Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've seen a few out on the road already. It looks premium and inoffensive; there's plenty of people out there looking for just that.
+1

Lincoln dealers can't keep many of them in stock, although the top-line 60K versions like the one I reviewed may take some time to sell.

Originally Posted by rxonmymmind
Sigh. Too bladed for me. Looks like something out of a Yu-gi-oh hairstyle cartoon. It'll sell no doubt but I'll have to pass and perhaps that's a blessing. Phew.
Again, +1.

I agree.....way too many blades, angles and creases.
Old 09-08-15, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
will be interesting to see how female buyers (who i would bet drive 80% of rx purchases) respond.

You're a little, but not very far off. According to Forbes magazine, 66% are female, 78% are married, and the median age is 55.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/05/car...positesex.html

If you are looking for love, you may want to steer clear of women driving sport-utility vehicles. Mike Michels, a Lexus/ Toyota spokesman, says 66% of the RX 350 SUV buyers are female, and 78% are married. Their median age is 55 and they have a median income of $141,000. About 25% of female buyers have children under age 18, suggesting that many are empty-nesters.
(Of course, that doesn't cover the RX hybrid models)
Old 09-08-15, 12:37 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shouldn't have been one to start with. The whole idea of embargoes is nonsense.
Absolutely. i don't understand how is this still a thing.

As far as the floating roof goes Nissan pulled it of first, just like that Chinese company is going to be the first to pull off LF-LC taillights. It's Lexus fault they give out ideas to the others without actually pulling the trigger before everyone else.
Old 09-08-15, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
What don't you understand?
Old 09-08-15, 01:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shouldn't have been one to start with. The whole idea of embargoes is nonsense.
Originally Posted by Vladi

It's not nonsense. Automakers can't fit every single journalist into one wave of the product demonstrations. So there are multiple waves that can generally take several weeks to complete. They want to give each media outlet a fair shot at getting their articles published with good readership, and so the ones that go on the first waves need to wait until the other journalists have had their opportunity to drive the vehicle and write up their reports. They can all publish on the same day/time.
Old 09-08-15, 02:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not nonsense. Automakers can't fit every single journalist into one wave of the product demonstrations. So there are multiple waves that can generally take several weeks to complete. They want to give each media outlet a fair shot at getting their articles published with good readership, and so the ones that go on the first waves need to wait until the other journalists have had their opportunity to drive the vehicle and write up their reports. They can all publish on the same day/time.
Not just that, but Toyota or Lexus would like to protect the launch of the vehicle, this is essential PR to them and it is very important. Also, the existing model of cars needs to sell as well.
Old 09-08-15, 02:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

And, it's their new model and their responsibility for a successful launch and roll out. They will do what they feel is best for their brand/model.
Old 09-08-15, 03:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it looks like a giant IS i guess.
nope, the RX headlights look waaaaaaaaaaay better IMO.

I like the overall aggressive design but..................... the upper rear quarter floating roof thing is f'd up IMO...rear visibility sucks I bet!!!!!

not to mention the gargantuan front hangover...lordy!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 09-08-15 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 03:04 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
nope, the RX headlights look waaaaaaaaaaay better IMO.

but the upper quarter rear is f'd up...visibility sucks I bet!!!!!
I drove it at the same event, I didn't feel the rear visibility was too bad... you can see a bit of the visible area here in these pictures. I felt the viewing area was a bit bigger than expected to the rear corners.

Old 09-08-15, 03:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove it at the same event, I didn't feel the rear visibility was too bad... you can see a bit of the visible area here in these pictures. I felt the viewing area was a bit bigger than expected to the rear corners.
you must be comparing the rear visibility to a Camaro j/k
Old 09-08-15, 03:21 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
you must be comparing the rear visibility to a Camaro j/k
Haha, it's way better than the FJ Cruiser! That's like driving with a football helmet on...
Old 09-08-15, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which is fine and I don't doubt that. But Lincoln needs to make a statement and perhaps a bold one and the MKX does not do it. The RX on the other hand will generate a response for or against and that is what it's all about. It will turn some heads.
bmw's x3/x5, mercedes ml/gl/gle/glc/glk, audi a3/a5 don't need to 'make a statement'. and turning heads isn't always a good thing.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not just that, but Toyota or Lexus would like to protect the launch of the vehicle, this is essential PR to them and it is very important. Also, the existing model of cars needs to sell as well.
disagree with both of you. 'traditional' PR and 'press' is now IRRELEVANT. do you really think car mag coverage (or even USA Today) of the *RX* is going to make ANY difference to sales? me either. lexus would be better served keeping the car under wraps, then just putting out a bunch of youtube videos, images and blog posts to launch and explain the car and get the press to link those. much cheaper too. if the press wants to drive it, fine, use one of their regional events and have a press day.

of course that's just my opinion.
Old 09-08-15, 05:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, I love it! Much more masculine.

It looks like the NX concept with all the aggressive lines and creases (and what should've been production-wise).

Can't wait to test drive one.
yep... i have read 4-5 previews and they all liked the looks, while they previously did not. So it sure seems like a huge hit for Lexus.

First RX i would consider, probably moved to my fav lexus right away.
Old 09-08-15, 05:48 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Is the f-sport the first application of the magnetorheological shocks?! If so, hopefully it'll trickle to other vehicles soon!
Old 09-08-15, 05:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ST430
Is the f-sport the first application of the magnetorheological shocks?! If so, hopefully it'll trickle to other vehicles soon!
No, Lexus has had AVS for a while.... not quite the same as the Cadillac system. i think it debuted for Lexus on the ES in the 1997 time frame.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX