Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the deal with the new LX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
LOL, Good point.

Looks like engine is much bigger.

I don't mind the look of the LX at all. Good that it has the bigger engine here. The LC only has a 4.6L engine here.

This is the first Lexus LX in Japan, so it is a pretty big deal apparently.

Yeah, we are looking at about $130K US when all is said and done.

Again, why the heck are cars so expensive here???
considering that the car is a tad above 90k here, 130k in japan almost sounds like it's a "good" deal
Old 08-28-15, 10:19 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
considering that the car is a tad above 90k here, 130k in japan almost sounds like it's a "good" deal
I would not go that far, but it is not as bad as the S63, that car works to be $210K over here. You guys get that car for nearly 80K cheaper.
Old 08-28-15, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I would not go that far, but it is not as bad as the S63, that car works to be $210K over here. You guys get that car for nearly 80K cheaper.
yeah that's kind of what i was referring to, that's quite an ouch

and btw, why s550 together with s63?
Old 08-29-15, 12:27 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah that's kind of what i was referring to, that's quite an ouch

and btw, why s550 together with s63?
Hard to explain, but I use the S550 for work. You can't really do much around employees, I don't know, it is a Japanese thing. The same as big company executives not getting paid as much as their foreign counterparts in public offered companies.

Footnote, my company is not publicly traded.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...merican-sixth/

Japan is the land of the bargain-basement CEO. On June 30 securities regulators began requiring Japanese companies to disclose pay for executives making more than 100 million yen ($1.1 million). While the headlines went to the top earners—foreigners Carlos Ghosn of Nissan Motor (NSANY) and Sony’s (SNE) Howard Stringer—the big surprise was how few Japanese business leaders take home super-size paychecks.
Although pay for Japanese executives has more than doubled in the past decade, the government says, fewer than 300 people at Japan’s 3,813 public companies earned enough in 2009 to require disclosure, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers. Companies listed on Japan’s stock exchanges paid their chief executives an average of $580,000 in salary and other compensation last fiscal year, PWC estimates, about 16 times more than the typical Japanese worker. Average CEO pay at the 3,000 largest U.S. companies is $3.5 million, including stock options and bonuses, according to the Corporate Library, a research group.
Old 08-29-15, 12:58 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Hard to explain, but I use the S550 for work. You can't really do much around employees, I don't know, it is a Japanese thing. The same as big company executives not getting paid as much as their foreign counterparts in public offered companies.

Footnote, my company is not publicly traded.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...merican-sixth/
It must be a Japanese thing. Not too long ago the company my girlfriend works for was purchased by Fast Retailing. The Japanese CEO/owner Tadashi Yanai is the richest Japanese citizen (10 times richer than Donald Trump). My girlfriend had the honor to meet him. She also stated that even the higher executives at the headquarters of Fast Retailing in Japan don't have offices but use cubicles and that only Tadashi Yanai has his own office.

I think the 2016 LX looks awesome. I will convince my brother in getting one. If he doesn't end up getting one, I might get one...
Old 08-29-15, 01:15 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trexus
It must be a Japanese thing. Not too long ago the company my girlfriend works for was purchased by Fast Retailing. The Japanese CEO/owner Tadashi Yanai is the richest Japanese citizen (10 times richer than Donald Trump). My girlfriend had the honor to meet him. She also stated that even the higher executives at the headquarters of Fast Retailing in Japan don't have offices but use cubicles and that only Tadashi Yanai has his own office.

I think the 2016 LX looks awesome. I will convince my brother in getting one. If he doesn't end up getting one, I might get one...
The richest people in Japan are those with the most Liquid Assets. I know a guy here and his company is not publicly traded that turns over 1.2 billion a year. He does not have to declare his earnings to the Japanese securities regulators, but he would have more Liquid Assets than Tadashi Yanai. Ie, Fast Retailing has revenues of about $8 billion dollars, BUT is publicly traded.

All is not what it seems with Forbes rankings. Something that I learnt here was that many companies are purposefully not traded publicly ,but have been in a single family for generations. Something to think about.
Old 08-29-15, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The richest people in Japan are those with the most Liquid Assets. I know a guy here and his company is not publicly traded that turns over 1.2 billion a year. He does not have to declare his earnings to the Japanese securities regulators, but he would have more Liquid Assets than Tadashi Yanai. Ie, Fast Retailing has revenues of about $8 billion dollars, BUT is publicly traded.

All is not what it seems with Forbes rankings. Something that I learnt here was that many companies are purposefully not traded publicly ,but have been in a single family for generations. Something to think about.
very interesting indeed. that's kind of what i suspected, you didn't want your people to know what you are "really" driving. but yes, the forbes thing, i always take it with a grain of salt. every time i look at the billionaire list, i always ask myself just how many more that avoid making to the list

but it's still good that you get to enjoy the s63 on weekends, i hope
Old 08-30-15, 03:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

did you sit in the LX and LC? IMHO, I would not pay for LC unless i need large and capable SUV.
New LX on the other hand is much, much more luxurious and they crammed all the latest tech they have inside. For me, it is almost as Camry vs LS difference.
Old 08-30-15, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
did you sit in the LX and LC? IMHO, I would not pay for LC unless i need large and capable SUV.
New LX on the other hand is much, much more luxurious and they crammed all the latest tech they have inside. For me, it is almost as Camry vs LS difference.
I don't agree and I think you are wrong, you make it sound like the LC is downright terrible. The LC is fine and is quite nice. Lovely leathers everywhere and excellent switchgear.
Old 08-30-15, 09:28 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's only about a $10k difference in price between an LC and an LX, people spend more than that on ****ty option packages on german cars.
Old 08-30-15, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't agree and I think you are wrong, you make it sound like the LC is downright terrible. The LC is fine and is quite nice. Lovely leathers everywhere and excellent switchgear.
The LC is "fine" I agree. The issue is that its an $80,000 vehicle that feels like a $45,000 vehicle. Leather is okay but not great, fake wood, a good bit of cheap plastic around. IMHO its not even as nice inside as a loaded Tahoe...which is also not cheap. An $80,000 LC shouldn't be "fine" inside.

The LX is considerably better for comparatively not a lot more money. Thats why I think you do see LXs on the road, but almost never see a LC.
Old 08-30-15, 11:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The LC is "fine" I agree. The issue is that its an $80,000 vehicle that feels like a $45,000 vehicle. Leather is okay but not great, fake wood, a good bit of cheap plastic around. IMHO its not even as nice inside as a loaded Tahoe...which is also not cheap. An $80,000 LC shouldn't be "fine" inside.

The LX is considerably better for comparatively not a lot more money. Thats why I think you do see LXs on the road, but almost never see a LC.
Just like I disagree that the Jeep GC is a luxury SUV, I have to disagree with you about the LC. The LC is worth the money, (although I have been critical of it) the LC has a rare prestige, solid credentials, a done interior that appeals to the Toyota (and Land Cruiser) fans.

I have no problems with the interior of the LC whatsoever.

There is a certain type of prestige and raritiy that the LC offers that very few other vehicles can.
Old 08-30-15, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just like I disagree that the Jeep GC is a luxury SUV
Seeing that you know so little about it you didn't even know whether it was FWD or RWD, I think that shows the value of your viewpoint there.

The LC is worth the money, (although I have been critical of it) the LC has a rare prestige, solid credentials, a done interior that appeals to the Toyota (and Land Cruiser) fans.
Then why don't they sell any of them in the US, if they are "worth the money"?

I have no problems with the interior of the LC whatsoever.
And when was the last time you shopped for and bought an $80-90,000 car? For me it was 3 months ago. Whens the last time that you drove an $80,000 car? For me it was about 2 hours ago. The Land Cruiser does not have an interior anywhere near the quality that a consumer shopping for an $80k+ vehicle expects. There may be a few niche people to whom the fact that "its a Land Cruiser" means enough for them to go past that, but the rest of the consumers just pay $10k more for the LX. The sales records prove that. Nobody that doesn't have that niche connection to the Land Cruiser will get past sitting in it in the showroom and saying "they want HOW MUCH?" and walking out. The fact that you, a Corolla owner, have no issue with the interior isn't the question. The question is will someone who can and will pay $80,000 for a vehicle find the interior of the LC up to snuff?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but not everybody's opinions have any value to others.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-30-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

LC has great mechanicals, so if someone needs a great SUV, its there... if someone needs luxury vehicle, then thats not really the LC... LX does that much, much better.

I had LC200 V8 as a company car for a while, and again, it is great SUV, not a great luxury vehicle... i know they improved the bits in all the MMCs (facelifts), but real thing is called LX570... it is night and day difference.
Old 08-30-15, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default What is the deal with the new LX?

Originally Posted by spwolf
LC has great mechanicals, so if someone needs a great SUV, its there... if someone needs luxury vehicle, then thats not really the LC... LX does that much, much better.

I had LC200 V8 as a company car for a while, and again, it is great SUV, not a great luxury vehicle... i know they improved the bits in all the MMCs (facelifts), but real thing is called LX570... it is night and day difference.
Exactly, and the fact of the matter is that in the U.S. people don't really need a vehicle with the capabilities of the LC at $80k, a vehicle at that price is largely a luxury purchase, which is why the LC sells poorly here and the LX sells less poorly.

Quick Reply: What is the deal with the new LX?