Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 08:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Dieselgate!!!!!!
Old 09-29-15, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha love where this is heading
Old 09-29-15, 11:24 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no not MB too!
Old 09-29-15, 11:58 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty clever... And people say the German's can't (or don't) do electronics well... :P
Old 09-30-15, 05:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
What I take away from Clarkson's comments is that VW couldn't compete in the new environmental landscape. Let's embrace capitalism. What happens to companies that can't compete?
capitalism and competition should not be about spending billions to comply with arbitrary, inconsistent and conflicting global regulations.

Originally Posted by Sulu
Yes, Bosch wrote that software but it was upon request from VW. The request could very well have been legitimate from Bosch's point-of-view: Develop software that uses the emission controls but also allows it to bypass the controls. That would allow VW to compare the difference in engine performance (power, fuel economy, actual emissions, etc.) when the controls were used and when they were not.

As a control systems engineer, that sounds like a very legitimate request to me.
holy rationalization batman. i believe i read in this thread that the software specifically looks (by barometric pressure) to see if the car is stationary with wheels turning indoors, i.e., on a TEST PLATFORM, and then it enables full pollution control so it can pass a test. it's hard to believe bosch didn't know the software was specifically for 'gaming' a test, that their actions were therefore illegal too, even if they weren't the ones specifying the need or actually distributing the software. we also don't know if bosch came up with the idea in the first place!

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
"According to Clarkson, the trick is no different to everyday deceptions like lying on a CV or parking on double yellow lines."

What an IDIOT. We all don't go around licking toxic yellow paint and get exposed to it. That yellow paint isn't in our lungs & eyes.
no, 'we' just knowingly consume truck loads of untested supplements, eat food with unpronounceable and unknowable ingredients and additives, hormones, etc. then of course the public consumes drugs, medical, legal recreational and illegal, and alcohol. we rub unknown potions on our skin to protect us from wrinkles or the sun yet there's little read studies showing these are cancer causing. and on and on...

Originally Posted by gengar
Keep in mind GM admitted knowing about the ignition switch defects and concealing information from investigators/prosecutors. At least 124 people died as a result. A $900 million fine for the deaths of 124 people seems like a pittance.
exactly. i think vw should vigorously fight any huge demands and i believe the settlement in the end won't be the tens of billions being bandied around.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hmm, kinda suspect of MB...
11,000 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Vans Recalled
the company sent an estimated 11,000 letters to customers who bought Sprinter models. The document mentioned that the “emissions-relevant control units” of the vans will be getting enhanced software. Further along the letter, it noted that it is “to avoid possible trouble with the authorities and test organizations.”
gee, can it be, another manufacturing gaming the system? shocking i tell you.

again i'm not saying what vw (and maybe mb) did was right, but i think the situation is being blown way out of proportion. radical environmentalists would like nothing more than to shut down all car companies entirely unless they're electric only, and have us all walk or take an electric bus somewhere. if you love cars you'd better root for vw's survival.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-30-15 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-30-15, 06:12 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, 'we' just knowingly consume truck loads of untested supplements, eat food with unpronounceable and unknowable ingredients and additives, hormones, etc. then of course the public consumes drugs, medical, legal recreational and illegal, and alcohol. we rub unknown potions on our skin to protect us from wrinkles or the sun yet there's little read studies showing these are cancer causing. and on and on...
Yup. This is really scary when you think about it so lets not think about it and then we don't have to feel like we need to do something about it. Cause getting out of your office or TV chair is so like arghhhh.
Old 09-30-15, 07:51 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

capitalism and competition should not be about spending billions to comply with arbitrary, inconsistent and conflicting global regulations.

Full stop Bit. The difference is in the examples above we have a CHOICE. Walking down the street and sucking the exhaust of a vehicle that is spewing crap that is supposed to be captured but isn't, that's not a choice. Might as well put your lips up to the tail pipe with VW's hand behind your head.
Actually that would be a cool bumper sticker on their diesel.
"Suck on this"...
Old 09-30-15, 08:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,698 Likes on 2,284 Posts

What in the world are you taking about this statement makes no sense. There is no conflict, make a safe and clean emissions vehicle and it will be allowed in every market on Earth.
Old 09-30-15, 08:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the view of these evens, I've been reading up on how these EPA tests are being performed and it turns out that its a common practice to remove mirrors and door handles, tape over all body gaps, install underbody covers, over inflate tires and so on. So the ratings based on these tests are purely subjective. VW just took it to the next level.

If the governments agencies such as EPA are going to mandate certain compliances, they have to define testing standards a lot more clearly. When these standards are vaguely defined, it basically gives EPA racketeering powers. Theoretically EPA can decide to single out any other manufacturer, accuse them of cheating during testing and impose fines and all other sorts of punishment.

Now, to make things clear, I think what VW did was very wrong. But I also agree with Clarkson that VW should take a tough stance and tell the limp brained farts in the EPA to clearly define standards for test procedures, and also set realistic requirements for emissions and economy. When setting these standards, maybe EPA should also take advice from actual engineers instead of nasally pluck dressed global warming professors. Because if engineers have to design cars that actually keep up with the mandates that these imbeciles dream up during their eco-mental potato trips, these cars will soon end up costing as much as spaceships, and cost about as much to maintain.

While ganging up on VW, its good to keep in mind that some of their TDI models can be had for an amazingly low lease rate, with lower monthly payments than what most people spend on fancy coffee at Starbucks each month.
Old 09-30-15, 09:11 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Oh no not MB too!
I know. hope they dodged a bullet.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What in the world are you taking about this statement makes no sense. There is no conflict, make a safe and clean emissions vehicle and it will be allowed in every market on Earth.
I believe there is a conflict between the differing global regulations per diesels. VW sells globally and some countries are so strict, while others are non-existent. It comes down to a business decision really

Last edited by jadu; 09-30-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-30-15, 01:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,698 Likes on 2,284 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I believe there is a conflict between the differing global regulations per diesels. VW sells globally and some countries are so strict, while others are non-existent. It comes down to a business decision really
I don't see how differing emissions standards amounts to a conflict. It is simply a difference. VW sells gas powered cars in all the same markets they don't have any issues meeting regulations with those engines.
Old 09-30-15, 02:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
In the view of these evens, I've been reading up on how these EPA tests are being performed and it turns out that its a common practice to remove mirrors and door handles, tape over all body gaps, install underbody covers, over inflate tires and so on. So the ratings based on these tests are purely subjective. VW just took it to the next level.

If the governments agencies such as EPA are going to mandate certain compliances, they have to define testing standards a lot more clearly. When these standards are vaguely defined, it basically gives EPA racketeering powers. Theoretically EPA can decide to single out any other manufacturer, accuse them of cheating during testing and impose fines and all other sorts of punishment.

Now, to make things clear, I think what VW did was very wrong. But I also agree with Clarkson that VW should take a tough stance and tell the limp brained farts in the EPA to clearly define standards for test procedures, and also set realistic requirements for emissions and economy. When setting these standards, maybe EPA should also take advice from actual engineers instead of nasally pluck dressed global warming professors. Because if engineers have to design cars that actually keep up with the mandates that these imbeciles dream up during their eco-mental potato trips, these cars will soon end up costing as much as spaceships, and cost about as much to maintain.

While ganging up on VW, its good to keep in mind that some of their TDI models can be had for an amazingly low lease rate, with lower monthly payments than what most people spend on fancy coffee at Starbucks each month.
Och, you are very wrong in everything you wrote.

1. EPA has pretty tight standards, what you said about taping and taking off mirrors in European tests that are some 30% off EPA results for gas mileage.

2. Weak regulations have nothing to do with VW cheating on NOx test... it is actually strong positive regulation that made them fraud EPA by installing software device that modifies engine parameters during test so they output 40x less polutants than in real life.

EPA can not and will not single out any other manufacturer because so far other manufacturers did not fraud the EPA testing. Sole responsibility is on VW who decided to fraud EPA so they can sell vehicles that emit 40x more NOx in real life than in the lab.

What is sad is that you are reading some press that gets confused with CO2 emissions and NOx, as well as EPA testing vs European testing.

There is simply no confusion to what happened in the case of VW - even VW is not denying what they did at all, and their new CEO apologizes on their website for frauding the public.

40x worse NOx emissions is setting us back to 90's, pre Euro III regulations. BMW and MB vehicles tested by EPA did not emit more NOx in standardized testing while VW's emited 40x more.
Old 09-30-15, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't see how differing emissions standards amounts to a conflict. It is simply a difference. VW sells gas powered cars in all the same markets they don't have any issues meeting regulations with those engines.
yep... there is no conflict at all, just desire to sell more cars and profit by installing software that frauds the goverment testing :-).

They all develop several different emission packages for worldwide use... for instance, new Toyota diesel 2.8l in Land Cruiser 150 has 3 different emission configurations worldwide - basic, with DPF, with DPF and SCR. Last one can pass Euro VI, middle one can do Euro V and basic one can do Euro IV emissions, depending on where it needs to sell.
Old 09-30-15, 03:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since VW own it, I wonder how this will affect Ducati?
Old 09-30-15, 03:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Since VW own it, I wonder how this will affect Ducati?
VW has over 40 billion in cash reserves (and eq.), so it wont affect their business as much as some predict... it will get some people rehuffled and some people fired, but thats it.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal