Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Used Cars, by Share of Sales to Millennials

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Top 10 Used Cars, by Share of Sales to Millennials

Dodge Magnum Scores Highest with Millennials on Used Car Market, Says Edmunds.com

Analysis Uncovers Surprising and Eclectic List of Out-of-Production Models and Family-Friendly Vehicles that Skew toward America's Youngest Population of Used Car Buyers

Top 10 Used Cars, by Share of Sales to Millennials
(Jan-Jun 2015)
Rank Used Car Model Share of Model's Sales to Millennials
1 DODGE MAGNUM* 27.6%
2 CHRYSLER PACIFICA* 27.3%
3 SUBARU WRX 26.4%
4 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER* 25.9%
5 VOLKSWAGEN R32* 25.7%
6 PONTIAC AZTEK* 25.5%
7 NISSAN GT-R 25.4%
8 SATURN OUTLOOK* 25.3%
9 DODGE DURANGO 24.8%
10 LEXUS IS-F 24.7%
INDUSTRY AVERAGE 16.8%

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — September 9, 2015 — Dodge Magnum has a higher rate of Millennial buyers than any other vehicle on the used car market, according to a new analysis released today by car shopping destination Edmunds.com. The analysis further found that there is an array of unlikely, out-of-production models – like the Magnum, Chrysler Pacifica and Pontiac Aztek – that are finding new life on the pre-owned market with a younger crowd of buyers.

According to Edmunds' findings, 27.6 percent of all used Magnums sold in the U.S. were bought by Millennial shoppers (age 18-34) in the first six months of 2015, outpacing any other vehicle on the used car market, and far exceeding the overall used car industry average of 16.8 percent. The vehicle's pull with young buyers is not just isolated to this year: based on Edmunds' research, the Magnum is poised to claim the top Millennial share for the third year in a row. Chrysler Pacifica is next on the list, with 27.3 percent of all used sales this year registered to Millennials.

Both Magnum and Pacifica have a distinct characteristic in common, aside from being larger crossover vehicles: they are no longer in production. In fact, Edmunds found that six of the ten used models with the highest rates of Millennial buyers are no longer produced by automakers. But while these vehicles no longer roll off assembly lines, Edmunds analysts say that they offer young used car buyers almost unparalleled value.

"Millennials are more practical used car shoppers than we might otherwise credit them," said Edmunds.com Analyst Jeremy Acevedo. "They may not go into the shopping process targeting these lesser-known vehicles, but when they see how their price tags stack up against other, better-known vehicles, they suddenly become a lot more attractive. When it comes to used cars, value and utility appear to trump just about anything else for many Millennial buyers."

Other insights and storylines revealed by Edmunds' research into Millennial used car shopping habits include:

Millennial Parents Turn to Used — Edmunds' research found that the largest penetration of Millennial buyers can be found in the used passenger van segment (including minivans), where the demographic made up about 20 percent of all purchases this year. By comparison, Millennials made up 17.3 percent of all used sedan purchases and 15.8 percent of all used coupe purchases. The used minivans with the largest shares of Millennial buyers this year are Volkswagen Routan (24.6 percent), Nissan Quest (23.9 percent), and Honda Odyssey (23.6 percent).

Rise of the Aztek — Once regarded by Edmunds as one of the ugliest car of all time, the Pontiac Aztek has enjoyed a renaissance of sorts with Millennials in the secondhand market. In 2010, the Aztek had the highest rate of Millennial used car buyers, with exactly one-third of all used Aztek sales falling into the hands of shoppers age 18-34. The vehicle has since maintained a top-ten Millennial share in four of the last five years. Edmunds suspects that the "Breaking Bad Effect" has at least some hand in the vehicle's sustained popularity with young buyers.

Geographic Influences — Millennial used car preferences vary from state to state, and even city to city, according to used car registration data from January to June. The Magnum, for example, claims the highest Millennial share in Midwest cities like Detroit (43.5 percent) and Chicago (28.8 percent), while Millennials make up the largest share of used Saturn Outlook sales in Dallas (37 percent) and Atlanta (36.9 percent). The Pontiac Torrent, meanwhile, boasts the highest Millennial share in Houston (34 percent) and Phoenix (33.3 percent).

Edmunds.com's research into Millennial used car buying habits was based on used car registration data provided by Polk. Data for 2015 includes all used car registrations recorded through the first six months of the year. Data from 2010 to 2014 is based on registrations recorded over the course of each full year. The universe of vehicles evaluated by Edmunds includes used cars and trucks that are ten years old or younger.

More insights and analysis into car shopping trends and behaviors can be found in Edmunds' Industry Center at http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/.
http://www.edmunds.com/about/press/d...dmundscom.html
Old 09-11-15, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Both Magnum and Pacifica have a distinct characteristic in common, aside from being larger crossover vehicles: they are no longer in production.
The Magnum is not a "crossover" in the sense that the term is usually referred to in automotive circles, which is a car-derived, unibody SUV or multipurpose vehicle with a raised-suspension/ride-height and FWD/AWD. The Magnum's structure is unibody, but it is a RWD/AWD wagon version of the Dodge Charger, with no added ride-height......essentially a sedan with a tailgate.
Old 09-12-15, 06:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm, kind of some truth to that, cars I've owned that are no longer in production:

Cadillac Seville
Cadillac Brougham
Cadillac Fleetwood

Chevrolet Camaro Z28, well it was out of production the whole time I owned it.
Acura RSX-fun car but it was way too loud and rode way too stiff. Camaro was better in both respects, even with the exhaust work done on that car. Plus it was cheaply made, it had more rattles than the Camaro and the leather seats were splitting when I got rid of it.

Lexus SC300. Oh and the RC is not its spiritual successor IMO, way too ugly to even share the same room with the SC. Plus adjusted for inflation they weren't really priced the same/aimed at the same buyer IMO. SC is more luxury oriented.
Old 09-12-15, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hmmm, kind of some truth to that, cars I've owned that are no longer in production:

Cadillac Brougham
Cadillac Fleetwood
The Brougham and Fleetwood, despite the poor build quality outside of the reliable drivetrain, were the very definition of automotive comfort. It's a shame that cars like that aren't built any more at realistic prices.

Chevrolet Camaro Z28, well it was out of production the whole time I owned it.
Acura RSX-fun car but it was way too loud and rode way too stiff. Camaro was better in both respects, even with the exhaust work done on that car. Plus it was cheaply made, it had more rattles than the Camaro and the leather seats were splitting when I got rid of it.
I'm not sure I follow you here.....you owned an RSX that was more poorly-built than a Camaro of that era, and had more rattles? That would be quite unusual. The last GM F-body Camaros and Firebirds from the late 1990s and early 2000's (not the current-genenration Camaro), were notoriously cheap built, with poor body and interior materials.

Lexus SC300. Oh and the RC is not its spiritual successor IMO, way too ugly to even share the same room with the SC.
For that matter, IMO (you may or may not agree), except for the nicely-done wood-label dash, the 2Gen SC itself was too awkward-looking to share the same room with the classy 1Gen SC. (I know that there are some 2Gen SC fans here, and this is not meant to be a barb a them, but I never liked the 2Gen's Audi-TT looks).
Old 09-12-15, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Surprising. So what happened to all the used corollas, civics, etc.? Given their strong (high) resale price, maybe millenials don't think they're as good a value?
Old 09-12-15, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Surprising. So what happened to all the used corollas, civics, etc.? Given their strong (high) resale price, maybe millenials don't think they're as good a value?
I don't usually talk in automotive cliches, but, in a word, those cars probably aren't "cool" enough.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-15 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-12-15, 08:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it's more that millennials are very image-conscious and will go after something they view as cool. Older, more mature people will be more concerned with aspects like value and reliability.
Old 09-12-15, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I've always liked the dodge magnum! I see quite a few around, usually modded and they look great.
Old 09-12-15, 09:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

10 LEXUS IS-F 24.7%
Long live the first F
Old 09-13-15, 12:47 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Aztek, really???!!!
Old 09-13-15, 01:03 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow Aztek, really???!!!
i thought the same thing.. i thought that suv was long gone..
Old 09-13-15, 12:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Brougham and Fleetwood, despite the poor build quality outside of the reliable drivetrain, were the very definition of automotive comfort. It's a shame that cars like that aren't built any more at realistic prices.

I'm not sure I follow you here.....you owned an RSX that was more poorly-built than a Camaro of that era, and had more rattles? That would be quite unusual. The last GM F-body Camaros and Firebirds from the late 1990s and early 2000's (not the current-genenration Camaro), were notoriously cheap built, with poor body and interior materials.

For that matter, IMO (you may or may not agree), except for the nicely-done wood-label dash, the 2Gen SC itself was too awkward-looking to share the same room with the classy 1Gen SC. (I know that there are some 2Gen SC fans here, and this is not meant to be a barb a them, but I never liked the 2Gen's Audi-TT looks).
Agreed with you on the old Cadillacs. Although I will say the 1991 Brougham was way better built than the 1995 Fleetwood. All the chrome trim except for the bumpers on the 1995 was plastic chrome, the interior was rather stark and austere compared to the 1991, it was inferior to the 1991 except for what was under the hood and the noticable reduction in wind noise.

And yes I was as suprised as you were that the Camaro held up better over time than the RSX. Granted the interior in the RSX looked way cooler than the Camaro, but IMO a base model Civic was bolted together better than the RSX and cost about 2/3rds of the price. The punishing ride might have been the reason the interior developed all those rattles.

As for the 2nd gen SC, that's one of the ugliest cars ever made, always driven by little old blue haired old money ladies with no sense of taste.

As for used Hondas, the resale price on them is way too high for what you get IMO. Only reason I had that RSX is I bought it off a friend for a good price, had it for about 6 months, put new brakes on it, polished the headlights, fixed the driver's seat and sold it for $2000 more than I paid for it.

Last edited by Aron9000; 09-13-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 01:11 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i thought the same thing.. i thought that suv was long gone..
Breaking Bad
Old 09-14-15, 01:43 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have to think these stats are for family buyers.
Old 09-14-15, 05:24 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually, the Aztec despite it's looks was a roomy and comfortable vehicle. The rear drop down gate was a pain though.

My next door neighbor, a recent high school grad came home with a Dodge Magnum one day. It seems as if has a cult following with the young crowd.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Used Cars, by Share of Sales to Millennials