Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports 'worst cars of 2015'

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 05:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Default Consumer Reports 'worst cars of 2015'

Consumer Reports, known for its independence when it come to auto reviews, has singled out four car models as representing the worst of the lot for 2015.

One is a familiar car, two are luxury crossovers and the last is a minivan that's also known as a SUV. They are singled out in the magazine's October issue. If nothing else, the picks show how the auto market has blended genres.

The magazine buys all the cars it tests, as opposed to virtually all other publications and websites, which borrow them from automakers. The goal is to buy the same vehicle that any consumers would get on their own at a dealership.

Here are the four at the bottom of the car barrel:

•Chrysler 200. It's now dead last among its midsize car rankings. When it was introduced, the new 200 was considered a vast improvement over the one it replaced.

But Consumer Reports disliked its "raspy" four-cylinder engine, balky transmission and "klutzy" handling. The cramped rear seat is something only a submariner could appreciate, the magazine writes.

•Land Rover Discovery Sport. The SUV has a "flat footed" engine and a transmission that's unrefined. Handling is "lumbering," and the entertainment system seems to be from another age.

•Lexus NX 200t/300h. The new compact SUV edition form the Lexus line seems too much to Consumer Reports like the Toyota RAV4, especially the "jostling" ride. Some components feel cheap, and overall it falls short of German competitors.

•Kia Sedona. This minivan was made to look like a SUV, but the ride isn't supple and there are squeaks and rattles. Steering is "vague."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...2015/71526260/
Old 09-02-15, 05:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Proving imo that it has no credibility, cr considers the lexus nx one of a group of 4 worst cars of 2015? ABSURD.
Old 09-02-15, 05:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sad to see the 200 get bad press like that, but that's a competitive segment. That ZF 9HP has been receiving continuous updates but still isn't where it should be, whether that be in the Chrysler products, Acura, or Land Rover.
Old 09-02-15, 05:33 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Consumer Reports, known for its independence when it come to auto reviews, has singled out four car models as representing the worst of the lot for 2015.

One is a familiar car, two are luxury crossovers and the last is a minivan that's also known as a SUV. They are singled out in the magazine's October issue. If nothing else, the picks show how the auto market has blended genres.

The magazine buys all the cars it tests, as opposed to virtually all other publications and websites, which borrow them from automakers. The goal is to buy the same vehicle that any consumers would get on their own at a dealership.

Here are the four at the bottom of the car barrel:

•Chrysler 200. It's now dead last among its midsize car rankings. When it was introduced, the new 200 was considered a vast improvement over the one it replaced.

But Consumer Reports disliked its "raspy" four-cylinder engine, balky transmission and "klutzy" handling. The cramped rear seat is something only a submariner could appreciate, the magazine writes.

•Land Rover Discovery Sport. The SUV has a "flat footed" engine and a transmission that's unrefined. Handling is "lumbering," and the entertainment system seems to be from another age.

•Lexus NX 200t/300h. The new compact SUV edition form the Lexus line seems too much to Consumer Reports like the Toyota RAV4, especially the "jostling" ride. Some components feel cheap, and overall it falls short of German competitors.

•Kia Sedona. This minivan was made to look like a SUV, but the ride isn't supple and there are squeaks and rattles. Steering is "vague."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...2015/71526260/
There is a divergence between the opinions of CR writers and the results of CR's own reliability survey. This happened with the Lexus IS, which CR's reviewers panned. Yet the reliability survey which summarizes the input of thousands of CR subscribers hailed the IS as the most reliable luxury car of 2015. Go figure. I'd rather put more weight on the experience of thousands of actual car owners than the opinions of a handful of editorialists.

Last edited by gyrase321; 09-02-15 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 05:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
There is a divergence between the opinions of CR writers and the results of CR's own reliability survey. This happened with the Lexus IS, which CR's reviewers panned. Yet the reliability survey which summarizes the input of thousands of CR subscribers hailed the IS as the most reliable luxury car of 2015. Go figure. I'd rather put more weight on the experience of thousands of actual car owners than the opinions of a handful of editorialists.
To be fair, this report wasn't solely talking about reliability.
Old 09-02-15, 05:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
To be fair, this report wasn't solely talking about reliability.
+1. CR's issue was from their Road Test of the IS250. They said "the IS350 is a much better choice".
Old 09-02-15, 06:21 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

CR is a great publication primarily because of its broad database of subscribers and the statistical methodology it employs when analyzing its surveys of those subscribers. That's where CR shines. Where I take issue with CR is when the opinions of reviewers supplant the findings of its own surveys. People who read CR should therefore be attentive to what they are reading: are they looking at the statistically validated results of the surveys, or are they looking at the opinions of a few CR reviewers? Those are two entirely different things.
Old 09-02-15, 06:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know, I think they are right on the money with NX. It does feel like glorified RAV4 on the outside while on the inside is mmmmm like RAV4? It even smells the same. It took me few minutes inside to see what they tried to achieve with NX and they did achieve that.
Old 09-02-15, 06:33 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Lexus NX 200t/300h. The new compact SUV edition form the Lexus line seems too much to Consumer Reports like the Toyota RAV4, especially the "jostling" ride. Some components feel cheap, and overall it falls short of German competitors.
The above statement is too subjective to be given any credibility. "Jostling ride"? "Components feel cheap"? How do you quantify a "jostling ride"? What does "feel cheap" mean? How many people had the same sensation while driving the NX? How many NXs were actually tested? Did they all have a "jostling ride"? Where were they driven? These are the questions that a scientifically valid review ought to answer. If it was one reviewer testing one NX, and that reviewer then generalized his experience to the entire NX model line, that right there is the fallacy of false generalization.
Old 09-02-15, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i haven't reviewed the Discovery Sport, so I can't really comment on it outside of the (usual) low reliability of Land Rover products. But I've done full reviews on the other three (albeit, on the 200, with a V6 instead of the four that CR had). I thought the 200's rotary transmission **** was a gimmick, but was otherwise quite impressed with it....wouldn't mind owning one myself. On the NX, I do agree that it suffers a little in the ride and interior-quality departments, and that Lexus could have done it better, but is certainly not deserving of a bottom-of-the-barrel ranking. And I also found the Sedona I reviewed (top-line version with a lot of equipment) to be impressive, quite comfortable, and without the rattles and squeaks they mentioned.

I noticed that these products are either all-new or major redesigns. Perhaps that is what CR meant......not the best (or worst) of ALL vehicles, but simply the best or worst of the new or redesigned products for this last year .
Old 09-02-15, 07:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Proving imo that it has no credibility, cr considers the lexus nx one of a group of 4 worst cars of 2015? ABSURD.
Well--I thought the same thing when the new Lexus IS came out, since the engine and drivetrain didn't change much from the prior generation, which was always a top pick in the small lux sedan category. I think that the "Worst Cars of 2015" is mislabeled. It should be "The Most Disappointing New Cars in 2015". I haven't driven the NX, but I can't imagine it's "bad"; but if it's not really an upgrade from a RAV4, it would certainly be a major disappointment.
Old 09-02-15, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think that the "Worst Cars of 2015" is mislabeled. It should be "The Most Disappointing New Cars in 2015".
Agreed. That seems to be the only reasonable conclusion one can make of it.
Old 09-02-15, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think that the "Worst Cars of 2015" is mislabeled. It should be "The Most Disappointing New Cars in 2015". I haven't driven the NX, but I can't imagine it's "bad"; but if it's not really an upgrade from a RAV4, it would certainly be a major disappointment.
yes but that headline wouldn't get the clicks.
Old 09-02-15, 07:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, I don't get the NX200t being on that list....especially after I read their full review....

Road Test
The Lexus recipe for success: Hide the Toyota mass-market roots under the Lexus logo by filling a car with amenities and luxury trappings, a more supple ride, and a quiet, soothing cabin. Even a pro can't sniff out the Camry beneath an ES sedan. But with the new, compact NX, the souffle falls. The car doesn't coddle you like the wildly successful Lexus RX -- the midsized crossover vehicle that started the whole craze. Nor does it thrill you with BMW-like handling. It just feels like an upmarket Toyota RAV4.

With a snout borrowed from a large-mouth bass and a body with more creases than a churro pastry, the NX is the most un-Lexus Lexus we've tested. From a brand that made its bones building vanilla-mobiles, the NX is a swing in the other direction.

But it's not convincing, and much of that has to do with its RAV4 underpinnings. Nothing against Toyota's super-popular small SUV, but luxury is not in its DNA.

The NX's looks promise derring-do performance, and its handling is indeed sharp. It's responsive compared with a typical Lexus, but handling and braking are a notch below competitors from BMW and Audi. And the NX doesn't deliver the quiet, calm, and serene ride you expect from a Lexus. Instead, it's as firm and controlled as an IRS audit. The performance doesn't match the looks -- like when a peach-fuzz sibling borrows his big brother's leather jacket, the appearance isn't quite right.

Inside the cabin, the NX once again falls short of Lexus standards. You're not cosseted with parlor-room luxury. Many parts and panels look and feel cheap, costing the NX points for fit and finish. The bolstered seats are supportive, but lumbar-support adjustment is limited. The rear is adequate for two. The cargo area is also quite limited, making us question the "utility" part of this SUV.

The very tight driving position is made worse by claustrophobically small windows. Sure, they look cool from the outside, but that means poor visibility from the driver's seat. A rear camera is standard, and you'll also want the blind-spot monitoring system.

The 200t marks Toyota's foray into turbocharged four-cylinder engines; the German brands have used them for a while. The 235-hp four-cylinder delivered 24 mpg in our tests; it accelerated to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds, both good numbers The NX is also offered as a hybrid, with a total output of 194 hp from its 2.5-liter four-cylinder-plus electric drive. It got the best fuel economy of any SUV we've tested -- an impressive 29 mpg overall. It can loaf in EV mode at low speeds.

Unfortunately, the 300h hybrid is weak when you need to accelerate; the engine annoyingly howls like 4-year-old denied a juice box. That stems from the nature of its continuously variable transmission (CVT), which holds engine revs, contributing to the interior racket.

The NX is saddled with a touchpad controller, included with the optional navigation system. But the user interface requires dexterous fingers to make selections -- not easy or intuitive when driving. The climate controls are packed together, and the radio's volume and tuning ***** hide beneath an overhanging ledge

Even though pricing starts at just under $35,000, option packages quickly extend the bill past $40,000. Green-minded buyers will have to pony up more for the hybrid model; our loaded version cost a dizzying $51,000. Still, a comparably equipped NX runs about $4,000 cheaper than a BMW X3 or an Audi Q5.

The small luxury SUV field is as crowded as the motor-vehicle department after a long holiday, with more than a dozen legitimate contenders. But buyers expecting a proper small SUV from Lexus will be disappointed.

The Driving Experience
Handling: The NX handles quite nimbly. It's willing and able to change directions eagerly, and turn-in response is prompt. Through all maneuvers, the body stays rather flat and unperturbed. But that doesn't make the Lexus as rewarding to drive as a BMW X3 or Audi Q5. Those German competitors have more controlled suspensions and sharper steering.

On the track the NX achieved a modest speed of around 50 mph as the fast acting stability control kicked in early to keep the NX on course. Pronounced understeer was its default mode which made it feel secure and predictable. On the track, it was steady but devoid of any sporty character or enjoyment.

Powertrain: The 200t comes with Lexus's first four-cylinder turbo -- a well-integrated 245-hp, 2.0-liter engine that delivers a linear power delivery that's for the most part, smooth and refined. It does an admirable job, so long as you don't expect a lush and creamy V6 experience. We measured a commendable 24 mpg overall.

With the hybrid, things are less pleasant. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and electric motor, mated to a CVT, is virtually the same setup as in the Toyota Camry hybrid and Lexus ES 300h. However, it feels strained in this heavier AWD SUV. The CVT makes climbing hills a noisy, unpleasant affair. Acceleration from 0-60 mph is a leisurely 9 seconds -- somewhat at odds with the NX's sporty styling and ride, and its steep $51,000 price tag.

That said, as long as there are no inclines the hybrid can drive on electric power alone at speeds up to around 35 mph. But the 300h's trump card is its fuel consumption: at 29 mpg overall it is the most fuel efficient luxury SUV we've ever tested.

Off road: The NX is not intended for off-roading whatsoever.

Ride comfort: The NX's ride is firm, but not over-the-top punishing. Ride motions tend to be short and quick, and impacts are fairly pronounced but not to the point of being overly stiff. Ride comfort is roughly on par with the NX's German competitors. But don't expect Lexus RX levels of plushness.

Noise: Both NXs fall short of expected Lexus qualities when it comes to hushed cabins. In fact the NX 300h is rather noisy. Powertrain differences are the main reason. The NX 200t's turbo four-cylinder/six-speed automatic pairing sounds relaxed and competitive for the class. However, the NX 300h's four-cylinder/CVT combination holds high revs and sounds intrusive at times as the powertrain digs up power.

Braking: Overall performance was on par for the most part. The only shortcoming was the hybrid in wet conditions, where it produced longer stops than we'd like to see. Neither model had very good brake pedal modulation. The 200t could use a bit more bite, and the 300h was a little grabby -- typical of a hybrid.

Headlights: You get LED low beams and halogen high beams standard. This combination provides very good visibility and is super bright. The optional full LED headlamps on our 300h reside behind stylish gem-like lenses. They are also bright, but deliver worse forward visibility. Both versions also suffer from a lack of overall light uniformity from both beams.

Inside The Cabin
Interior fit and finish: Forget about Lexus's traditionally cosseting, parlor-room luxury. The NX is surprisingly hard-edged, including its cabin. Protruding contours and a jumble of multiple panels give it a high-tech anime feel. Don't confuse that with austerity, however. After all, there are numerous padded surfaces and lines of decorative stitching providing relief from all of the blackness.

But too many parts are hard plastic, including multiple dash panels and the interior door latches. Worst, those parts look cheap, costing the NX our top score for fit and finish.

Driving position: Sitting behind the steering wheel feels tight. You're hemmed in by a tall, wide center console that protrudes into right knee space. Combine this with the small windows and the cabin can feel either a bit snug or claustrophobic (pick your poison). The short left foot rest means your toes might hit a panel above it.

Power adjustments for the tilt-and-telescope steering wheel are optional (standard on the hybrid); some drivers wanted to pull the wheel closer.

Visibility: Seeing out of the NX is difficult. All the windows are small, especially the short rear window, and the windowsills are high. Thick windshield and rear roof pillars block your view to the corners, especially out back. Thankfully, a rear camera is standard. We'd highly recommend getting the optional blind-spot monitoring system with its included cross-traffic alert.

Seat comfort: The front seats provide good support, aided by firm thigh and back bolsters and well-placed contour padding. Larger drivers will find them too narrow; the seats seem like a better fit for Lexus' F-Sport performance trim rather than being standard fare. (The F-Sport has even more aggressive seat bolsters.) Tall drivers wanted the seats to adjust lower. In addition, at this price the lumbar support should adjust for height, not just pressure, and the power passenger seat should offer more adjustments.

Rear-seat space, including leg and knee room, is adequate for adults but can't be called generous. Toe room under the front seats is tight. The low and flat seat cushion doesn't provide much thigh support for adults. Three grown-ups can fit side-to-side, helped by a flat floor that gives the center occupant some foot room, but they'll be squeezed in the shoulders. The center seat belt buckle overlaps into the outboard passenger's space, which can be annoying.

Access: Once you duck beneath the sloping windshield pillar, access is pretty easy. Large doors, chair-height seats, and a nearly flat sill all help. Getting in and out of the rear seat takes a little bit of ducking to avoid the sloping roof line, but there's good room behind the front seat to step in and out.

Gauges: The brightly backlit gauges are easy to read. A screen between the gauges shows information on fuel economy, trip mileage, and so forth. However, unlike many other luxury cars, you can't select and dial phone contacts through this screen.

Controls: Even the seemingly simple conventional ***** and buttons are a challenge to use. Climate controls are tightly packed together, and the radio's volume and tune ***** are tucked low on the dashboard, beneath an overhanging ledge.

Frustrations grow when you get to the touchpad controller, included with the optional navigation system. While many basic audio tasks can be performed with the conventional (if flawed) ***** and buttons, more complex operations require you to make selections from a high-mounted screen. We also didn't care for the system's default mode being on navigation. Eventually we figured out how to change that in the settings.

The problem isn't the screen design; it has large fonts and simple enough logic. Actually making selections is the challenge. Rather than simply tapping the screen, you're required to use the aforementioned console-mounted touchpad. Scroll your finger on the pad and an on-screen cursor follows, much like using a computer mouse, eventually landing on the desired on-screen "button." Tracking where the cursor is and moving it to the desired goal, takes a lot of time and attention. Precisely aiming and clicking the skittish controller is tricky, especially when driving on bumpy roads. Overall, this sort of design is best left for your office computer, not for driving.

NX's without navigation substitute a console-mounted **** for the touchpad controller. It is easier to use, but still requires a lot of scrolling through the various on-screen selections to perform desired functions.

Infotainment:

High points:
Conventional volume and tune *****, plus buttons for scrolling through presets
Supports full music library browsing when paired through Bluetooth streaming audio
Destination Assist -- part of the navigation system and bundled with Lexus' Enform service -- is the fastest and easiest way to enter address; you're actually connected to a live person

Low points:
Touch-pad haptic response (vibration) is something that you need to get used to
Interface is time-consuming and difficult to use when driving, especially on bumpy roads
Difficult to scroll through lists of songs or stations to make selections
Screen has mind of its own, often changing from what you were doing and defaulting to map screen (this can be shut off via settings)
Voice commands have restrictive structure
No ability to scroll through phone contacts through steering wheel controls
Navigation: Lexus' new-generation infotainment system comes with an SD card map and a small hard drive. The system itself doesn't stand out in any functional way other than a pinch-to-zoom feature on the touchpad -- a practice that most people are used to via their smartphones.

Connectivity: You get one USB port, an AUX input, and one SD card slot. The navigation package brings an additional USB port and enhanced Bluetooth capability. You can also get Qi-type wireless charging in the armrest.

Apps: The Enform Remote app is supported for unlock/lock, remote start and trace function along with the usual tracking service. One clever feature: You can get an alert sent to your smartphone if vehicle exceeds a preset speed or mileage limit -- handy if you lend your car out or have a teenage driver.

Climate features: Standard equipment across the NX line includes automatic dual-zone climate control. We also added the Premium package to our 200t, which brought heated and vented seats. The 300h was equipped with the optional Luxury package, which comes with all the above features and tacks on a heated steering wheel. One nice feature is that the seat heaters stay on even if you turned off the car for a short time.

Cabin storage: There is precious little open storage space in the NX. You get a small slot between the climate and audio controls, but it won't hold much more than a few gas receipts. The padded center armrest bin is fairly deep and comes with a removable coin tray. You'll also find the familiar map pockets in the doors and sleeves behind the front seatbacks. But the most curious design detail is the odd and tiny compartment just behind the wrist rest for the touch pad on the center console. It has a removable top that's magnetized and doubles as a mini vanity mirror. The compartment is about the width of an adult's hand and is awkwardly shaped -- you might have a tough time reaching whatever you've stashed under the fixed part. Lexus calls it a "sunglasses storage compartment," which clears up why there isn't one overhead (where you usually find them). And, yes, sunglasses do fit there nicely.

Cup holders: Front passengers enjoy two cup holders, nestled in the center console. Rear passengers share two cup holders in the center fold-down armrest. All four doors have built-in bottle holders.

Lights and visors: While the visors don't slide on their mounting rods, they do come with extenders for side coverage.

Cargo area: The optional power rear tailgate reveals a useful if rather shallow and well-finished cargo area.

Spare tire: The NX comes with a space-saving spare tire under the cargo floor.

Safety
Crash-test results: The NX earns a coveted Top Safety Pick Plus designation by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Crash-avoidance systems: Forward-collision warning, blind-spot warning, and rear cross-traffic alert are all optionally available.

Forward-collision warning: A radar-based system watches for cars ahead, alerting the driver both visually and audibly if approaching too fast, automatically braking when an imminent collision is detected. The visual alert is a large "BRAKE" message displayed in the center of the instrument panel. A driver-selectable setting lets you select what distance from the vehicle ahead -- far, middle, or near -- triggers the alert. The "far" setting provides a little extra time to respond.

Brake assist: It senses the speed and force with which the brake pedal is depressed to determine if the driver wants to make an emergency stop. It then instantly applies a greater braking force, possibly stopping you quicker than expected.

Blind-spot warning: This radar-based system illuminates an icon in the outside mirrors to warn that another vehicle is lurking next to you and hiding in your car's blind spot. The warning icon flashes if a car is there when you turn on the applicable turn signal, warning you not to change lanes.

Rear-cross traffic: Bundled with blind-spot warning, this warning system works when the vehicle is in reverse, scanning for cars approaching from each side. Think of backing out of a parking space or driveway and not being able to see a car coming perpendicularly down the parking lot or street. It gives you a visual alert using the blind spot warning icon along with a buzzing sound.

Driving with kids:
Infant seats: It is possible to install a narrow infant seat in an outboard seat without a locking clip, but in reality a locking clip will be needed for most seats, especially in the center position. The narrow center seat cushion makes the child seat overlap into the outboard seating position. Another aggravation: The center seat belt anchor comes out of the headliner and connects in the center of the left outboard rear seat, putting a lump in the backside of someone sitting there. This also affects how child seats fit there, because the long reach for the belt causes the seat to tip.

Forward-facing convertible: Easy to install in outboard seats, although the headrest may need to be removed. It takes a few tries to get a secure fit in the center seat, thanks to its narrow cushion and buckle positioning. When using the center seating position, the tether strap hooks to an overhead anchor; we had to twist the tether hook to get it to latch securely.

Boosters: Parents will need to help their preschoolers buckle up in all seating positions. With our booster, the seat buckle was behind the booster, making it difficult even for a parent to latch the seatbelt.

Using LATCH: The two rear outboard seating positions are equipped with clearly-labeled LATCH anchors. The lower anchor hooks are difficult to attach and release, because the anchors are recessed in the slit between the seatback and seat cushion. Outboard tether anchors are on the backside of the rear seatback where they are easy to access.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-04-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I do have to agree.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports 'worst cars of 2015'