Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Is the f-sport the first application of the magnetorheological shocks?! If so, hopefully it'll trickle to other vehicles soon!
Is that AVS?
Old 09-08-15, 06:02 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
will be interesting to see how female buyers (who i would bet drive 80% of rx purchases) respond.

fixed for you.
Meh, MB uses a foot sensor too now. I dont think there is a patent on it
Old 09-08-15, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
No, Lexus has had AVS for a while.... not quite the same as the Cadillac system. i think it debuted for Lexus on the ES in the 1997 time frame.
Correct. Lexus did introduce a variable-damping system on the 1997 ES. The first GM Magna-Ride system was used on the 2002 Cadillac STS. But Infiniti beat them both with an active-suspension Q45a in 1991, though the system was less-sophisticated than on either the Lexus or Cadillac. There were few takers, BTW, on the Q45a.
Old 09-08-15, 06:08 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is that AVS?
AVS on steroid. Magnetic damping technology using a special magnetic fluid and electromagnets. First perfected by GM's Delphi for automotive applications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid
Old 09-08-15, 06:19 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which exterior styling do you guys like better: this 2016 RX or Acura's MDX?
Old 09-08-15, 06:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX continues to be a large 2-row crossover that's high on value and comfort. 2016 brings a complete redesign with polarizing looks and serious updates on the interior.

With a far more aggressive exterior, technology packed interior and better mechanics, the 2016 Lexus RX has been upgraded enough to remain relevant while not deviating from its winning formula.

The fourth generation Lexus RX is an eye-catching piece of automotive design, but it only got to this point because the boss said it wasn't considered edgy enough.

Quick impressions of the 2016 Lexus RX 350 and RX 50h press drive in Portland, OR.

Since 1999, the Lexus RX has dominated the luxury crossover SUV field. But with the competition at their heels, Lexus decided to spice things up with the RX's 2016 redesign.
Old 09-08-15, 07:22 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG! Lexus, I'm sorry we all asked you to take chances with future designs, because now it's getting out of hand.

That grill is atrociously large, the overhang laughable and the profile filled with creases. I think the NXt is going to sell a ton, but this one? The rear end is the best part of the whole vehicle. Interior is nice too.

It just doesn't flow well, with that relatively soft rear end, and such an aggressive-looking front end....and the profile doing its best to connect the two, but it fails.

We need some refreshed designs and toned-down grills quick, because this is just getting out of hand now. It's almost as if they're designing around the grill, trying to make it all work....to no avail.

Last edited by KevinGS; 09-08-15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So, Lexus is saying that this new RX redefines segment with Style, Ride Comfort, and Luxury Unility. Can we agree with that?
Old 09-08-15, 07:33 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, Lexus is saying that this new RX redefines segment with Style, Ride Comfort, and Luxury Unility. Can we agree with that?
Ride comfort? Likely.

Luxury utility? That's a stretch, with so many luxury crossovers flowing into the market these days.

Styling? Oh yes, it certainly redefines the segment, but not in a way that many will appreciate. Maybe we just asked Lexus for too much.
Old 09-08-15, 07:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I like the NX but this RX is just .

Reminds me of this beauty.

Old 09-08-15, 07:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Meh, MB uses a foot sensor too now. I dont think there is a patent on it

I read somewhere that Ford developed the Escape's foot-sensor tailgate opener in cooperation with an independent supplier. As the original technology partner, Ford got to use the technology first, for a few years, after which the supplier could sell to other auto manufacturers.

There are now other automakers using a similar system (including GM and Hyundai), some of which were available at the same time that Ford's technology came out (Mercedes-Benz), so there is likely more than one supplier producing this. Each is probably a little different from the others, which allows each supplier to patent their version of it.

If an automaker wants the system, they can go shopping to the various suppliers tht offer it.
Old 09-08-15, 07:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Ride comfort? Likely.

Luxury utility? That's a stretch, with so many luxury crossovers flowing into the market these days.

Styling? Oh yes, it certainly redefines the segment, but not in a way that many will appreciate. Maybe we just asked Lexus for too much.
I disagree on the styling, there was a time when almost everyone said that Toyota and Lexus was boring. You can't say that now? Either was it gets a response. I didn't get it at first, but after seeing how dull and sedated the MKX was in person, I can see why a response is warranted.
Old 09-08-15, 07:59 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree on the styling, there was a time when almost everyone said that Toyota and Lexus was boring. You can't say that now? Either was it gets a response. I didn't get it at first, but after seeing how dull and sedated the MKX was in person, I can see why a response is warranted.
The spindle grill is polarizing, it works on some models, it is more prominent on others. Beats boring and bland. I remember one moderator / senior poster here that used to call BMW's kidney grill design the pig's snout.

Honestly, everyone said the NX's grill was atrocious, once it got released and people saw it in person, it is more acceptable. The same happened with the GS and the 3IS.
Old 09-08-15, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
OMG! Lexus, I'm sorry we all asked you to take chances with future designs, because now it's getting out of hand.

That grill is atrociously large, the overhang laughable and the profile filled with creases. I think the NXt is going to sell a ton, but this one? The rear end is the best part of the whole vehicle. Interior is nice too.

It just doesn't flow well, with that relatively soft rear end, and such an aggressive-looking front end....and the profile doing its best to connect the two, but it fails.

We need some refreshed designs and toned-down grills quick, because this is just getting out of hand now. It's almost as if they're designing around the grill, trying to make it all work....to no avail.
Good analysis, Kevin. I'm pretty much on the same page as you. The people in the styling department have clearly overdone it.
Old 09-08-15, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

there was a time when almost everyone said that Toyota and Lexus was boring.

....boring or not, it sold.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX