Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's the Carly Fiorina to this Donald Trump.
might be a perfect analogy. the new rx design is too loud with a big mouth and the roof is like a comb over.
Old 09-10-15, 11:18 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Pointless? Losing couple million and handing it to the competition is OK I guess. Look, I could care less on the design for the most part. I get it. However, by purposely eliminating your more conservative demographic Lexus essentially sent millions of dollars to the likes of Porsche, Audi and Mercedes. From a marketing & revenue stand point why would you do that? Especially when you could have built on the NX for one group while at the same time kept the RX for the very people that helped cement your name? Then build another that would be a true monster with V8TT down the line and so forth. Versatility is the name of the game. Now Lexus has pretty much one look across the board. Why do that? You want that front end or....that same one over there? Then you wonder how each will differentiate itself from each model. One guy spends 35k while another 65k and they both almost kook the same. Didn't Toyota learn this years ago when customer complained about this very same issue?
I won't be too worried about "losing a coupe of million". Lexus/Toyota know how to make cars, and more importantly, they know how to make money. Your concern about them losing out to the Germans because of the new RX design is not only premature, it also strikes me as naive. The new RX may be radical in design, but the corporate culture of Lexus/Toyota is still conservative to the core. I will not be surprised if they have done extensive market research which led to this decision. Let's wait for the market's reaction to the new RX. If the RX sells well, then Lexus/Toyota will be vindicated.
Old 09-10-15, 11:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
might be a perfect analogy. the new rx design is too loud with a big mouth and the roof is like a comb over.
Old 09-10-15, 11:33 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Some people commented about the spindle grill, especially its size. I actually love this design. It looks like a shield of armor, primarily the F-sport one. Kudos to Lexus for taking design risks. This is a sign of confidence.
Old 09-10-15, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Some people commented about the spindle grill, especially its size. I actually love this design. It looks like a shield of armor, primarily the F-sport one. Kudos to Lexus for taking design risks. This is a sign of confidence.
But you do admit that it was a risk, correct? And, in the auto business, that is the very definition of a risk......that some people aren't going to like it.
Old 09-10-15, 11:56 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But you do admit that it was a risk, correct? And, in the auto business, that is the very definition of a risk......that some people aren't going to like it.
Of course it is a risk. But taking no risk would have meant sticking to the same basic design that has sold well for years. The risk there is that your brand will ultimately be viewed as stale. It's a given that not everyone will like new designs, especially the people who are used to seeing the old one. That's par for the course. All automakers face that reality. I'm not really sure what your point is.
Old 09-10-15, 12:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The new RX F-Sport is the most attractive RX design ever
Old 09-10-15, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Of course it is a risk. But taking no risk would have meant sticking to the same basic design that has sold well for years. The risk there is that your brand will ultimately be viewed as stale. It's a given that not everyone will like new designs, especially the people who are used to seeing the old one. That's par for the course. All automakers face that reality. I'm not really sure what your point is.
The point is that it is sometimes better not to try and fix what is not necessarily broken.
Old 09-10-15, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The point is that it is sometimes better not to try and fix what is not necessarily broken.
Lexus has to take the risk or the RX becomes irrelevant. It needs to stand out good or bad with design compared to the competition which did not exist as much during previous designs.
Old 09-10-15, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I already think the MKX for 2016 looks like yesterday's design. The RX which I don't particularly find alll that attractive at least gives me a response.
Old 09-10-15, 12:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'll never look at the Murano and RX rooflines the same again.
Old 09-10-15, 01:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Changing design has nothing to do with fixing, broken or not, it's for freshness ......
Old 09-10-15, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I won't be too worried about "losing a coupe of million". Lexus/Toyota know how to make cars, and more importantly, they know how to make money. Your concern about them losing out to the Germans because of the new RX design is not only premature, it also strikes me as naive. The new RX may be radical in design, but the corporate culture of Lexus/Toyota is still conservative to the core. I will not be surprised if they have done extensive market research which led to this decision. Let's wait for the market's reaction to the new RX. If the RX sells well, then Lexus/Toyota will be vindicated.
they have nothing to be vindicated about, every single preview i have read so far wrote that it is good design and that RX looks good inside and out... Pretty much all of them hated previous RX.

Most aggressive new Lexus designs have been the most successful ones - first IS and then NX.

Rest assured that all future Lexus vehicles will follow that path... record sales and record profits in the history of brand have made sure of that.

As to nativity of some comments - what surprises me is that some people making such comments have been following the auto industry for a long time now yet are still thinking their own personal opinions mirror the worlds. For instance, I never liked any previous RX and still I did not think that Lexus will lose buyers because I personally didnt like it.

There are many industry publications one can read today to see what is going on in the auto industry, who is making money, who is hot, and who is having problems. So there is really no need to use personal opinions instead of the facts.
Old 09-10-15, 03:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Most aggressive new Lexus designs have been the most successful ones - first IS and then NX.
New IS hasn't matched the sales peaks that the 2nd gen IS hit. The IS has actually lost marketshare, while the C-Class has nearly doubled its market share during that same period. 2006 vs 2015 year to date.

There are some facts, not opinions.
Old 09-10-15, 03:32 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
New IS hasn't matched the sales peaks that the 2nd gen IS hit. The IS has actually lost marketshare, while the C-Class has nearly doubled its market share during that same period. 2006 vs 2015 year to date.

There are some facts, not opinions.
A fact is also that IS hade the worst engine options on the market until today. The 250 engine and its gearbox was not among the better ones when I bought one back in 2006, and totally unmarketable the last 5 years. The hybrid alone is not enough and the 350 is not an option for many markets. I would say that the main reason that IS still sells "OK" is the superb design !

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX