Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What drives customers away more
Price
18.57%
Negotiation process
24.29%
Pressure from the Salesman
22.86%
Sneaky managers with hidden fees/services
34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-15, 01:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had good luck with most salespeople, but poor luck with the sales managers. Often things are going very well and positive with negotiations, then they bring in manager A to play hardball. Then manager B. Then manager C. This game goes on and on and diminishes the hard work of the original salesguy.

Also dislike the dealer add-ons. I can't believe people are dumb enough to buy $300 door edge guards that ruin the lines of their sleek, modern car. To add insult to injury, those useless pieces of garbage cost the dealer $10 to buy and install.

Lastly, any dealership that glues on their logo/emblem to the trunk is an automatic exit, stage left. How dare someone mare the pristine finish on my shiny new car with their own tacky ad?

While on topic, I've found the after-sale survey to be quite problematic. You are basically told after the sale to give them all "10's," or they don't get the full credit, or may even get in trouble. So this huge burden and guilt-trip is thrown on the customer to basically lie and give all tens so he/she does not get the salesperson in trouble. And what salesperson really deserves a 100% grade? I can't think of any. It's an unfair burden to the customer to rate the experience. I've given 8's and 9's in surveys, then gotten yelled at by the salesguy days later for not giving him tens. Too much drama. Let the dealership spend their own money researching how their own employees are doing. It's not the job of the customer. He/she just wants to buy a car, not rate a business for research purposes.
Old 09-12-15, 12:30 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+++++1000 on everything you said man
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've had good luck with most salespeople, but poor luck with the sales managers. Often things are going very well and positive with negotiations, then they bring in manager A to play hardball. Then manager B. Then manager C. This game goes on and on and diminishes the hard work of the original salesguy.

Also dislike the dealer add-ons. I can't believe people are dumb enough to buy $300 door edge guards that ruin the lines of their sleek, modern car. To add insult to injury, those useless pieces of garbage cost the dealer $10 to buy and install.

Lastly, any dealership that glues on their logo/emblem to the trunk is an automatic exit, stage left. How dare someone mare the pristine finish on my shiny new car with their own tacky ad?

While on topic, I've found the after-sale survey to be quite problematic. You are basically told after the sale to give them all "10's," or they don't get the full credit, or may even get in trouble. So this huge burden and guilt-trip is thrown on the customer to basically lie and give all tens so he/she does not get the salesperson in trouble. And what salesperson really deserves a 100% grade? I can't think of any. It's an unfair burden to the customer to rate the experience. I've given 8's and 9's in surveys, then gotten yelled at by the salesguy days later for not giving him tens. Too much drama. Let the dealership spend their own money researching how their own employees are doing. It's not the job of the customer. He/she just wants to buy a car, not rate a business for research purposes.
Old 09-12-15, 01:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
+++++1000 on everything you said man
There is ALWAYS room for improvement. Even the best of the best I have rated 9.
Old 09-12-15, 02:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
There is ALWAYS room for improvement. Even the best of the best I have rated 9.
Exactly. No human is perfect, not me or anyone else. Therefor, these customer surveys are unrealistic and should not expect to see a "ten" in every score or category.
Old 09-14-15, 06:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Felt this is appropriate for here. Hilarious, but major NSFW.

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc
Old 09-14-15, 09:23 PM
az989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mainly its cuz they almost always want you to finance the car. I wanted to pay in cash but they kept pressuring me into financing, didnt end up buying the car.
Old 09-15-15, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What turns you most away from a dealership?
Old 09-15-15, 07:20 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Poll : Its Price..

Yes, besides the managers that come in to "close the deal". What I dislike the most is dealer add-ons.. When I see this, I'm ready to walk back out lol.. Ex: The sunroof visor, the Scotch guard seat coating, the trim guards, the laser etched Vin on every window, and especially Pin stripes! Now, I won't mind any of these options but I would want a choice, this or that but what is most annoying and I particularly hate dealers who add all of the above to every car on their lot and add $799 or $999 extra on to the car.. I often said, "I like your car but don't want any add-ons", since they painted on every car with the same pin-stripe (I don't mind if I get to choose the color pin stripe) but every car that is light color gets a black stripe and every dark color car gets a Tan Stripe.. and you're forced to pay extra for what you don't want..

If they offered me a stripe pkg, in the color I want. I may opt for it depending on the car but DO NOT just Stripe every car on the lot and expect people to pay for it..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 09-15-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 05:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

thanks for sharing, I am all about the price.
If you're all about the price, then service is irrelevant and it's just a straight haggle.

But besides walking away, they really hold most of the cards and i've hated almost every car buying experience i've had. Best I ever had was a subaru when i brought in a printed spreadsheet and said this is what i'm paying. Guy goes to meet with his 'manager' comes back and says well obviously you did your homework but we have to charge $200 more for x (can't remember what it was for now) so i said split the diff (100 more) and we have a deal. They agreed.

Actually had one good lexus experience after a few horrible ones. The good one i did the whole deal without setting foot in the dealer (far away) until sales guy came to pick me up to take me to the dealer to get the car! No surprises. Awesome.
Old 09-16-15, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Added all of the above option to poll.
Old 09-16-15, 08:41 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Added all of the above option to poll.
Thanks. Although I kinds wanted to onow what is the major turn off!
Old 09-16-15, 09:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For me the part I dread the most is negotiating my trade value. Granted I can always sell it myself, but then I just hate negotiating the selling price...

I do lots of research ahead of time to know what my trade in value is, so I hate it when we begin negotiations with a huge disconnect.

The best experience I've ever had was with my RX. Went in ready to argue trade in value of my TSX. I had a number in my mind of what was fair. The first offer was above that! I got a great trade in value and struck a great deal off MSRP of the RX. That was the only time I have walked out of a dealership without encountering a single frustration. I bought my IS from the same dealer 4 days later. That one was a bit tougher to negotiate, but it was still good.
Old 09-16-15, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. Although I kinds wanted to onow what is the major turn off!
ok, i took it off.
Old 09-16-15, 12:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally hate negotiations and I can't stand when a salesperson starts to insult my intelligence by starting off with an overinflated number, then knocks off a big chunk and starts boasting about the "huge discount" I'm getting. I much rather just walk out than go through this nonsense.

On the last four vehicles that I bought I've done zero negotiations. I asked my salesman to give me a couple of reasonable options on the cars I was looking for and he did exactly that - we shook hands and signed the papers.
Old 09-16-15, 04:29 PM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very difficult for salespeople to "guess" what type of customer you are. Are you the one that wants no hassle-no haggle?What about the people who love to negotiate? Are you a person that likes to look around, or do you like to have someone there that can answer questions? The problem that sales people have is there are so many personalities, that no one approach can satisfy everyone. Not to mention that for every person that is nice to deal with, there are people that are just plain rude, and can ever be pleased. If you want to have the best experience possible, you have to know who you are, what you like in the sales process and what you don't, and disclose what you want up front. If you do that in a non-offensive manner, more than likely you will enjoy the process. The industry has changed in the past 10 years for the better of the consumer, we are protected by the internet. Can you imagine having to go to the library and looking through old copies of an actual "blue book"? Good luck getting the old guy in the plaid suit to show you the coveted invoice. Now we can do all these thing from the comfort of our home or anywhere on our mobile devices. As consumers we are more knowledgeable than in any time in history, and with that, more demanding. Remember this, the guy across from you is a person, is trying to do a job, and has a family just like you. Respect is a two way street, you have to give to get, and vise versa.
As a sales person, I speak from experience, and I take my job very serious. I study every new model as it comes out, and keep up with the changes. Watch the competition for any advantage I can disclose to my clients. Never bash a competitor, only point out the differences. Now, not every person that sells is like me, but we are the successful ones. For everyone of me, there are 10 that are looking for the quick buck. Walk into the dealership and ask for the salesperson that knows the most about the vehicles, and you got the salesman like me. Chances are he will be busy with a customer, as we are in high demand. Walk onto a lot blindly and you get the quick buck hundredaires!!! True professionals do not jump for dealership to dealership, brand to brand. Ask the salesperson how long they have worked there, and you will know what you are dealing with.

Thanks for listening...

"The American car salesman is both hated and revered" by Larry Howland

Quick Reply: POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?