Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What drives customers away more
Price
18.57%
Negotiation process
24.29%
Pressure from the Salesman
22.86%
Sneaky managers with hidden fees/services
34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 05:06 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?

I've gotten into a heated argument on LinkedIn about what turns buyers away more. There was an article posted how Lexus wants to eliminate negotiations with a one price for all technique. My perception on this subject was that the Price and Sneaky dishonest Managers, that drives people away more than anything, not as much as negotiations itself since its embedded into our culture.

The Other side said that, Selling pressure and haggle prices. Which I did not agree.

So I would like to post a Poll on this subject.

Last edited by FastTags; 08-28-15 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What turns me away the most is people at the dealerships who don't do their job....especially with new cars that are not inspected or prepared correctly. A very common problem is tires that aren't bled correctly to factory-recommendations after the vehicles come off the transporter....where they often have 40 or 50 PSI in them. I've learned to check them all myself before test-drives....and adjust them myself if necessary, which is often the case. Otherwise, overinflated tires significantly affect ride and handling.

Another common issue that turns me off is second price stickers on the windows of some new high-demand vehicles with ADM (additional dealer markup)....which, in most cases, is pure and simple profiteering at the public expense, despite Insult-Your-Intelligence TV ads that often "guarantee" the lowest prices and best availability. Not every dealership does this.........(some of the more honest ones sell high-demand vehicles at or just under list price, which IMO is more reasonable).
Old 08-28-15, 07:47 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for sharing, I am all about the price.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
What turns me away the most is people at the dealerships who don't do their job....especially with new cars that are not inspected or prepared correctly. A very common problem is tires that aren't bled correctly to factory-recommendations after the vehicles come off the transporter....where they often have 40 or 50 PSI in them. I've learned to check them all myself before test-drives....and adjust them myself if necessary, which is often the case. Otherwise, overinflated tires significantly affect ride and handling.

Another common issue that turns me off is second price stickers on the windows of some new high-demand vehicles with ADM (additional dealer markup)....which, in most cases, is pure and simple profiteering at the public expense, despite Insult-Your-Intelligence TV ads that often "guarantee" the lowest prices and best availability. Not every dealership does this.........(some of the more honest ones sell high-demand vehicles at or just under list price, which IMO is more reasonable).
Old 08-28-15, 08:14 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Ontario, all dealers are now required by law to advertise "All In" pricing and itemize them on the invoice. Doesn't stop them from creative packaging though.
Old 08-28-15, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Here in Ontario, all dealers are now required by law to advertise "All In" pricing and itemize them on the invoice. Doesn't stop them from creative packaging though.
We used to see that at Saturn dealerships.....oops, Saturn called them "Retailers". They were banned, by company policy, from discounting or selling at more than list (which was usually around a 12-14% markup), even with high-demand/short-supply vehicles. So, to get around that, the more unscrupulous Saturn retailers would take those high-demand vehicles (like the 2-seat Saturn Sky roadster which was always in short supply), and sometimes put unrequested dealer/factory-approved accessories on them, which they were allowed to charge for, thus increasing the price, as they made significant profits on those accessories. It was basically either a take-it-or-leave-it scenario.

i suspect that Scion dealerships sometimes do the same thing, as, like Saturn, their basic pricing structure is a no-dicker, list-price....but allowed to charge for accessories.
Old 08-28-15, 08:35 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We used to see that at Saturn dealerships.....oops, Saturn called them "Retailers". They were banned, by company policy, from discounting or selling at more than list (which was usually around a 12-14% markup), even with high-demand/short-supply vehicles. So, to get around that, the more unscrupulous Saturn retailers would take those high-demand vehicles (like the 2-seat Saturn Sky roadster which was always in short supply), and sometimes put unrequested dealer/factory-approved accessories on them, which they were allowed to charge for, thus increasing the price, as they made significant profits on those accessories. It was basically either a take-it-or-leave-it scenario.

i suspect that Scion dealerships sometimes do the same thing, as, like Saturn, their basic pricing structure is a no-dicker, list-price....but are allowed to charge for accessories.
this is exactly the kinda crap I hate.
Old 08-28-15, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTags
this is exactly the kinda crap I hate.
The Solstice and Sky roadsters, though, were irresistible to some buyers. They had to be the first ones on the block to own one...and sometimes paid through the nose. I helped a friend of mine shop for a gray Solstice (a small local Pontiac/GMC dealership had one exactly the color and options he wanted), and charged list price for it....no markup and no accessories. At the time, both he and I considered that an excellent deal....especially considering what most Pontiac shops were charging for them.
Old 08-28-15, 09:56 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

There really should be a choice of "All of the above".

My dealership experiences:

The one time I decided to buy new car I found the car I wanted, but couldn't get the dealer to quote a price. He kept trying to sell me financing packages. I asked for a price, he'd answer "Would you take it for $300 a month? $250?". I said that the only way I'd do business was to agree on a price then we could talk financing. He wouldn't. I finally told him that if he didn't quote me a price I was going to walk. He didn't and I did.

I'm happy to report that that dealership is now a vacant lot.

The one time I brought my car in to a dealership for servicing was when the ABS hoses on my Acura Legend needed replacing. They are under high pressure and require a complicated bleeding procedure. The dealership screwed up the bleeding and the pump, which was designed to run a few seconds every day, ran continuously until it fried itself.

Parts prices. Look, I expect parts prices to be higher at a dealership than on the open market. But it's pretty ridiculous that an O2 sensor from the dealer costs $256 when I paid $62 including shipping from an internet store for the exact same part in the factory box. It's gotten to the point where I call the dealership for a quote before I buy any expensive part just because it makes me feel so much better when I buy it for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

Last edited by natman; 08-28-15 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 11:36 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

over 200 people looked an only 1o votes, WTF
Old 08-28-15, 12:14 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by natman

The one time I decided to buy new car I found the car I wanted, but couldn't get the dealer to quote a price. He kept trying to sell me financing packages. I asked for a price, he'd answer "Would you take it for $300 a month? $250?". I said that the only way I'd do business was to agree on a price then we could talk financing. He wouldn't. I finally told him that if he didn't quote me a price I was going to walk. He didn't and I did.

Good. The salesman must have been an idiot. I happen to pay cash for cars and am not interested in any monthly payment or discussions along those lines.
Old 08-28-15, 12:15 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The one time I brought my car in to a dealership for servicing was when the ABS hoses on my Acura Legend needed replacing. They are under high pressure and require a complicated bleeding procedure. The dealership screwed up the bleeding and the pump, which was designed to run a few seconds every day, ran continuously until it fried itself.

Parts prices. Look, I expect parts prices to be higher at a dealership than on the open market. But it's pretty ridiculous that an O2 sensor from the dealer costs $256 when I paid $62 including shipping from an internet store for the exact same part in the factory box. It's gotten to the point where I call the dealership for a quote before I buy any expensive part just because it makes me feel so much better when I buy it for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.
My vote for this!
Old 08-28-15, 12:21 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

is there a way to add another poll option?
Old 08-28-15, 01:08 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What really sucks is Lexus shut down internet sales of parts because local dealerships whined that they were losing sales. They also whined when people were buying factory warranties from other dealerships online at HUGE discounts so you can't do that any more either. They don't want to compete by lowering their prices to match so the consumer gets screwed once again.
Old 08-28-15, 01:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I voted on price as it was only one option since ultimately this is my bottom line.

However, all other factors too would drive me away. If the negotiation process is one-sided without any room for budging, I will walk away.

If that goes well, but I'm not ready to sign and the salesman becomes aggressive to finalize the sale I will walk away.

And finally, if at contract signing, I notice hidden sneaky fees tacked on, I will walk away.
Old 08-28-15, 01:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I forgot to add one other thing about getting annoyed at dealerships......salespeople that jump you like vultures before you can even get your engine turned off, unbuckled, and out of your car.

Quick Reply: POLL: What turns you away most from a Dealership?