Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rare honest review of M4

Old 09-20-15, 12:53 AM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare honest review of M4

This rare honest review of turbo 6 M4 from Autocar indirectly and succinctly reaffirms the superiority of the RCF NA V8: immediate response, linear power delivery of NA V8 for better control by ordinary drivers, V8 Sound (aural sex?). They are actually comparing against a Ferrari NA V12:

"With engine and gearbox in Sport+, the M4 dispatches an indifferent first 2750rpm before torpedoing you forward, repeatedly slamming into the 7500rpm redline between blink-quick upshifts. Moderate turbo lag is exacerbated by the violence of the acceleration that follows, accompanied by an increasingly agitated induction grumble that’s amplified through the speakers. It’s not the most inspiring sound, but it is bellicose."

And also the problem of being too light:

"The BMW has 300kg less to stabilise but does so with such aggression that rapid B-road progress has the traction control lamp flickering as the tyres struggle to retain contact.""

Read full review here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...tti-comparison

Last edited by BlueThundr; 09-21-15 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-20-15, 01:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope you are joking with this post or maybe your English is not good enough to understand the article.

BMW uses inline 6 not a V6.

Any engine will be inferior comparing to a Ferrari NA v12.

RCF and M4 are both great cars, drive them both and choose the one thats best for YOU.
M4 has does have much more tuning potential and much better aftermarket support.
Old 09-20-15, 02:33 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I hope you are joking with this post or maybe your English is not good enough to understand the article.

Any engine will be inferior comparing to a Ferrari NA v12.

RCF and M4 are both great cars, drive them both and choose the one thats best for YOU.
M4 has does have much more tuning potential and much better aftermarket support.
No, there is a better V10 engine made by Lexus.

R U sure that the last sentence was written in English?

In my eyes, this class of cars have very little road presence, M4 just looks too much alike 320.
Old 09-20-15, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

This rare honest review of turbo V6 M4 from Autocar
So then...what is your idea of a dishonest review? For the record, my view of a dishonest review is some of the poorly-written stuff I often see in local and big-city newspapers that is little else but a couple of paragraphs of cream-puff editorials that never really mention anything negative for fear of p***ing off either the vehicle's manufacturer or owners.
Old 09-20-15, 02:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah, the RC F. So easy to forget that car in the presence of the M4 (which seems to go either way in terms of reviewer preference), C63 AMG, and ATS-V. The Alfa Romeo Giulia will probably push it even further away from the limelight.
Old 09-20-15, 03:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ah, the RC F. So easy to forget that car in the presence of the M4 (which seems to go either way in terms of reviewer preference), C63 AMG, and ATS-V. The Alfa Romeo Giulia will probably push it even further away from the limelight.
easy to forget, really? I say RC-F is more memorable even if it is not a better car.
Old 09-20-15, 04:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
easy to forget, really? I say RC-F is more memorable even if it is not a better car.
Yes, really. Unless you're a NA V8 enthusiast I personally don't see a compelling reason to take a look. I hang out on a few different non brand-specific auto forums and there are similar feelings (hardly scientific, but i'm not alone). RC-F isn't a bad car though, that's for sure.
Old 09-20-15, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
RC-F isn't a bad car though, that's for sure.
The RC gets review-complaints about its weight impacting performance. Not having sampled one (yet) myself, I can't directly comment on that, But many automakers today are more or less forced to add weight, not only from what equipment the Government mandates, but what many consumers want and effectively won't live without.
Old 09-20-15, 04:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The RC gets review-complaints about its weight impacting performance. Not having sampled one (yet) myself, I can't directly comment on that, But many automakers today are more or less forced to add weight, not only from what equipment the Government mandates, but what many consumers want and effectively won't live without.
I don't put much stock into the weight comments given the C63 AMG is hangin' out there with a similarly porky curb weight.
Old 09-21-15, 01:20 AM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

mmarshall: Thanks! All the comparisons I've read (several dozens) between M4 and RCF ignores the issues with a 6 cylinder turbo engine (eg turbo lag, non-linear response, sound quality) as well as the light weight 'problem' that then requires an expert driver to master: just look at the RCF Auto Review threads in CL. And almost all complain about the RCF weight (when it is an advantage for handling) and ignore the superiority of the NA V8 for the AVERAGE driver. An honest review for me is one that is more balanced and objective in benchmarking against its target customers (eg average drivers like myself), not based on selective evidence to suit one's prior emotional and personal preferences or commercial interests. Having read car reviews for over 45 years, I find honest reviews quite rare. I would not call the rest dishonest- but perhaps not fair, balanced or objective eg there seems to be strong bias towards comparing split second performance differences on CL which most drivers don't care much about.

Last edited by BlueThundr; 09-21-15 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 03:48 AM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think it's the opposite in Europe. Automakers are forced to reduce weight because of emissions and higher fuel consumption regulations. That's why there's a huge trend towards smaller engines (eg V8 to 6, or 6 to 4 cylinders, supplemented by turbos with all their disadvantages) and higher content aluminium and CF bodies. And problems with handling when you have way too much low rev power in a light body. Diehard enthusiasts should be buying up the remaining NA V8 , V10 and V12 engined cars before they become obsolete!
Old 09-21-15, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueThundr
I think it's the opposite in Europe. Automakers are forced to reduce weight because of emissions and higher fuel consumption regulations.
Yes, I agree on the weight-loss necessity because of emissions/CAFE issues. But, of course, that was necessary at least partly because of the way automakers have constantly added features (and weight) due to customer and government demands.
Old 09-21-15, 07:42 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

The lexus rc-f dose a lot of things right to attract attract traditional lexus buyers into the world of sports cars, its big its loud and and it looks like it means business.

The C63 and M3/4 attract a more serious buyer, some one that isn't as easily impressed by the surface of things some one that understands performance.

Now the rc-f is more than enough car for the traditional lexus buyer, just look at this thread. However for others like myself its just not enough substance.

Thats why I went with a c63 s, its the latest tech, it makes the right noises and it goes like stink. You maybe satisfied with the rc-f and thats okay but for me its not enough car...
Old 09-21-15, 07:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
The lexus rc-f dose a lot of things right to attract attract traditional lexus buyers into the world of sports cars, its big its loud and and it looks like it means business.

The C63 and M3/4 attract a more serious buyer, some one that isn't as easily impressed by the surface of things some one that understands performance.

Now the rc-f is more than enough car for the traditional lexus buyer, just look at this thread. However for others like myself its just not enough substance.

Thats why I went with a c63 s, its the latest tech, it makes the right noises and it goes like stink. You maybe satisfied with the rc-f and thats okay but for me its not enough car...
Old 09-21-15, 08:06 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlueThundr
I think it's the opposite in Europe. Automakers are forced to reduce weight because of emissions and higher fuel consumption regulations. That's why there's a huge trend towards smaller engines (eg V8 to 6, or 6 to 4 cylinders, supplemented by turbos with all their disadvantages) and higher content aluminium and CF bodies. And problems with handling when you have way too much low rev power in a light body. Diehard enthusiasts should be buying up the remaining NA V8 , V10 and V12 engined cars before they become obsolete!
Does the M4 really consume that much smaller amounth of gas than the RC-F , I actually doubt it. Maybe if you a crusing on a highway not using the turbos.

Many are complaining about the engines and downsizing, but the fact is that both BMW and Audi are returning to their roots with the inline 6 and V6/ I5 engines for Audi in RS. Especially the V10 engine is an exception in both Audi S/RS and BMW M history. The " Ultimate M3" in terms of driving pleasure and handling had a 4 banger. V12 on the other hand, which is the real "Éuro-supercar" engine ( except for Porsche ) is still made by almost every manufacturer in that class.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rare honest review of M4