Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 08:16 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is that AVS?
Yes, but with magneride:

The key functional feature in the RX F-Sport package (now available on the hybrid) is Adaptive Variable Suspension with magnetorheological shocks. Ride height drops from 8.2 to 7.5 inches.

Wonder if they finally licensed it? This is definitely good news if this is its first application, although surprised the refreshed GS didnt get it.
Old 09-08-15, 08:16 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2016 RX is the most hideous looking vehicle since the Pontiac Azteca.
Old 09-08-15, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The spindle grill is polarizing, it works on some models, it is more prominent on others. Beats boring and bland. I remember one moderator / senior poster here that used to call BMW's kidney grill design the pig's snout.

Honestly, everyone said the NX's grill was atrocious, once it got released and people saw it in person, it is more acceptable. The same happened with the GS and the 3IS.
And add it when you see the NX among other cars, it becomes accepted. Not great when at the Lexus dealer, but when when in public and out among other cars
Old 09-08-15, 08:43 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think soccer moms will think "it looks so cool and sporty" and it will sell well.
A few people will feel embarrassed to be seen driving it.

as with any initially ugly car, the more you see it, the more it grows on you.

I wouldn't buy it though. I prefer the Jag F-pace styling. Just wish it had toyota reliability.

On a positive note, the new RX does look better than the Bent-uglay.

It's interesting that lexus used to be all about soft curves with feminine design, and now mercedes is doing that.

I hope this is the last generation they'll ever use the remote mouse in.

Last edited by pman6; 09-08-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
as with any initially ugly car, the more you see it, the more it grows on you.
Spindle grilles, though, have never grown on me. I thought the first ones were on the ugly side....and still do several years later. Same with the Acura parrot-beaks and oversized Audi grilles.

It's interesting that lexus used to be all about soft curves with feminine design, and now mercedes is doing that.
What's "feminine" about soft body curves? Some of the most macho cars in the industry have them.
Old 09-08-15, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

...there was a time when almost everyone said that Toyota and Lexus was boring. You can't say that now? Either wa[y] it gets a response.
they didn't have to go from boring to frightening.
Old 09-08-15, 09:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
The 2016 RX is the most hideous looking vehicle since the Pontiac Azteca.
And then in the 2016 Prius thread, you can write:

The 2016 Prius is the most hideous looking vehicle since the Lexus RX
Old 09-08-15, 10:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Some nice details but the side profile is hideous. Someone please fire the people responsible for the extremely exaggerated styling, just stop doing this Lexus.
Originally Posted by KevinGS
Styling? Oh yes, it certainly redefines the segment, but not in a way that many will appreciate. Maybe we just asked Lexus for too much.
Redefines in the same way the Hindenburg did with airships.

Last edited by LeX2K; 09-08-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 11:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The deal here really isn't a floating roof. By all efforts, that doesn't seem to be Lexus's intent. The styling achieved here is a roof panel that kicks so far down, it nearly meets the top of the shoulder. All thoughts of a floating roof are thrown out the door with the two structures almost meeting and only being separated by a few inches. You can't really have a floating roof when it almost touches the mid-section of the vehicle. It's just an (over)styling feature of the side profile.
Old 09-08-15, 11:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Very stoked to see what customizations are possible
Old 09-08-15, 11:58 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dislike the Lexus logo proximity sensor for the rear hatch. It is like they didn't want to do the foot sensor for the sake of being different and now they end up with something that is less effective. It is much easier to wave your foot when your hands are full then to use an elbow. Also, what about closing with your hands full? You still have to use your finger to push the button when you could use your leg.
Funny you should bring this up because this exact same thought crossed my mind while perusing the Mercedes showroom SUV's. On all three the automatic rear hatch button was HIGH on the tailgate door. The largest I believe was the GL550, 450(?)and there was NO WAY my wife would have been able to hit that button when the door was all the way extended. I'm 5'10" and I was at 90% full reach hitting that button. Same with the middle model. The baby suv was manageable. I looked without luck for an additional button down lower on the inside frame of the tailgate and there was none.
Old 09-09-15, 01:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at new Prius profile we can tell that Lexus and Toyota designers are still the same people no matter how much they try to sell us the notion of separation.
Old 09-09-15, 03:10 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The deal here really isn't a floating roof. By all efforts, that doesn't seem to be Lexus's intent. The styling achieved here is a roof panel that kicks so far down, it nearly meets the top of the shoulder. All thoughts of a floating roof are thrown out the door with the two structures almost meeting and only being separated by a few inches. You can't really have a floating roof when it almost touches the mid-section of the vehicle. It's just an (over)styling feature of the side profile.

maybe if they put a "real" floating roof, they could actually put a decent sized window between the c and d pillars, instead of the biscuit sized one there now.

Old 09-09-15, 03:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I disagree on the styling, there was a time when almost everyone said that Toyota and Lexus was boring. You can't say that now? Either was it gets a response. I didn't get it at first, but after seeing how dull and sedated the MKX was in person, I can see why a response is warranted.

yep... and best thing is that they all love the interior - usually critical German media, loved the interior... AutoMotorundSport called it "feels at home at the golf club, between Range Rover and S-class", and "proper Yacht interior".

Besides, when it comes to exterior styling, it is clear this works... NX is a huge hit and Lexus has its highest sales in the history.
Old 09-09-15, 03:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Very stoked to see what customizations are possible
LexusEnthusiast had great post about all the options:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/09/...-450h-preview/

Lots of great info there like ultra-wide color HUD being 9.4" wide, which is pretty damn huge. Or the pano roof behaving like moonroof at the front, climate concierge from the LS, rear seating position and space similar to LS, g-sensor and torque distribution sensor at front instrument panel, F-Sport having 8" LCD panel for instruments, etc, etc.

Customize settings is very useful and was sorely missed before as every Lexus driver knows... now you can have Eco climate, and normal transmission setting together with sport suspension.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX