Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 07:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
The VW Diesel Scandal Is Now a DIY Halloween Costume

Celebrate Halloween in style this year with a timely costume by embracing the Volkswagen diesel scandal.

The folks over at HalloweenCostumes.com has put together a do-it-yourself guide to put together your very own Volkswagen diesel scandal costume in case there’s nothing else you want to be this Halloween. You’ll need to grab yourself a deluxe smoke mask, a video game car costume, adult black combat boots, spider web decor, fake money, toilet paper tube, box, can, gas can and black spray paint. The most difficult part to this DIY costume is building the emissions smoke cloud and the exhaust pipe, but that’s where the spider web comes in.

By bundling the spider web, you’ll be able to make it nice and fluffy and a bit of fishing line can even be used to help tie it all together. Spray down the spider web with the black spray paint and clog it into your toilet paper tube before fitting it onto your car costume.

It’s unlikely you’ll see any kids sporting the costume this year, but if you did, it’s very likely their parents aren’t too happy about the Volkswagen diesel scandal.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...%20Subscribers

That whole get-up of a German gassing somebody is a bit too 3rd Reich for my tastes. I mean if you're going to go as a German gassing somebody, might as well look good doing it and wear the full Schutzstaffel leathers
Old 10-09-15, 04:58 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That whole get-up of a German gassing somebody is a bit too 3rd Reich for my tastes. I mean if you're going to go as a German gassing somebody, might as well look good doing it and wear the full Schutzstaffel leathers
Most sources give the number of Americans who can trace German ancestry as 60%. Why somebody will want to portray a highly civilised nation as the Halloween costume suggests, is really making a mockery of hate speech: apparently it is not hate speech to bash the Germans.
Old 10-09-15, 06:00 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This is bound to happen

When you start relying on software to do your dirty work.

Time to go back to sticking the emissions sensor up the tailpipe and get the real results.
Old 10-09-15, 06:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Yup, There was a police raid today at VW headquarters to secure records. I guess they don't want any accidents where the documents get shredded (or tapes get erased).
I wouldnt be surprised if the raid was to secure documents so other authorities will not find it. To protect the pillar of German automotive engineering or some junk like that.
Old 10-09-15, 04:37 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Incredible. I thought VW was supposed to stop the lies. Now they're stating that a group of "rogue" engineers created the illegal software and senior management knew nothing.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...eating-n441451
So the letter from Bosch in 2007 stating the program should not be used in commercially available automobiles was kept quiet and out of senior management's hands and the internal findings of a VW technician who uncovered the fraud in 2011 also was kept from senior management? Furthermore the allegations by the US government in 2014 were not evaluated by senior management? This is incredible.

Last edited by roadbike56; 10-09-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 04:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Incredible. I thought VW was supposed to stop the lies. Now their stating that a group of "rogue" engineers created the illegal software and senior management knew nothing.
So the letter from Bosch in 2007 stating the program should not be used in commercially available automobiles was kept quiet and out of senior management's hands and the internal findings of a VW technician who uncovered the fraud in 2011 also was kept from senior management? Furthermore the allegations by the US government in 2014 were not evaluated by senior management? This is incredible.
yep, new CEO spent a day explaining today that he doesnt know who did it and why.
Old 10-09-15, 08:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Incredible. I thought VW was supposed to stop the lies. Now they're stating that a group of "rogue" engineers created the illegal software and senior management knew nothing.

In this respect, it seems to be not much different than the GM ignition switch scandal: Senior management was not aware of it (or they knew, kept it quiet and quietly retired hoping that their successor(s) would have to handle it, until it finally fell in Mary Barra's lap).
Old 10-09-15, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, new CEO spent a day explaining today that he doesnt know who did it and why.
sounds like he is a good liar. "doesn't know who did it" -- he thinks someone would trust him on that one? so is he saying that no one in vw actually knows what kind of software is running in the car? meaning things can go crazy tomorrow and people crashing left and right and he will come out and say "i have no idea why"?

stupid
Old 10-10-15, 04:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds like he is a good liar. "doesn't know who did it" -- he thinks someone would trust him on that one? so is he saying that no one in vw actually knows what kind of software is running in the car? meaning things can go crazy tomorrow and people crashing left and right and he will come out and say "i have no idea why"?

stupid

yep... and only one senator called him out for it too. Official defense is "rogue engineers", "we dont know why" and "i wasnt in charge at time"
Old 10-10-15, 06:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
In this respect, it seems to be not much different than the GM ignition switch scandal: Senior management was not aware of it (or they knew, kept it quiet and quietly retired hoping that their successor(s) would have to handle it, until it finally fell in Mary Barra's lap).
Senior mgt never knows anything because they are always got their head in bean counting opex and capex numbers. It is sad that they have no idea what the engineering group is actually doing.
Old 10-11-15, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... and only one senator called him out for it too. Official defense is "rogue engineers", "we dont know why" and "i wasnt in charge at time"
it only strengthens my belief in how corrupted the system is
Old 10-11-15, 02:26 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
it only strengthens my belief in how corrupted the system is
The possibility cannot be ruled out that other motoring manufacturers do it too.
Old 10-11-15, 05:35 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way senior execs did not know of the situation or at least some of them, the engineers could not certify the engine against the emission spec required to sell this car. Who really believes they kept this information to themselves without reporting it to higher ups at some point. And on top that dreamed up this software fix on their own. Not even one chance it happened this way. Engineers will be fired and taken care of financially for their silence
Old 10-11-15, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nipponbird
The possibility cannot be ruled out that other motoring manufacturers do it too.
actually no, we can say that nobody else is doing it since they tested a lot of cars after the news broke out.
Old 10-11-15, 09:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toyotatom
There is no way senior execs did not know of the situation or at least some of them, the engineers could not certify the engine against the emission spec required to sell this car. Who really believes they kept this information to themselves without reporting it to higher ups at some point. And on top that dreamed up this software fix on their own. Not even one chance it happened this way. Engineers will be fired and taken care of financially for their silence
Let me tell you that if I were the engineer whose job was at stake I would have done the same and not told the senior mgt, who do not want to listen to me say "this is not possible".

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal