Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the deal with the new LX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LC has great mechanicals, so if someone needs a great SUV, its there... if someone needs luxury vehicle, then thats not really the LC... LX does that much, much better.

I had LC200 V8 as a company car for a while, and again, it is great SUV, not a great luxury vehicle... i know they improved the bits in all the MMCs (facelifts), but real thing is called LX570... it is night and day difference.
I would hardly say that the difference is nice and day. The LC is pretty high end premium and it does have a lot of nice luxury features and such. It also has a loyal ownership base and very dedicated repeat set of buyers.

The Lexus is higher end with some nicer materials. But both vehicles operate quite similarly. The LC and LX are in class that are quite a bit higher than a Jeep or pretty much anything American.
Old 08-30-15, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default What is the deal with the new LX?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LC and LX are in class that are quite a bit higher than a Jeep or pretty much anything American.
Ever heard of a vehicle called the Cadillac Escalade? Sells 3-4 times as well as the LX and LC combined, and that's the previous version of the Escalade.
Old 08-30-15, 05:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Ever heard of a vehicle called the Cadillac Escalade? Sells 3-4 times as well as the LX and LC combined, and that's the previous version of the Escalade.
The Navigator outsells them too.
Old 08-30-15, 05:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Escalade starts a little less than the LC and tops out higher than the LX (I would have to check). The Escalade deseves to be compared to the LX and probably is the better vehicle.

Not sure what you are trying to get at it in regards to sales volumes. Sales volumes really does not mean all that much.
Old 08-30-15, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Navigator outsells them too.
I really like the styling of the Navigator, but it does start at $22K less than the LX570.
Old 08-30-15, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My point is the Escalade clearly is a very good competitor and its American.

Sales figures mean everything. Carmakers are in the business of selling cars, what ultimately matters is that people buy the cars, that they appeal to the correct demographic. They don't just produce cars for the fun of it.

Ultimately, the proof is in those sales figures. Consumers are paying more for the LX than the LC, despite them being essentially the same vehicle.

Neither vehicle is really set up to be a volume seller in this segment, like an Escalade or a Range Rover. From the perspective of autos as a business...they are the superior product because they're reaching the consumer and generating sales.
Old 08-30-15, 05:54 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point is the Escalade clearly is a very good competitor and its American.

Sales figures mean everything. Carmakers are in the business of selling cars, what ultimately matters is that people buy the cars, that they appeal to the correct demographic. They don't just produce cars for the fun of it.

Ultimately, the proof is in those sales figures. Consumers are paying more for the LX than the LC, despite them being essentially the same vehicle.

Neither vehicle is really set up to be a volume seller in this segment, like an Escalade or a Range Rover. From the perspective of autos as a business...they are the superior product because they're reaching the consumer and generating sales.
No, a vehicle generates better sales because it better meets the needs of more consumers, not necessarily because it's superior. The LC and the LX don't sell as many as the Escalade only because few consumers actually need or can notice the additional capabilities afforded by the LC/LX, not because the Escalade is a superior vehicle. In other words, the LC/LX is over-engineered for the mainstream US market, while the Escalade offers a better value for most of the US consumers.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-30-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
No, a vehicle generates better sales because it better meets the needs of more consumers, not necessarily because it's superior. The LC and the LX don't sell as many as the Escalade only because few consumers actually need or can notice the additional capabilities afforded by the LC/LX's superiority.
Then in what way is it "superior" to the target market? It's not. It's not an excellent vehicle to the consumer who buys such a vehicle in this particular market, which is why they don't buy them.

If we don't take the business aspect of these products into account when judging them were basically just playing "fantasy autos" here.
Old 08-30-15, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No, a vehicle generates better sales because it better meets the needs of more consumers, not necessarily because it's superior. The LC and the LX don't sell as many as the Escalade only because few consumers actually need or can notice the additional capabilities afforded by the LC/LX's superiority, not because the Escalade is a superior vehicle. In other words, the LC/LX is over-engineered for the mainstream US market, while the Escalade offers a better value for what most of the US consumers need.
The Escalade sells for one basic reason......it has big, traditional American BLING, which is becoming quite rare nowadays on today's vehicles. Even its own closest competitor, the Lincoln Navigator, isn't quite in the same league. Those who want to surround themselves with acres of sheet metal, chrome, wood trim, and plushness find that the Escalade probably does it like no other, short of the $300K Rolls/Bentley class.
Old 08-30-15, 06:12 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Then in what way is it "superior" to the target market? It's not. It's not an excellent vehicle to the consumer who buys such a vehicle in this particular market, which is why they don't buy them.

If we don't take the business aspect of these products into account when judging them were basically just playing "fantasy autos" here.
Many 4x4 magazines have validated the LC and the LX's superior capabilities in some of the most demanding offroad conditions. Most US consumers, however, don't live in or ever venture into such extreme areas to be able to appreciate the LC/LX's capabilities, so the Escalade is "good enough" for them, but it doesn't mean the Escalade is superior in any way except value.

This is just like how most sports cars are clearly superior vehicles in dynamics to most mainstream vehicles, but because few consumers actually need to accelerate or corner at such velocity, they don't sell nearly as many as less capable but less expensive cars.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-30-15 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 06:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Escalade sells for one basic reason......it has big, traditional American BLING, which is becoming quite rare nowadays on today's vehicles. Even its own closest competitor, the Lincoln Navigator, isn't quite in the same league. Those who want to surround themselves with acres of sheet metal, chrome, wood trim, and plushness find that the Escalade probably does it like no other, short of the $300K Rolls/Bentley class.
I agree with what you say, and unlike other Cadillacs, the Escalade does have the style, power, capabilities, and the prestige to stack up well against the competition.
Old 08-30-15, 06:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Many 4x4 magazines have validated the LC and the LX's superior capabilities in some of the most demanding offroad conditions. Most US consumers, however, don't live in or ever venture into such extreme areas to be able to appreciate the LC/LX's capabilities, so the Escalade is "good enough" for them, but it doesn't mean the Escalade is superior in any way except value.

This is just like how most sports cars are clearly superior vehicles in dynamics to most mainstream vehicles, but because few consumers actually need to accelerate or corner at such velocity, they don't sell nearly as many as less capable but less expensive cars.
Yes true, I have said in the past that the LX should probably go to a IRS with a lift hatch rear design sooner than later. Maybe a switch to the Sequoia platform is in order.
Old 08-30-15, 07:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not denying that the LC is a very capable off-road vehicle. It is not a successful or broadly appealing vehicle in the U.S. though, that's also undeniable.

The issue is, as I've said, what makes the LC Special is something that American consumers don't need or want, and unlike the LX it doesn't also have the panache, status, or quality of a luxury vehicle commensurate with its price point...thus its poor sales. That's why the more expensive LX outsells it by 50%.

So, it may be a great vehicle, but it's not an appealing vehicle in this market.
Old 08-30-15, 07:12 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I think you would be interested to know that globally they sold 33,065 Escalades in 2014 and 28,600 LX 570's. I think between 2015 and 2016 the LX will outsell the Escalade (globally) especially after the 2016 update.

LC200 isn't even in the same league in terms of sales as that sold around 120k units in 2014 and just keeps increasing but then keep in mind most of those sales aren't of the fully loaded versions but the basic/mid spec versions which cost much cheaper.

I know you are talking about the US market, no doubt the Escalade outsells both of them at home.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 08-30-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not denying that the LC is a very capable off-road vehicle. It is not a successful or broadly appealing vehicle in the U.S. though, that's also undeniable.

The issue is, as I've said, what makes the LC Special is something that American consumers don't need or want, and unlike the LX it doesn't also have the panache, status, or quality of a luxury vehicle commensurate with its price point...thus its poor sales. That's why the more expensive LX outsells it by 50%.

So, it may be a great vehicle, but it's not an appealing vehicle in this market.
No, its not about sales volumes at the $80k price point. It's about pleasing the buyers that are buyimg the LC, the sales for the LC have never been all that great ever since the Sequoia came to market in 2001 or around that time. The LC buyers are some of the most loyal in the industry. Personally I am glad the vehicle is a low volume seller.

Quick Reply: What is the deal with the new LX?