Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 05:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Well the point is that the overall LSUV market has grown by 15% in January 2016 vs 2015, and yet the RX has only grown by 6% despite a complete redesign, making it hard not to point to the presence of the NX as a cause of the RX's decreased market share.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/02...uary-2016.html
lol, they have very low number of 4RX's right now... how do you think this works, they get a million of them in stock? Just like NX, RX is currently supply limited, it just launched. Even year later NX is supply limited.

According to dealer stocks, they have more of old models than new models right now.

Even then, their goal is not going to be to increase sales of RX by 50%, especially not in the USA where it is best seller... their goal is going to be to raise average prices and lower average incentive. With everyone having 5 SUVs in lineup, there is no way for RX to "keep its market share", thats just not the way the business works.

When they introduce CX and TX, RX sales might even go down. But that does not mean that this is bad for Lexus - overall, it will sell 2x more vehicles than with RX alone and thats very profitable for them.

All of their SUVs are hot right now and they cant produce more, despite them hiring unprecedented number of workers in their factories in Japan (there were news stories about this). This 10 day suspension of production is going to hurt them a bit too.
Old 02-10-16, 05:30 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's not really a big deal though since the NX is like an RX Lite. At 182in in length, it is 2" longer than the original RX300. The RX could no longer straddle segments for this 4th generation, especially with the onslaught of smaller utes being rolled out. RX would be missing out on potential sales regardless, enter NX. Seems like a good tandem.
You must've missed the last part of my previous post. My point is that the NX is good for Lexus as a whole even though it's bound to eat into a portion of the RX sales.
Given how much the SUV market has grown in general, I think it's evident that the NX has eaten into the RX sales with the RX sales not growing nearly as much as it should, particularly with the RX's recent redesign, although it's obvious that the overall Lexus SUV sales benefits as a result.
Old 02-10-16, 05:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
January

Model 2016 January units vs 2015 January units
NX 3,133 vs 2,812
RX 6,956 vs 6,569

Granted I'm not sure what the split is for actual MY16 vs MY15 but overall volume for January of this year is up and the NX is gaining traction
thats with 2 days less in January as well as snow storm ... those numbers are crazy and just point out how popular SUVs are right now. All of Lexus SUVs are currently supply limited.

DSR wise, RX is up 14.3% in January and NX is up 20%. LX is up 120%.... Total Lexus truck sales are up 15.9% compared to 2015 (DSR).

Lets see Lexus SUV sales through last few years - keep in mind January 2016 had 2 days of sales less, so difference is 15.9% in DSR to 2015.

January Lexus truck sales
2016: 12,282
2015: 11,477
2014: 7,406
2013: 6,459

So obviously NX is huge win, just like it should be as a new model. In fact, it should impact RX sales more but it does not due to craziness around SUVs in general.
Old 02-10-16, 05:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You must've missed the last part of my previous post. My point is that the NX is good for Lexus as a whole even though it's bound to eat into a portion of the RX sales.
Yeah I was only responding to your replied post. That one was several above that. Looks like we're on the same page though.
Old 03-23-16, 06:24 PM
smualum11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just curious as to why do you have such a need for a 3 row RX?
As of right now, on a weekly basis I have a need to tote family members + 2 dogs, especially on the weekends. It gets a bit cramped especially when thinking about hauling "stuff" or things for overnights with everyone when the dogs are subjected to the trunk as is. We have relatives that live a 3 hour car ride away, and we go basically 8 to 10 times a year.

With the third row, I'd be able to allow the dogs in that row alongside a bit of "stuff" in the legroom areas, along with what small trunk area there would be.

When this vehicle releases, it is the same time that me and my husband are looking to start our family. Either immediately before or very soon after we would have our first child, making the third row for the dogs basically a mandatory, but I would keep the vehicle long enough for child or kids to be old enough to have a need to haul their friends as well.

Maybe a bit of overkill, you guys can tell me, but I do come from the land of TX where we love large vehicles.
Old 03-23-16, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

LOTS of people need/want a three row vehicle lol. Obviously, thats why dealers have been clamoring for them.
Old 03-23-16, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The long wait here is likely due to keeping this generation RX sales rolling. I'd imagine the 2018 would be some kind of facelift year for the regular unit. To roll out this extended RX, only to have it facelifted one year later has never happened in the past with other brands and doesn't make financial sense for tooling. So this is a good hint of when the facelift is coming. I'd likely bump the timeframe down a half year, as two years from now is not enough time for the all-new RX to be on sale before being changed.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 03-23-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 06:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Wonder if it will be on a new platform with additional engine options. Can't imagine people will be too happy with a 0-60 performance close to 8 seconds with the extra weight.
Old 03-24-16, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The long wait here is likely due to keeping this generation RX sales rolling.
that makes zero sense. if they believe NOT having the 3 row is necessary to keep this gen rx sales rolling then they wouldn't introduce the 3 row at all.

oh and weren't there some on here who were ADAMANT lexus would never have a 3 row rx?
Old 03-24-16, 08:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Wonder if it will be on a new platform with additional engine options. Can't imagine people will be too happy with a 0-60 performance close to 8 seconds with the extra weight.
i dont think performance will change that much at all. New RX350 is not slow by any means.

They actually said specifically that changes will be minimal.

Waiting game is simply because they started on it late.
Old 03-24-16, 08:16 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think performance will change that much at all. New RX350 is not slow by any means.

They actually said specifically that changes will be minimal.

Waiting game is simply because they started on it late.
I think the seats alone will add 100lbs. Then the associated safety features like airbags, extra structural reinforcements/modifications in the rear, may have to lengthen the chassis...All in I think weight will go up by around 250lbs. The new RX may not be slow, but I believe it is the slowest in class with a low to mid 7s 0-60 time.
Old 03-24-16, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
To roll out this extended RX, only to have it facelifted one year later has never happened in the past with other brands and doesn't make financial sense for tooling.
Only time I have ever seen anything similar to what you are referring to was the 03/04 and then 05 Tundra. I remember the access cab got a refresh is styling in 03, then Toyota introduced the 2004 Double Cab that was larger in size, doors, bed size, bed depth, width etc etc...the 2004 was based off the Sequoia design, same styling as the 03 Tundra access cab but with different doors...then in 2005 then entire Tundra line got a significant refresh, new engines, refreshed headlights, taillights, new engine upgrades, new tranny, new seats, new speedometer etc etc. So I have only seen it once.
Old 03-24-16, 12:52 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll be interested to see the "seats". I'm expecting some useless jump seats good for 5 yr olds. I just can't envision the RX as a 3 row vehicle with the sloping roof.
Old 03-24-16, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'll be interested to see the "seats". I'm expecting some useless jump seats good for 5 yr olds. I just can't envision the RX as a 3 row vehicle with the sloping roof.
suspect the vehicle itself may be longer, thus giving more possibilities.
Old 03-24-16, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I'm sure it will be on the same platform. Engine options won't be an issue, won't weigh that much more.

I also agree that it has nothing to do with a refresh. This vehicle should have been launched alongside the RX350. These long waits are horrible...

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX