Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What drives customers away more
Price
18.57%
Negotiation process
24.29%
Pressure from the Salesman
22.86%
Sneaky managers with hidden fees/services
34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 03:13 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Some dealers in my area have prominent displays of dubious items of no value --things like anti-corrosion modules and the like.

As soon as I see one of those displays (which they like to put on the roof of a new car in the showroom), all I can think is "scammy dealership--better keep a close eye on my wallet".

Last edited by Maikerusan; 08-28-15 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate the dealership experience because I feel that they ALWAYS try to screw me. Once they find out what you do and what your income is then F you. Haggling the deal takes all of the enjoyment out of getting a new car. One of the reasons I buy used now is because the new car buying experience with Lexus has been awful. I bought my LS460 from an Infiniti dealer and my ISF from an Audi dealership. The buying experience at Audi was BY FAR the smoothest and easiest buying experience of my life
Old 08-28-15, 04:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I can't vote because there is no option for all of the above.
Old 08-28-15, 04:36 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I bought my LS460 from an Infiniti dealer and my ISF from an Audi dealership. The buying experience at Audi was BY FAR the smoothest and easiest buying experience of my life
Sometimes it is a lot easier to buy a car from a dealership that does not represent that brand. They have no vested interest in keeping up the brand image or ripping you off to make the brand appear more premium than it should be. They might even treat the off brand as a bit of a pariah on their lot..so they move it and move it fast meaning the buyer gets a good price.

I see that often around here. For example, buy a used Toyota at a Toyota dealership and it is always far more expensive than buying it say, at a Ford dealership where they don't care at all about pretending that Toyotas have more value.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-16-15 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I see that often around here. For example, buy a used Toyota at a Toyota dealership and it is always far more expensive than buying it say, at a Ford dealership where they don't care at all about pretending that Toyotas have more value.
Are you talking about a Certified Used Toyota? They will usually cost more than a non-CPO because of their condition and warranty. One obvious reason used Toyotas will cost more at Toyota shops that at Ford shops is that Ford dealers can't sell Certified Used Toyotas, just as Toyota shops can't sell certified used Fords.
Old 08-28-15, 06:14 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you talking about a Certified Used Toyota? They will usually cost more than a non-CPO because of their condition and warranty. One obvious reason used Toyotas will cost more at Toyota shops that at Ford shops is that Ford dealers can't sell Certified Used Toyotas, just as Toyota shops can't sell certified used Fords.

No, not certified. I just picked Toyota as an example. I could have also said if you want a cheaper used Ford, buy it at a Chevy store.

Note saying this is universal rule, but it seems to be the case in my neck of the woods. Dealers "protect" their own product and try to sell used at a higher price than others will.

Last edited by Maikerusan; 08-28-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 06:44 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New cars that already have dealer added accessories. $499 window tint, $299 pin striping, $199 windshield protectant, $199 interior protectant, nitrogen, $199, vin window etching, ect, ect. Then you ask them to take it off, and they won't they mainly lower the price 50% and its still marked up.

dealer markup, I remember when the PT cruisers first came out, they had a $2K ADM, 2003 Nissan 350z's had a 3-5K markup.

Also, salesman that don't know what the %*@ they are talking about. When you know more about the car than they do and they blow smoke up your butt lying about what they think the car has.

And last but not least, salesman trying to get you to buy a new car with over 300 test drive miles. Lexus has stopped doing thus but most other dealers do this.
Old 09-01-15, 02:17 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping up just need more data
Old 09-02-15, 01:39 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 stupid dealer addons. especially distasteful ones.

even without addons, if I see a dealer markup on the window, I turn around and march right out the door.
Old 09-02-15, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Sleazy salesmen that bash other brands -the professional ones just keep to their brand

Sleazy finance dept. that intentionally put down a price not agreed on when negotiated earlier.

Fortunately with the internet, there's no need to step into the dealer to negotiate a deal, only to sign the paperwork.

The high-pressure salesperson are easy to deal with-just tell them you want to look around and when you're ready, you'll get them.
Old 09-02-15, 07:21 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Oh, I forgot to add one other thing about getting annoyed at dealerships......salespeople that jump you like vultures before you can even get your engine turned off, unbuckled, and out of your car.
I'm just as frequently annoyed at the exact opposite. Part of the reason we wound up with the RX was because at a competitive dealer a half mile away, we simply could not get a salesperson to come talk to us. We were in the market, needed a new vehicle (baby on the way at the time) and I literally had a check for a $20k down payment in my back pocket. We even pulled up in front of the dealer in a current-generation vehicle of the same brand. After 20 minutes of being ignored, we left.

That dealer has changed hands, and after a few great experiences with the parts department (one clerk was both shocked and personally offended when he looked up some bolts I needed, and discounted them by 80% before even telling me what the MSRP was), I wound up trying them again, and they were completely different. Didn't wind up buying from them, because they didn't have what I wanted in stock, but absolutely would have if they did. They do all my service now, and I'll go back to them if I'm in the market again.
Old 09-02-15, 08:14 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by geko29
I'm just as frequently annoyed at the exact opposite. Part of the reason we wound up with the RX was because at a competitive dealer a half mile away, we simply could not get a salesperson to come talk to us. We were in the market, needed a new vehicle (baby on the way at the time) and I literally had a check for a $20k down payment in my back pocket. We even pulled up in front of the dealer in a current-generation vehicle of the same brand. After 20 minutes of being ignored, we left.

Funny how that works. When you just want to sniff around, they jump you. When you actually want to buy, you cannot find a salesman at all.

The ones that really annoy me is where you go when they are closed (Say Sunday, very early in the day) and one of 2 things happen. A sleazy salesman still shows up to give you the Herb Tarlek welcome, or a security van shows up and tells you to buzz off.
Old 09-05-15, 11:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
over 200 people looked an only 1o votes, WTF
My answer is not in your poll:

E. Ignorant or unknowledgeable sales people.

Way too many times, the sales person just doesn't know the product. "Does it have a multi disc player." "Well, gee, let me look in this brochure." Buddy--if the marketing materials were clear, I'd know the answer already. I'm asking you because it's your job to know. I'm not asking some obscure detail like "What's the average pay scale of the factory worker who built this car?"

Last edited by tex2670; 09-05-15 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 11:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, I forgot to add one other thing about getting annoyed at dealerships......salespeople that jump you like vultures before you can even get your engine turned off, unbuckled, and out of your car.

Ha! I'm on the fence about this, because when you go into the showroom, and poke around, and they hang back and give you some space, I typically think "What the hell? Doesn't anyone work here? Don't they want to sell me car?" It's hard for them to win on that one.
Old 09-05-15, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ha! I'm on the fence about this, because when you go into the showroom, and poke around, and they hang back and give you some space, I typically think "What the hell? Doesn't anyone work here? Don't they want to sell me car?" It's hard for them to win on that one.
True, you don't want to be totally ignored, but sometimes it also pays to show a little restraint.

Quick Reply: POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?