Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man smashed Mercedes S63 AMG after it keeps stalling .

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 06:54 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
All your scenarios are unlikely for this case

1. The issue has already to dealer attention and that's unlikely to be the case.
2. In China? lease don't exist for expensive car. They are all cash deal. Even if he finance it, he will still need to make payment.
3. They might have cheap mod on a civic / corolla, but not a S63 AMG. Someone that afford this in China will only hire upscale licensed European tunner if they decide to mod it.
Its Korea........
Old 09-15-15, 07:59 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Pulling one out of thin air. Is it possible SOMEONE has hacked into these cars remotely? I can see the hacker despising "rich" people.Too many too soon. Could also, hate to say it, be a way in the future for corporate sabatoge. NOT suggesting getting people killed but I can see one day every time these 200k cars were someplace safe like home, parking mall, grocery store etc not starting. Used with GPS and speed one could dial in the hack.

Something fishy is going on here. If I were Benz I'd hire a top notch software sleuth to eliminate that possibility. Where is the hack coming from if any? Possible disgruntled employee?

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-15-15 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 08:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Honda had a similar problem with their Civic Hybrid with the old Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system, which did not have a powerful enough electric motor to drive the car in electric vehicle (EV) mode. As the driver took the foot off the accelerator to coast, the engine would shut off, only to turn on again as soon the foot got back on the accelerator.

What this did was to cause extremely jerky fine maneuvers, such as when parallel parking: With the right foot constantly on and off the accelerator, shifting between it and the brake pedal, the car would be constantly stopping and re-starting, making for an extremely jerky, annoying ride.

What helps the Toyota and Lexus hybrid system's auto-stop is the electric motor. Since the electric motor is always driving the car (especially at slow speeds), the engine can start only when needed to provide boost to the electric motor, not immediately when the driver's foot gets back on the accelerator.
Old 09-15-15, 09:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
gah, he really showed MB, destroying his own property
Then again, how many millions of people have now watched the video?
Old 09-15-15, 10:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Then again, how many millions of people have now watched the video?
Would this stop you from buying a mercedes? Not me... as they say, there is no such thing as bad press
Old 09-16-15, 01:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Would this stop you from buying a mercedes? Not me... as they say, there is no such thing as bad press
It would not stop me from buying "a mercedes" in the future, but it definately will stop me from buying any high end AMG models in the near future, including the S63 coupe, which I have been seriously considering since early this year.
Old 09-16-15, 05:11 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They may say so, but I know the unintended acceleration news and videos weren't necessarily good press for Toyota.
Old 09-16-15, 08:13 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Its Korea........
Well, the editor of this article states:
"Upon parking the Affalterbach luxury sedan in front of the Shin Sung Motors dealership in Guangzhou, the owner of the car methodically smashed the car. "

Guangzhou is a huge city in Southern China
Old 09-16-15, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It would not stop me from buying "a mercedes" in the future, but it definately will stop me from buying any high end AMG models in the near future, including the S63 coupe, which I have been seriously considering since early this year.
i thought you said the c coupe looks too much like the s coupe? anyway, i sure hope you get an s63 coupe... wow!
Old 09-16-15, 11:49 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It would certainly cause me to investigate the issue further. Then, like BNR34, I might find that this problem has been reported by other members over at the MB forums who own S63s. Then, I might read the MB forums further and find out that other members are reporting the same problem with their E, CLA, and C-class vehicles.

Many people who view the video may not care. But out of the millions who watch when such a video goes viral, some will care. And that's bad press and I can only assume that's what the guy intended to create.
Old 09-16-15, 02:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i thought you said the c coupe looks too much like the s coupe? anyway, i sure hope you get an s63 coupe... wow!
Yes it does, it used to be that when you see a mercedes sports grill even from afar, you know it's something expensive and more exclusive. Nowadays you can't tell if it's a lowly CLA250 or a C class coupe That plus the stalling problem , if not resolved soon satisfactorily by Mercedes, will definately kill it for me ......
Old 09-16-15, 03:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I saw a S65 coupe and S63 coupe parked side by side in the MB dealership when I was there trying to buy a S550. I can say the AMG coupe in person is really really impressive! Only took crappy phone pictures so can't show it here, but my point is these cars are really different when see it in person. If I'm single and don't have 3 cars to pay, I would def. have bought the edition 1 S63 that day.
Old 09-16-15, 03:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh definitely, I was implying that I would be willing to accept it if he was going to total it anyways
The insurance company would sell it to you as is for $20k, all smashed up and is still stalling.
Old 09-16-15, 04:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I saw a S65 coupe and S63 coupe parked side by side in the MB dealership when I was there trying to buy a S550. I can say the AMG coupe in person is really really impressive! Only took crappy phone pictures so can't show it here, but my point is these cars are really different when see it in person. If I'm single and don't have 3 cars to pay, I would def. have bought the edition 1 S63 that day.
I saw one S65 coupe on the road too, they do look good
Old 09-16-15, 07:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
Well, the editor of this article states:
"Upon parking the Affalterbach luxury sedan in front of the Shin Sung Motors dealership in Guangzhou, the owner of the car methodically smashed the car. "

Guangzhou is a huge city in Southern China
The guy who wrote the article is making stuff up.

The plates are Korean and all the signage is in Korea. And the news van they show is Korean. There web site. http://www.kjmbc.co.kr/

http://artofgears.com/2015/09/14/wat...h-a-golf-club/

Quick Reply: Man smashed Mercedes S63 AMG after it keeps stalling .