Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 03:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Another thing that German media report is consumption of 5.2l vs previous 6.4l... this is 125g co2/100km, which is really good and it will help get it priced lower in many countries.
Old 09-09-15, 07:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The deal here really isn't a floating roof. By all efforts, that doesn't seem to be Lexus's intent. The styling achieved here is a roof panel that kicks so far down, it nearly meets the top of the shoulder. All thoughts of a floating roof are thrown out the door with the two structures almost meeting and only being separated by a few inches. You can't really have a floating roof when it almost touches the mid-section of the vehicle. It's just an (over)styling feature of the side profile.
I think in sketches and in some of the preliminary drawings it works VERY well and actually looks cool! However something was lost once converted to metal.

And to be honest, I really dont consider these floating roofs because the A and C pillars are not blacked out like they are on Range Rovers. Its all just other companies interpretation of the Jaguar XJ's blacked out rear C pillar and NONE of them look as good as the Jag's (they did it to fool they eye into thinking it isnt as massively long as it is).

Overall, I dont think its a terrible design, I just think a couple other competitors look better.
Old 09-09-15, 08:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LexusEnthusiast had great post about all the options:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/09/...-450h-preview/

Lots of great info there like ultra-wide color HUD being 9.4" wide, which is pretty damn huge. Or the pano roof behaving like moonroof at the front, climate concierge from the LS, rear seating position and space similar to LS, g-sensor and torque distribution sensor at front instrument panel, F-Sport having 8" LCD panel for instruments, etc, etc.

Customize settings is very useful and was sorely missed before as every Lexus driver knows... now you can have Eco climate, and normal transmission setting together with sport suspension.
Quite interesting. Setting up ECO climate with all Power/Sport settings probably should give more kick. Or setting up ECO powertrain with SPORT suspension and NORMAL climate should be a nice alternative to plain ECO mode
Old 09-09-15, 09:41 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is, finally the shifter is in the proper location. I like that it is a larger NX, I am surprised that they did not go with the moniker NX XL.
Old 09-09-15, 09:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I am surprised that they did not go with the moniker NX XL.
Really? Is this a serious comment? Give up all of the equity they've built in RX?
Old 09-09-15, 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Which exterior styling do you guys like better: this 2016 RX or Acura's MDX?
RX for me

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... i have read 4-5 previews and they all liked the looks, while they previously did not. So it sure seems like a huge hit for Lexus.

First RX i would consider, probably moved to my fav lexus right away.
I was going to get the NX after my GS lease is up, but I'm starting to rethink about this RX (like you, my first time ever interested in getting one)
Old 09-09-15, 10:40 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Report: All-New Lexus RX will not be Offered as Three-Row Crossover

This is kind of a bummer because my wife really wants a 3 row crossover. It's looking like the MDX is more of an option at this point.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/09/...row-crossover/

Lexus RX chief engineer Takayuki Katsuda explains that while there is considerable dealer demand for a seven-seat crossover, it won’t be an RX with an extra row — from Australian website Car Advice:
“It’s depending on the market demand, and also as you say it is a fact that many of voices have requested us to do a seven-seater,” Katsuda said.
“But at this moment we have no schedule or I cannot say anything about a future project issue,” he said. “But such kind of request, and the voice is there. That is a fact.”
“But from the design, or technical design view point, it is, in principal, impossible because the third row seat makes the C-pillar or D-pillar areas have to be a little bit bulky, bulky or square,” he said.
This would suggest that should a three-row Lexus crossover come to market, it would be an all-new model — of course, this doesn’t explain the mysterious RX prototype spotted with its rear panels covered with camouflage.
One more interesting quote from the Car Advice story:
“We are not a practical brand – of course practicality of the car is needed, but practical image is not suiting for the Lexus, that is Toyota’s role,” Katsuda said.
Old 09-09-15, 10:48 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Which exterior styling do you guys like better: this 2016 RX or Acura's MDX?
I prefer the RX but it looks like the MDX will offer alot more for a cheaper price. Plus the MDX is a 3 row cross over while the RX has less space.
Old 09-09-15, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Some nice details but the side profile is hideous.

agreed. took a swag at making a version without the gratuitous/ugly side 'swoosh', softened wheel arch creases and shortened the front end (looks more gx like):

Old 09-09-15, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Or but there will be a 7 seater, it just won't be the RX. It will be a GX replacement.
Old 09-09-15, 12:39 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Really? Is this a serious comment? Give up all of the equity they've built in RX?
My sarcasm isn't noticeable.
Old 09-09-15, 12:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Are they trying to compete with Acura in the overhang department? Unpainted wheel arches on a vehicle this expensive? The 2016 Prius will get the next generation hybrid drivetrain, but Lexus' bread and butter uses the same system from 2009? At least the interior is an upgrade from the odd-looking 3RX.
Old 09-09-15, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Unpainted wheel arches on a vehicle this expensive?

Expensive or not, unpainted vinyl body-cladding along the bottom edge and in the wheel arches is more or less a design-norm with many SUVs designed for use in bad weather.....it helps protect the lower-body from damage from salt and road-debris.
Old 09-09-15, 02:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice work that looks much better. Now if they would tone down the details on the beak it would be a very handsome vehicle.
Old 09-09-15, 03:31 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like everybody here hates the new RX. I on the other hand love it. It looks so badass First Rx i would seriously consider owning even though i'm not into SUVs.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX