Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,711 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Hyundai lied about mileage but at least their engines didn't have to be modified, the car you bought still performs exactly the same albeit with lower efficiency than what buyers were told. And it meets all emissions standards.

VW marketed the diesel specifically as clean and more efficient than a gas engine.

Volkswagen diesel scandal-47yqkzr.png
Old 09-22-15, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Is this true?
yes, this is from VW PR... they say 11 million cars affected, but it is not clear if those cars need to all meet standards similar to EPA (i think they dont).

In any case, VW has now set aside 7.3$ billion for handling this and also said that this might rise in the future.
Old 09-22-15, 12:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Hyundai lied about mileage but at least their engines didn't have to be modified, the car you bought still performs exactly the same albeit with lower efficiency than what buyers were told. And it meets all emissions standards.

VW marketed the diesel specifically as clean and more efficient than a gas engine.

yes, this is much, much worse.
Old 09-22-15, 12:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
VW did license a few SCR related patents from Daimler but it didn't want to use SCR for reasons unknown, one is that it needs a consumable(DEF) and it takes up underhood/undercar space. VW instead used NOx adsorption catalysts with a heavy dose of EGR. Navistar also went this route with their truck/school bus engines but got in trouble with CARB while Cummins, PACCAR, Volvo and Detroit Diesel(who is owned by Daimler) went with SCR.
VW uses SCR when it needs to, like anyone else... difference is that VW didnt want to implement SCR here for cost reasons - so they can sell more cars for cheaper.
Old 09-22-15, 12:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,711 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
In any case, VW has now set aside 7.3$ billion for handling this and also said that this might rise in the future.
7.3$ billion, at minimum. So who at VW costed the whole thing out and decided cheating on the test was better than putting in the tech to make the engines actually run clean. Seems to me the risk/reward ratio is atrocious.
Old 09-22-15, 12:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a feeling that the urea system costs a heck of a lot more than $400 to add
Old 09-22-15, 12:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

7.3$ billion, at minimum. So who at VW costed the whole thing out and decided cheating on the test was better than putting in the tech to make the engines actually run clean. Seems to me the risk/reward ratio is atrocious.

Same bean counter who costed out the Pinto fuel tank design (or his son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter)?

The millions$/billions$ saved (or made, by being able to sell 25% more cars) could pay for the negative fallout later when it is discovered?
Old 09-22-15, 12:20 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

a part of me feels like that because of this California will revert back to smog check tail pipe emissions testing

just saying, (another worst case fallout scenario)
Old 09-22-15, 12:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm just wondering when VW stock price will be low enough to buy.

When this all blows over, it's only going to go back up.
Old 09-22-15, 01:27 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm just wondering when VW stock price will be low enough to buy.

When this all blows over, it's only going to go back up.
VW just stopped the free fall by announcing the $8B set aside for settlements. Should have shorted it yesterday, and catch it back on the way up as a long for the next year or so. Would have resulted in a net 50% / year gain. Anyway, should have, would have, could have.... as an old French proverb said:
Avec des ci est des mais, on mettrai Paris en bouteille. (with ifs and buts, we could put Paris in a bottle).
Old 09-22-15, 01:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

VW is going to offer some financial assistance to dealers here in the US:

While the firestorm engulfing Volkswagen over its diesel-engine emissions-test cheating will undoubtedly reverberate throughout the automaker’s headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany, the crisis is also impacting the U.S. dealer network. So far, with only the U.S. and, now, Canada forcing a stop-sale of current VW products equipped with the 2.o-liter diesel four-cylinder engines—and no fines, court settlements, and other payouts yet, it’s the dealers who are being hit the hardest by this scandal. Which is why, as uncovered by Automotive News, VW has laid the groundwork for financial assistance to American dealers to help them weather the storm.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswa...sions-scandal/

Also, Winterkorn offered up a video and apparently is not stepping down.

Volkswagen Group chairman Martin Winterkorn has released a video statement in response to the emissions-cheating scandal involving the company’s 2.0-liter TDI diesel engines, and although he once again apologized for any wrongdoing, he did not offer his resignation.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-chai...stepping-down/
Old 09-22-15, 02:31 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
VW just stopped the free fall by announcing the $8B set aside for settlements. Should have shorted it yesterday, and catch it back on the way up as a long for the next year or so. Would have resulted in a net 50% / year gain. Anyway, should have, would have, could have.... as an old French proverb said:
Avec des ci est des mais, on mettrai Paris en bouteille. (with ifs and buts, we could put Paris in a bottle).
Stock is very hard to short, difficult to borrow the shares. There was a horrendous short squeeze awhile ago during the acquisition of the balance of Porsche shares VW didn't already own. Not sure this will be a v shaped bottom, but I am sure $8 billion wont be near enough. This story will have legs, I was shocked how soon the CEO came out and admitted they were guilty of this.

JTMav
Old 09-22-15, 03:43 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
Stock is very hard to short, difficult to borrow the shares. There was a horrendous short squeeze awhile ago during the acquisition of the balance of Porsche shares VW didn't already own. Not sure this will be a v shaped bottom, but I am sure $8 billion wont be near enough. This story will have legs, I was shocked how soon the CEO came out and admitted they were guilty of this.

JTMav
I didn't look into availability. As far as handling it. This is a classic and, while I hate to say it, classy way of handling this. The gig is up, admit to the evidence, offer a restoration plan and placate the critics so the story doesn't get any more traction than it needs to. A sharp contrast to #hameron
Old 09-22-15, 04:00 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Which luxury brands will benefit from the defection of former and would-have-been Audi owners? Many who picked the Audis for performance will likely stick with the Germans (BMW,MB), although Lexus hybrids may get some of the environmentally-conscious types who bought Audi diesels thinking they were "environmentally correct". Lexus may just get enough of the defectors for it to win the sales crown as top selling luxury car brand in the US for 2015 or maybe 2016. Acura will likely move up to 4th place (currently occupied by Audi).
Old 09-22-15, 04:41 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

There are two major questions here:

1. Is there anybody who knows how they found this out ? I mean they had this cheat for years and suddenly out of nowhere this came up. Insider ?

2. Did VW really think that this never ever would be found by anybody ? If that the case, they must had a very high trust in how this program was hidden in the ECU. But then again, everybody knows that there is no such thing as an unhackable computer.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal