Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Old 11-23-15, 10:48 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole things puts a smile on my face. I shouldn't be smiling, because they just lied and polluted a crap ton. I just hoped the Europeans that bought diesels, will open their eyes and finally switch over to normal petrol or go hybrid.
Old 11-23-15, 10:56 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
VW just announced their support program for VW diesel owners in Europe. Basically, they get nothing. No $500 gift cards or repair cards or roadside rescue support for 3 years. Just a, "we'll find a way to fix your car". Somehow I get the feeling this subject isn't over in Europe.
this honestly sucks. They get no love are left with with a grossly polluting car, shot resale value and no reimbursement :smh: this is definitely not over in Europe
Old 11-23-15, 11:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

even a child on the street can see how polluting the diesel engines are.
Old 11-23-15, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

were they ever fined by the european governments? I imagine this is a lot of lost tax revenue from those cars that were able to drive into London without paying the congestion charge based on the low pollution of their diesels.
Old 11-23-15, 01:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
This whole things puts a smile on my face. I shouldn't be smiling, because they just lied and polluted a crap ton. I just hoped the Europeans that bought diesels, will open their eyes and finally switch over to normal petrol or go hybrid.

Average buyers were probably more concerned with low fuel consumption than diesel pollution.

It would be governments (and specifically in heavily-populated urban areas) that are more concerned with NOx and diesel soot pollution.

Only the most recent Euro 6 emission standard brought low limits on diesel emissions (somewhat comparable with EPAa standards). Previous standards were pretty lax.
Old 11-23-15, 03:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

yup, europe seemed to be more concerned about 'carbons' as they refer to it than NOx.
Old 11-23-15, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, europe seemed to be more concerned about 'carbons' as they refer to it than NOx.
That's because, in general, the Europeans are more convinced (rightly or wrongly) that climate change is coming from carbon-dioxide emissions into the air and a so-called "greenhouse effect"...more so than than we are here in the U.S.
Old 04-21-16, 11:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Potential settlement terms revealed today:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ns-settlement/

Highlights:

In a California court today, the United States government and Volkswagen announced a concrete plan to address the approximately 600,000 diesel-powered vehicles affected by VW Group's "emissions defeat device."

According to the preliminary "agreement in principle," Volkswagen will give owners the option to sell affected TDI vehicles back to VW, or to have the vehicle modified to meet emissions standards. Consumers who have leased an affected vehicle will be allowed to cancel their lease agreements.

The settlement also provides for payment of "substantial compensation" to affected owners in conjunction with the aforementioned buybacks and vehicle modifications, though a specific dollar amount per consumer was not announced in today's hearing.

Thirdly, the court stated that Volkswagen will establish a fund for "appropriate remediation efforts" to address the excess NOx emissions created by the affected vehicles. In addition, VW will be required to commit funding to promote "green automotive technology." No dollar amounts were mentioned here, either.
Owners are said to have two years to decide whether or not they want to sell their cars back to VW, or have them fixed. Those who elect a buyback will receive the resale value of their vehicle before news broke of the cheating last September, plus an additional cash compensation.
Old 04-21-16, 12:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Another perspective, and some speculation on the plans for Canada…

A deal reached between Volkswagen and the U.S. government over a global diesel emissions scandal that has rocked the automaker will include vehicle buyback offers and the possibility of repairs, says a federal judge.

Judge Charles Breyer said Thursday in San Francisco that the U.S. agreement will include "substantial" compensation for diesel vehicle owners, but he did not provide details on how much they will get.

Breyer said the proposed settlement includes a buy-back offer for 482,000 Volkswagen vehicles with 2.0-litre engines in the U.S..

He said it does not cover another 90,000 Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche cars and SUVs in the U.S. that have the 3.0-litre engines, but added that he expects resolution on that particular engine, plus the issue of possible fines levied by the Justice Department, to be dealt with "expeditiously," Reuters reported.

Kenneth Elias, a partner with Arizona-based automotive consultants Maryann Keller & Associates, said he thinks affected U.S. consumers will get cash compensation or an incentive on a new VW vehicle, or some kind of combination of the two.

Citing analysts and two unnamed sources, Reuters said VW may have to spend more than $10 billion US to cover the costs of the agreement with the U.S. government.

The U.S. government will seek a consent decree with the car company to formalize the agreement affecting only U.S. consumers. That decree must be filed by June 21, the judge said.

A consent decree is a legal settlement that would see VW agree to specific actions without admitting guilt or fault.

Additional details of the deal between Volkswagen and the U.S. government will stay secret until that consent decree proposal is filed, Breyer said.

Reuters reported the judge has imposed a gag order on all the parties involved until a final agreement is reached.

A spokesperson at VW's Canadian operations was not immediately available to comment. About 100,000 VW diesel engines were reportedly on the road at one time in Canada, and many of them may have included the emissions-cheating technology.

Tony Merchant, whose [Canadian] law firm is representing about 500 clients in lawsuits against VW, said he would advise against accepting the offer if it had been made in Canada.

"We think they are just trying to buy their way out of wrongdoing," Merchant told CBC News.

"[The proposed settlement] does not include Canadians, but it might be a sign of what they're prepared to offer Canadians," Merchant said.
Source: CBC News

Looks like we won’t know the full details of this plan until June 2016.
Old 04-21-16, 01:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn this is so bad...and everything was going so well for VW. Ha~
Old 04-21-16, 02:06 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

money making scheme in the making.
Old 04-21-16, 02:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Damn this is so bad...and everything was going so well for VW. Ha~
2018 Auto World Domination may have to be put on hold
Old 04-21-16, 06:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a feeling they aren't the only ones with cheat devices. I have noticed so many makes, particularly Audi and BMW where when the car is floored, you can visually see the pollution coming out the back.
Old 04-21-16, 07:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have a feeling they aren't the only ones with cheat devices. I have noticed so many makes, particularly Audi and BMW where when the car is floored, you can visually see the pollution coming out the back.
Audi 2.0 and 3.0 diesels are included in the scandal. They don't seem to be mentioned too much but will need resolution and reimbursment too.
Old 04-21-16, 07:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
those are particles, not NOx... NOx cant be seen with naked eye. You are still going to see smoke cloud when it cleans the storage tank but overall particles are not a problem anymore, except for turbo DI petrols now.

As to the who is cheating, UK govt today said that only VW group has found having defeat devices so they were only ones cheating but that on average industry does 5x worse than emission standards in real driving and thats with engine pre-warmed. Apparently with cold engine, it turns off most of the systems so all bets are off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal