunity to get into an suv. On the other hand to your point, there are way more deals to be had on accords, camrys etc.
Old 09-20-15, 09:16 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"my wife isn't as gentle on cars and I am hoping something built with off/on road capabilities will stay "tighter" over the next few years.
I am a camper and have been in some sketchy situations with fwd vehicles."

Sounds like you need a truck with a camper shell.
Old 09-20-15, 10:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Didn't the RX300 also have sludge issues? Luckily mine didn't, but I many did. Anyways, the large turning circle still haunts me to this day
Old 09-21-15, 06:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Didn't the RX300 also have sludge issues? Luckily mine didn't, but I many did. Anyways, the large turning circle still haunts me to this day
As long as the oil was changed on time, there's nothing to worry about.

2002 & 2003 RX300, had enlarged oil return holes that helped reduce the chance of sludging. But again, with proper care, nothing to worry about.
Old 09-21-15, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the '06 explorer i traded in had 103K and i only got around $5500 for it on trade-in which was sad as it was totally reliable - a loyal and faithful companion. the v8 was awesome too. i learned to change its oil in about 15 minutes (+drain time) so cost of ownership was VERY low.

might want to look at one. the '06-'10 were nowhere near as huge as the current explorer.
Old 09-21-15, 03:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo. I've heard they're very reliable and built like tanks. I know in parts of Africa, South America, other places with non-existant roads, the Trooper is a pretty popular alternative to the ubiquitous Land Cruiser. Since its an orphan brand, you'll be able to score a nicer one with lower miles than what a 4Runner, etc would go for. Same thing with a Suzuki Grand Viatara, although I'm not a huge fan of those cause they're pretty loud/ride like crap.

Also might want to look at a Jeep Cherokee, not a "Grand Cherokee". I know everybody on here is going to give me crap for recommending a 90's/early 00's Chrysler, but its an old/proven design that was originally engineered by AMC in the early 80's, and used that bullet proof AMC straight six engine/gearbox. So it doesn't have all the problems of the newer, Chyrsler designed Grand Cherokee.

Also might want to consider a 2004 or older Nissan Pathfinder. This is the model before Nissan cheaped out, don't buy a 2005+, they have a massive recall and class action lawsuit over the transmission. One of my friends growing up inherited his old man's 1990 Pathfinder, had 400k+ miles on the original engine/5 speed transmission. Body looked great too, but if you live up north they've probably all rusted away by now.

Last edited by Aron9000; 09-21-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 04:25 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo. I've heard they're very reliable and built like tanks. I know in parts of Africa, South America, other places with non-existant roads, the Trooper is a pretty popular alternative to the ubiquitous Land Cruiser. Since its an orphan brand, you'll be able to score a nicer one with lower miles than what a 4Runner, etc would go for. Same thing with a Suzuki Grand Viatara, although I'm not a huge fan of those cause they're pretty loud/ride like crap.

Also might want to look at a Jeep Cherokee, not a "Grand Cherokee". I know everybody on here is going to give me crap for recommending a 90's/early 00's Chrysler, but its an old/proven design that was originally engineered by AMC in the early 80's, and used that bullet proof AMC straight six engine/gearbox. So it doesn't have all the problems of the newer, Chyrsler designed Grand Cherokee.

Also might want to consider a 2004 or older Nissan Pathfinder. This is the model before Nissan cheaped out, don't buy a 2005+, they have a massive recall and class action lawsuit over the transmission. One of my friends growing up inherited his old man's 1990 Pathfinder, had 400k+ miles on the original engine/5 speed transmission. Body looked great too, but if you live up north they've probably all rusted away by now.
Where I an from the trooper/rodeo were extremely unreliable. It was so bad that owners swapped out their original engines to a Toyota or Nissan engine.
The grand vitaras eats gas like a v8. They are reliable based on what I've heard though.

The rav4 2000-2005 might be a good choice but I think it is a tad small for a cuv (although it might just be my eyes playing tricks).

The crv is also a decent choice but their a/c woes in the early 2000s make them a bit more risky.

The ford escape during early 2000s were known to have transmission issues so I would not recommend that one.

Quick Reply: Ideas for a $5k small SUV. No stranger to high miles.