Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 12:57 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clarkson is an ***. Always has been always will be. He's an entertainer, just because he has an opinion doesn't make him right. I'm mesmerized some people can't differentiate between what Hyundai did and what VW did.

What I take away from Clarkson's comments is that VW couldn't compete in the new environmental landscape. Let's embrace capitalism. What happens to companies that can't compete?
Old 09-29-15, 01:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if bosch knew they were cheating they are also guilty.
Yes, Bosch wrote that software but it was upon request from VW. The request could very well have been legitimate from Bosch's point-of-view: Develop software that uses the emission controls but also allows it to bypass the controls. That would allow VW to compare the difference in engine performance (power, fuel economy, actual emissions, etc.) when the controls were used and when they were not.

As a control systems engineer, that sounds like a very legitimate request to me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look who is coming to VW's defense:

I'm not a terribly big fan of Clarkson....he has never been one of my favorite automotive journalists. But I have to agree with at least part of what he says here. I can't say I agree with everything he says here, but he does makes some good points.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/jeremy-clar...-of-volkswagen

Jeremy Clarkson has taken time out from working on his new Amazon motoring show to come to the defence of Volkswagen, the German car company currently embroiled in a scandal over its diesel-engine emissions tests.

...The whole issue has come about, Clarkson said in his column for The Sunday Times yesterday, due to "eco-mentalists" telling people first that diesel engines were less polluting than other engines before changing their minds and drawing attention to the damaging properties of the blend of nitrogen and oxygen – or NOX – the engines produced.

Various "soft-in-the-head governments" listened to those critiques and introduced new regulations on how much NOX a car could produce, Clarkson notes.
If Mr. Clarkson thinks that NOx, a known contributor to ground-level ozone and the smog that now regularly hangs over large cities such as London, Paris and Rome, not to mention the diesel exhaust particulates that are known carcinogens, are not damaging to our health, he needs to spend more time in "the country". I am sure that some small resort town in the Canadian or American Rockies would welcome his visit. He could compare how much cleaner our back country is compared to his big cities.

The new rules left VW with no choice but to redesign its engines, but the company went further and "fitted its engines with a clever bit of software that exaggerated their economy and cleanliness when they were being tested."

According to Clarkson, the trick is no different to everyday deceptions like lying on a CV or parking on double yellow lines.
No different? Parking illegally is the same as knowingly polluting our precious air?

As he sees it though, the risks to car makers and indeed Europe as a whole are huge if VW is "driven into the wilderness" by lawsuits, fines and damage to the company's reputation and sales. Because if VW goes out of business "the fallout would be immense because it owns Audi, Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Seat and Skoda as well. So they'd also go to the wall.

"And without the profits from these engineering powerhouses Germany would no longer be in a position to bail out the Greeks or house half of Syria. Which would cause global economic collapse, a humanitarian catastrophe and many plagues."
Here's a new one: VW as Saviour of the World. I have no doubt that all Greek citizens and its temporary citizens who are streaming through Greece (on the way to Wolfsburg, no doubt) regularly bow before and kiss the BIG VW logo.

Now I get it... Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is in this with VW. All Syrian citizens that do not want to live with Assad can go live with VW.

And being Saviour of the World justifies lying, cheating and polluting our air.

Clarkson's claims on issues relating to pollution and the environment have been repudiated frequently by scientists and campaigners.

Bill McGuire, professor of geophysical and climate hazards at UCL described the presenter's Sunday Times columns as "barely coherent products of Clarkson's own fevered imagination".
Thank you. Finally some sanity. I think that Mr. Clarkson has spent too much time in the diesel-polluted air of London and Paris; he is hallucinating.
Old 09-29-15, 02:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,553 Posts

Wow those are some major league moronic comments even for Clarkson.
Old 09-29-15, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, clarkson is pretty stupid on this one.

i am still quite amazed that there is argument whether what vw did was illegal or not
Old 09-29-15, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

Thank you. Finally some sanity. I think that Mr. Clarkson has spent too much time in the diesel-polluted air of London and Paris; he is hallucinating.
Please be aware, though, that several of the quotes you previously had under my name were not me, but quoted directly from the article....part of which I did not agree with, and part I did.
Old 09-29-15, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, clarkson is pretty stupid on this one.

i am still quite amazed that there is argument whether what vw did was illegal or not
funniest part is that VW admitted that they were doing illegal things, but some parts of the press that got wined and dined for years still defend them.
Old 09-29-15, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
funniest part is that VW admitted that they were doing illegal things, but some parts of the press that got wined and dined for years still defend them.
yes, i really thought it couldn't be clearer. to me vw was caught red-handed, they knew there's no way out, they admitted, they tried damage control, executives fired / resigned. i don't know what's there to defend
Old 09-29-15, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

FYI, VW stock was down to $95 today. Last week, it flattened out and looked like it was going to stabilize at around $107-108...but no dice.
Old 09-29-15, 04:13 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting to contrast responses to Clarkson's piece with the arguments of those who supported the bailout of GM, Chrysler, etc.
Old 09-29-15, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Interesting to contrast responses to Clarkson's piece with the arguments of those who supported the bailout of GM, Chrysler, etc.
To me, it sounds like apples and oranges. VW, unlike GM and Chrysler, hasn't yet reached the point where any kind of a bailout would be necessary. Clarkson, though, seems concerned that enough damage could be done that VW could actually get to that point. And it also begs the question (or rather, comment) that those in government who would vote to levy big fines against the company wouldn't be likely to turn around and hand money right back to them in a bailout.
Old 09-29-15, 05:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what are they gonna do, ban all these cars? Go ahead
Old 09-29-15, 06:18 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone buy a VW to begin with? I mean they are so unreliable and user unfriendly.
Old 09-29-15, 07:38 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"According to Clarkson, the trick is no different to everyday deceptions like lying on a CV or parking on double yellow lines."

What an IDIOT. We all don't go around licking toxic yellow paint and get exposed to it. That yellow paint isn't in our lungs & eyes.
Old 09-29-15, 07:43 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

And it also begs the question (or rather, comment) that those in government who would vote to levy big fines against the company wouldn't be likely to turn around and hand money right back to them in a bailout.
This is an odd statement for many reasons. First, note that these are two different governments in question. Second, the contrapositive is precisely what was suggested occurred in the case of GM's ignition switch defects.

Keep in mind GM admitted knowing about the ignition switch defects and concealing information from investigators/prosecutors. At least 124 people died as a result. A $900 million fine for the deaths of 124 people seems like a pittance.

As an aside, please note this is an incorrect usage of the term "begs the question".
Old 09-29-15, 07:50 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Hmm, kinda suspect of MB...

11,000 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Vans Recalled

Daimler just announced that it will be recalling some of its Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans. According to MarketWatch, the move is to allow the company to replace the software of the vehicle that is related to its emissions.
Based from the source, the company sent an estimated 11,000 letters to customers who bought Sprinter models. The document mentioned that the “emissions-relevant control units” of the vans will be getting enhanced software. Further along the letter, it noted that it is “to avoid possible trouble with the authorities and test organizations.”
The parent of the three-pointed star brand cleared out though that the decision had nothing to do with the problem plaguing Volkswagen, which is related to emissions manipulation. The spokesperson of Daimler said the letters were sent to customers way back in June. This is to address the issue wherein some of the units lacked the function to communicate with test devices.
It should be noted that even Mercedes was dragged into the fray when Deutsche Umwelthilfe (DUH) also accused the company of cheating the results of its emission tests, following the scandal that rocked its competitor, Volkswagen, to its core.
In a probe conducted by John German, an automotive engineer, he found out that the parent of Audi has been utilizing advanced devices to suppress the actual emission figures of its vehicles. He discovered the fraud when he compared the actual road test figures of some of its vehicles against the lab test numbers produced by the company.
A few days ago, Daimler categorically denied using similar tactic. The company defended itself by saying that it has been complying religiously to regulations.
http://www.benzinsider.com/2015/09/1...vans-recalled/

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal