Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Making an LFA kit car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 11:08 PM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thing is people will buy a cookie cutter $30,000 car but not imagine to restore a 300zx. Although yes the engine bay is a nightmare, specially with the turbo version, engine swaps are available where a $5k base ZX could be finished for $10-15k total.

Why arent NSX's also found in the junk yard?... because the design is really great looking!
Old 09-14-15, 04:49 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree, the 300zx is one of the best designs to come from the land of the rising sun.

When these were new, NSX were double the price of a 300zx, which made them very rare.

Not of a fan of nissans new design language.
Old 09-14-15, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Making an LFA kit car

There are many cars that I think are beautiful and that stand out from their peers in the timeframes they were built that I haven't owned. I can't own every car I think is beautiful, nobody can.

When the 300ZX was made I was a child. I'm not the sort of person that buys old cars and does "projects". I buy new cars that suit my practical needs.

If you think the LFA is so beautiful why don't you buy one? That's the same logic.

Again like I said, if you think this will be great why are you posting looking for opinions? By your post you've obviously posted this and asked for opinions on multiple forums and gotten the same response. You asked, we told you we think it's stupid, you obviously don't care so stop yapping and just do it.
Old 09-14-15, 07:57 AM
LoveCT
Driver

I think you're onto something good DreamMaker. I like your conceptual renderings. Replace the Lexus Logo with DM and you'll be a looker for sure.

Like all the good mods, execution is everything. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-14-15, 08:14 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks... I'll definitely keep you guys updated on how it turns out.

@SW15LS
I havent shown this LFA design anywhere else... I wouldve liked to see a good number of people applaud the idea but often many people are close minded to kit cars.
If I was a millionaire I would buy an LFA, but since 99% of the population dont have that kind of money to drive such beautiful art, thats where kit cars come in.

The ZX is very unique in that its sleek proportions are not found in any other affordable cars. Its almost LFA like. They do come in 2+2 seating for a small family and has lots of trunk space in the hatch.
Its old condition wouldnt matter to most if it had looks like the LFA... people would just contract the "project" portion of the work out to mechanics and be done with it.

I'll see which design to eventually decide on.

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I have to agree, the 300zx is one of the best designs to come from the land of the rising sun.

When these were new, NSX were double the price of a 300zx, which made them very rare.

Not of a fan of nissans new design language.
Nissans new language is going backwards in design... even the new Z is planned to be an SUV. I actually like the 08-14 Maxima a lot for what it is... but overall most car companies are all about planned obsolescence when it comes to design.
Even look at the LF-LC concept, great car but when the production products hit the market... its nowhere close to being as exotic.

Last edited by DreamMaker; 09-14-15 at 08:22 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-14-15, 08:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DreamMaker
I havent shown this LFA design anywhere else... I wouldve liked to see a good number of people applaud the idea but often many people are close minded to kit cars.
Like I said before...don't ask for opinions if you aren't interested in knowing people's actual opinions...don't call people closed minded because they didn't give you the opinion you were looking for
Old 09-14-15, 08:28 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

So what would be your main reason?;
1 It would be a poser car
2 It would ruin a 300zx
3 Not worth swapping a simpler newer Nissan engine in for a possible problematic car.
Old 09-14-15, 08:55 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that Lamborghini used the 300zx headlights on the Diablo.

Might be an easier conversion?

In all honestly, If I had the money to burn and a 300zx laying around. I would much rather restore it to original.
Old 09-14-15, 08:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

If you have your mind set, then you should go for it

I love the old Z32, on my bucket list of cars to own

Where are you going to source the headlights?
The body panels will be fiberglass?

I'd say the DAMD body kit on the FRS is a good approach.

Old 09-14-15, 09:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

2 It would ruin a 300zx
3 Not worth swapping a simpler newer Nissan engine in for a possible problematic car.
Again...you asked...

I think it will look completely stupid. I would much rather restore your 300ZX to its original glory, perhaps some nice tasteful modifications to make it modern and stand out.
Old 09-14-15, 09:10 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

So the 3D picture there already looks stupid then because thats how it will look like in real life.
Originally Posted by DaSyce
I remember reading somewhere that Lamborghini used the 300zx headlights on the Diablo.

Might be an easier conversion?

In all honestly, If I had the money to burn and a 300zx laying around. I would much rather restore it to original.
I tried overlaying a Diablo front in the past... I remember it didnt turn out as well. The Nissan r390 also used the same headlights which could turn out something like the following... even saving money on the headlight cost... but its not as exotic.
By the way it will only be a front conversion.
https://i.imgur.com/u1Uo9ql.jpg

If I wasnt in a poverty rush to make it I would go all out for a full body

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Where are you going to source the headlights?
The body panels will be fiberglass?
I'll have to custom CNC it on like a suit.... and source the headlights from the Lexus NX. Initially Im going to vacuum form plastic panels then reinforce it with fiberglass.

Last edited by DreamMaker; 09-14-15 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So the 3D there already looks stupid then because thats how it will look like in real life.
Yes I think it looks stupid in the 3D model too.
Old 09-14-15, 10:35 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

2 It would ruin a 300zx
Its your car, do what ever you want regardless of our comment. If you have time & $$, do it. Draft a unique design of your own instead of LFA copy.
Old 09-15-15, 11:51 AM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The money would be so much better spent restoring it to mint condition into something like this

These cars are becoming relatively old and rare now that they are well differentiated from any "30k cookie cutter" you can buy today, and you'd almost be universally praised and applauded by car enthusiasts everywhere rather than soundly mocked and derided for making a fake LFA that isn't anything like the real thing, nor as timeless as the 300ZX.

A properly restored 300ZX will fetch a very high return in the used car market and is well worth the investment if you have the skill and time.
Old 09-15-15, 05:59 PM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

Wouldnt an LFA kit keep more ZX cars on the road then the junk yard?

Quick Reply: Making an LFA kit car