Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the deal with the new LX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 04:51 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the deal with the new LX?

So Lexus comes to work today to see if I want to buy the new LX. Problem is, it looks just like a Land Cruiser with a Lexus badge. I am not even sure the engine is even any different.

Please school me on this car as I don't really want to take the reps word for it. Nothing seems special about it at all.
Old 08-28-15, 05:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
So Lexus comes to work today to see if I want to buy the new LX. Problem is, it looks just like a Land Cruiser with a Lexus badge. I am not even sure the engine is even any different.

Please school me on this car as I don't really want to take the reps word for it. Nothing seems special about it at all.
It is definitely the ultimate Land Cruiser.
Old 08-28-15, 08:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because, sometimes, you look good (if not better) in a tuxedo.
Old 08-28-15, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, it probably won't take much schooling. For the most part, it IS a Land Cruiser with a Lexus badge. I'm not sure about the exact Japanese-spec, where you are, but in the U.S., about the only real differences between the two are the badges, the amount of wood in the interior, a couple of small items, and the trick push-button in the LX that raises/lowers the suspension for ground clearance.
Old 08-28-15, 09:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would the LC be more relevant if it was "dumbed down" a lot? Cloth seats, basic amenities, fewer options? Let it start at $65k base instead of $80k.

Make the LX more special.

But then again, both are super low volume in sales, and having variety will be costly, difficult to configure and find "the perfect combo" for buyers, and make resale horrible.
Old 08-28-15, 10:13 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you are in Japan and the LC in Japan only gets the 4.6 v8 with the 6 speed, the LX will give you a bigger and more powerful engine ( 5.7 ) as well as a 8 speed transmission.
It has the same suspension and chassis as the LC though and shares the same off road tech.
( In Japan and various markets around the world the LC also gets the active height control ) So the ride will pretty much be the same but the Lexus will no doubt use more insulation through out the cabin, front windows are double glazed, the LC is just normal single pane window all around not sure about the Japanese LC though.

Obviously you know the visual difference, LX is definitely nicer inside. Exterior looks are subjective, i know many people who prefer the LC styling over the LX and vice versa.

FYI the LX is just an update and not really all new, still the same underpinnings from 8 years ago.
Old 08-28-15, 10:19 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Would the LC be more relevant if it was "dumbed down" a lot? Cloth seats, basic amenities, fewer options? Let it start at $65k base instead of $80k.

Make the LX more special.

But then again, both are super low volume in sales, and having variety will be costly, difficult to configure and find "the perfect combo" for buyers, and make resale horrible.
In markets around the world you get basic Land Cruisers with manual transmission, v6 engine, turbo/twin turbo diesel, barn doors, cloth seats, even vinyl seats. You also get mid spec versions slotted between the basic and fully loaded models.

They already dumbed down the LC interior enough this generation to make the LX feel special.

Btw the LC sells pretty well around the world. 200 series LC sells around 120k annually and the number increases. It is the favorite for many government organisations and non government organisations around the world as well as being very popular in the Middle East, Australia, Russia, numerous African/Asian countries.
Old 08-28-15, 10:45 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

It's been this way since 1996 when the LX was introduced. What's the question?
Old 08-28-15, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am not sure about suspension. as i pointed out in a prior thread, i thought the LX has hydralic suspensions where LC is more traditional

LX is really a more refined version of LC imho (given the same drivetrain). granted, the LX actually doesn't share much parts with the LC, but a lot of people look at them as the same car

here in the US, imho, it makes a lot more sense to get the LX when the LC is only about 10k cheaper (LC is very expensive here with a toyota badge). but in japan, LC is a lot cheaper (with the smaller engine) so it's a much bigger gap
Old 08-28-15, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
he's in japan, LX is pretty new
Old 08-28-15, 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it probably won't take much schooling. For the most part, it IS a Land Cruiser with a Lexus badge. I'm not sure about the exact Japanese-spec, where you are, but in the U.S., about the only real differences between the two are the badges, the amount of wood in the interior, a couple of small items, and the trick push-button in the LX that raises/lowers the suspension for ground clearance.
Pretty much spot on. The LX and LC in every market that is sold are 200 series vehicles that are all sourced from the same parts bin. The LC in the UK is offered with a 4.5 diesel and the same adaptive variable suspension with 20 inch rims that is used in the LX570 in the United States. The LX has it all while different markets sometimes adds parts from the LX570 to the LC. Another example would be the power rear row seats in the LX570 that are not available in the US spec LC but are offered in overseas LCs.

The 4Runner/GX/Prado/Land Cruiser V8 are all 150 series and do the same thing as above.
Old 08-28-15, 01:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

In Canada, we don't get the Land Cruiser so LX is pure Lexus for us here.

I don't see it as badge engineering. Body and mechanicals are the same, but there are enough styling differences outside to show the difference. Additionally, the interior is uniquely Lexus like the dash, console, and door panels (not sure about seats, possibly just the rear most). It's like a current Escalade is to a Tahoe, but two gens ago, these were purely badge engineered vehicles.
Old 08-28-15, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
In Canada, we don't get the Land Cruiser so LX is pure Lexus for us here.

I don't see it as badge engineering. Body and mechanicals are the same, but there are enough styling differences outside to show the difference. Additionally, the interior is uniquely Lexus like the dash, console, and door panels (not sure about seats, possibly just the rear most). It's like a current Escalade is to a Tahoe, but two gens ago, these were purely badge engineered vehicles.
Two gens ago the LX450 was are rebaged LC

Last gen, the LX470 was rebaged Land Cruiser from overseas.
Old 08-28-15, 05:03 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Because, sometimes, you look good (if not better) in a tuxedo.
LOL, Good point.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like engine is much bigger.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Since you are in Japan and the LC in Japan only gets the 4.6 v8 with the 6 speed, the LX will give you a bigger and more powerful engine ( 5.7 ) as well as a 8 speed transmission.
It has the same suspension and chassis as the LC though and shares the same off road tech.
( In Japan and various markets around the world the LC also gets the active height control ) So the ride will pretty much be the same but the Lexus will no doubt use more insulation through out the cabin, front windows are double glazed, the LC is just normal single pane window all around not sure about the Japanese LC though.

Obviously you know the visual difference, LX is definitely nicer inside. Exterior looks are subjective, i know many people who prefer the LC styling over the LX and vice versa.

FYI the LX is just an update and not really all new, still the same underpinnings from 8 years ago.
I don't mind the look of the LX at all. Good that it has the bigger engine here. The LC only has a 4.6L engine here.

Originally Posted by Jacket
This is the first Lexus LX in Japan, so it is a pretty big deal apparently.

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure about suspension. as i pointed out in a prior thread, i thought the LX has hydralic suspensions where LC is more traditional

LX is really a more refined version of LC imho (given the same drivetrain). granted, the LX actually doesn't share much parts with the LC, but a lot of people look at them as the same car

here in the US, imho, it makes a lot more sense to get the LX when the LC is only about 10k cheaper (LC is very expensive here with a toyota badge). but in japan, LC is a lot cheaper (with the smaller engine) so it's a much bigger gap
Yeah, we are looking at about $130K US when all is said and done.

Again, why the heck are cars so expensive here???
Old 08-28-15, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Again, why the heck are cars so expensive here???
Part of it might be the dollar/yen exchange rate, but most of it is probably taxes. Japan, like some European countries, likes to tax vehicle size, power, and emissions....especially on something the size of an LX.

Quick Reply: What is the deal with the new LX?