Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone own or have experience with a Hyundai Genesis 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 06:28 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyundai has come a long way in the last few years, I didn't have a Genesis, but one thing to keep in mind is the resale/trade value. After 3 years the trade value takes a pretty good hit. There are a lot of 2013 5.0 R spec ones on Autotrader going for 25, 26 grand now meaning trades may be getting 22 to 23 grand from the dealers. These cars sold for around 47K if I remember right. Research it yourself to be sure though.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I've been seeing a lot of the new Genesis on the road with the 3.6, but have yet to see a 5.0 on the road. I'm really liking the way they look. I've always told myself I would never buy a Hyundai, but I'm starting to possibly consider it. In a perfect world, I would find a low mileage '10-11 GS460, but the task of finding one has proven to be next to impossible. I'm starting to explore other options for a V8 sedan, and the Genesis is popping up on my list. I normally buy used, but since the Hyundai warranty isn't transferable, I would buy new if I went this route. Does anyone own a Genesis 5.0 or have experience with them?
Old 10-01-15, 08:24 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

I own a 5.0 Genesis and absolutely love the car. I previously owned a GS and have been very pleased with the driving dynamics and interior fit and finish. I do like that I don't see many of them on the road and in my opinion Hyundai did a great job on this model.

Here are some pictures of mine.

Old 10-01-15, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

awesome.
Old 10-01-15, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awesome.

Yep. My Genesis 5.0L RWD review can be wrapped up in three letters....WOW.
Old 10-08-15, 08:52 AM
Midnight6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Hyundai Master tech I can address the vibration issue and state that it has been noted and corrected. any owners that currently have ANY model 15+ genesis sedan if you have not already you can take your car in for a FREE SET OF TIRES. the issue was poor QC on a set of tires in the 15MY production. aside from that we see 0 problems with the DH model.
Old 10-08-15, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight6
As a Hyundai Master tech I can address the vibration issue and state that it has been noted and corrected. any owners that currently have ANY model 15+ genesis sedan if you have not already you can take your car in for a FREE SET OF TIRES. the issue was poor QC on a set of tires in the 15MY production. aside from that we see 0 problems with the DH model.
Thanks for your input.......and welcome to CL. I see you are a new poster.

Just out of curiosity, what did they actually trace it to on the tires? Runout/out of roundness? Balance off because of a poorly-calibrated balance machine? Bad belts inside the tire? Balance weights falling off? As a Master-Tech, you, of course, know the many different problems in wheels/tires/hubs that can cause a shimmy.

i ask because even though I don't own a 2Gen Genesis (and the one I did a full-review on did not have any shimmy-problems), I have a very high opinion of this car........Hyundai, IMO, did an excellent job on it.
Old 10-08-15, 03:59 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for your input.......and welcome to CL. I see you are a new poster.

Just out of curiosity, what did they actually trace it to on the tires? Runout/out of roundness? Balance off because of a poorly-calibrated balance machine? Bad belts inside the tire? Balance weights falling off? As a Master-Tech, you, of course, know the many different problems in wheels/tires/hubs that can cause a shimmy.

i ask because even though I don't own a 2Gen Genesis (and the one I did a full-review on did not have any shimmy-problems), I have a very high opinion of this car........Hyundai, IMO, did an excellent job on it.
If it were a balance machine issue or wheel weights, they'd just have to come in for a free balance. If the tires themselves are the issue, and I have seen bad tires before, it can come down to a manufacturing issue that causes out-of-roundness or a belt that begins failing that can cause a vibration.
Old 10-08-15, 04:24 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I watched Evan's review of your car, did not expect to see it here. Very cool.

Originally Posted by huddleston
I own a 5.0 Genesis and absolutely love the car. I previously owned a GS and have been very pleased with the driving dynamics and interior fit and finish. I do like that I don't see many of them on the road and in my opinion Hyundai did a great job on this model.

Here are some pictures of mine.

Old 10-08-15, 04:27 PM
Midnight6
Driver School Candidate

they never gave us a true rundown of why. but the main comlaints were vibration and road noise. when performing balancing we are required to road force them, and anything over 11lbs of road force is junk in our standards. most of these that i saw came in with over 70lbs of road force, to me that is an indication of belt shift or the tire being out of round. so the only thing to do was replace them, its on the 3.8 and 5.0 models. not limited to one or another but both had hankook tires from the factory.
Old 10-09-15, 07:20 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I watched Evan's review of your car, did not expect to see it here. Very cool.
Thanks. it will be on David Pattersons channel after SEMA. The white Shelby GT500 he reviewed several times is mine as well.
Old 10-09-15, 06:22 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by huddleston
Thanks. it will be on David Pattersons channel after SEMA. The white Shelby GT500 he reviewed several times is mine as well.
Nice! I wish you were near Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire, would be awesome to have him do a One Take of the Shelby or Genesis.