Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rare honest review of M4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 08:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
The lexus rc-f dose a lot of things right to attract attract traditional lexus buyers into the world of sports cars, its big its loud and and it looks like it means business.

The C63 and M3/4 attract a more serious buyer, some one that isn't as easily impressed by the surface of things some one that understands performance.

Now the rc-f is more than enough car for the traditional lexus buyer, just look at this thread. However for others like myself its just not enough substance.

Thats why I went with a c63 s, its the latest tech, it makes the right noises and it goes like stink. You maybe satisfied with the rc-f and thats okay but for me its not enough car...
Old 09-21-15, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
In my eyes, this class of cars have very little road presence, M4 just looks too much alike 320.
better get yours eyes checked then.
Old 09-22-15, 11:31 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueThundr
I think it's the opposite in Europe. Automakers are forced to reduce weight because of emissions and higher fuel consumption regulations. That's why there's a huge trend towards smaller engines (eg V8 to 6, or 6 to 4 cylinders, supplemented by turbos with all their disadvantages) and higher content aluminium and CF bodies. And problems with handling when you have way too much low rev power in a light body. Diehard enthusiasts should be buying up the remaining NA V8 , V10 and V12 engined cars before they become obsolete!

Yanno...I heard all these claims about how scary the M4 at the limit and how it has too much low-end torque (which, growing up with big V8's of the 70s and 80s, always made me chuckle). So I was actually a bit apprehensive when they allowed us to take the M3/4 on the track when my wife was having here delivered in Greenville.

I was damn near waiting until the car was going in a straight line before giving it gas because folks here were calling it a 'widow maker'. Smh. And then the instructor prodded me to drive deeper into the corner and feed in the gas sooner. Yes...if you treat the peddle like a light switch, you will buzz the tires. But if you have a bit a skill about you, you can feed the power in even with some steering input. Lots of steering input, even. So this 'low end torque/light weight=bad' is just the silliest thing imaginable. Vettes have been using that same philosophy for years.

As to turbo lag...it is about as imperceptible as you can imagine. I've NEVER had a car pull this hard in top gear at highway speeds. There's literally ZERO need to downshift to pass. And it's immediate. No waiting for spool. This speaks to it having no lag.

Now...do the turbos fall flat at the upper revs? I don't know because we are still in break-in so I haven't taken it above 5500 rpms. From the looks of the dyno sheets...they do. But for the everyday customer that wants to attack an on-ramp or have some fun in the mountains...this engine and chassis are damn near perfect.

Just my rare honest review of driving HER car for the last few weeks...
Old 09-22-15, 02:13 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Does the M4 really consume that much smaller amounth of gas than the RC-F , I actually doubt it. Maybe if you a crusing on a highway not using the turbos.
MPG is basically the same - I believe EPA mpg is 16/25 for the Lexus vs 17/26(24) for the BMW(DCT) - but where turbos really help is in the Euro emissions. The RC F is advertised at 254 g/km while the M3 DCT is all the way down at 194 g/km. Not that I would ever consider that metric when buying a performance-oriented car, but no doubt it's a huge and very unfortunate reason nearly all Euro manufacturers are switching to turbos, performance cars or not.
Old 09-22-15, 11:50 PM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond

Many are complaining about the engines and downsizing, but the fact is that both BMW and Audi are returning to their roots with the inline 6 and V6/ I5 engines for Audi in RS. Especially the V10 engine is an exception in both Audi S/RS and BMW M history. The " Ultimate M3" in terms of driving pleasure and handling had a 4 banger. V12 on the other hand, which is the real "Éuro-supercar" engine ( except for Porsche ) is still made by almost every manufacturer in that class.
But I don't think any of those "great" engines are turbo. This thread provides a very good summary of why there are still serious shortcomings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ke-turbos.html

It also explains why a turbo can consume as much fuel as much bigger engines. I think it is a credit to Lexus for getting so much out of a 5 l V8 eg with Atkinson cycle.

BMW makes many great models. However, I seriously doubt the M4 would rank amongst their top 5

Last edited by BlueThundr; 09-23-15 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-23-15, 12:35 AM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick

But if you have a bit a skill about you, you can feed the power in even with some steering input. Lots of steering input, even.
That's one of my points- you need to be a skilled driver to get the most out of the light overpowered turbo car- probably with lots of practice. Even more so in wet weather! You appear to be one of the 5% who are expert drivers.

Whereas a heavier NA V8 is much more easily mastered and enjoyed by an average driver- without too much practice.

Last edited by BlueThundr; 09-23-15 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-23-15, 04:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's one of my points- you need to be a skilled driver to get the most out of the light overpowered turbo car- probably with lots of practice. Even more so in wet weather! You appear to be one of the 5% who are expert drivers.

Whereas a heavier NA V8 is much more easily mastered and enjoyed by an average driver- without too much practice.
You don't need to be an expert to drive an M3/M4. You're blowing this out of porportion. You should sign up for a track day if possible- I had a complete blast in an M3 about a month ago.

This is no original Dodge Viper, 993 911, or Mercedes SLS (yikes!) we're talking about. The three cars I listed will absolutely spit you off the road at a moments notice; hardly the case with an M3. Sure, that last 5-10% of performance will be tricky but by then you've tasted all you need.
Old 09-23-15, 05:19 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm nowhere near an expert. And this car isn't overpowered. Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave if he heard you advocating increased weight. Hahahaha