Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My Corolla gets a $55 oil change at a Toyota dealer, I could probably try to save $25 by getting it done at Canadian Tire or even cheaper in Rochester on the weekends. But honestly, I have no issues paying extra, I like the dealer I go to, I am entitled to a loaner becuase of all the cars I have bought and my fmaily too but I just get a shuttle drive back to my office. Or sometimes I just browse the lot and show room and look at the cars.
You could probably learn to do it yourself, as I did for many years. It is one of the most simple of engine-maintenance chores, and, in most cases, requires only a few basic tools/supplies, the specs for the engine's oil capacity and type, a rudimentary knowledge on how much to tighten the drain plug/oil filter, and a place to properly dispose of the old oil and filter (most local service stations have containers for that). The only real problem comes when you have a very hard-to-get filter location on the engine block, though, Corollas, by today's standards, are generally pretty basic under the hood. Some cars, though, require a lift and/or getting at them underneath.....ramps won't work because of low bodywork, or the drain plug is otherwise unreachable. BMWs with cartrage-type oil filters are sometimes an exception, but most cars use a simple spin-off filter. The old Saturn S-series even used a simple, spin-off transmission filter, IMO an excellent feature.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-28-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 10:35 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
He said they started putting a rate on the loaner sheet to try and get people to return their loners in a more timely fashion which is an issue apparently.
There has to be some reason after 25 years of calling them "loaners", something that implies a cost free courtesy, making the change to calling them "rentals', something that someone pays to use. And to go to the trouble of scraping off all the old ones that say "loaner" and changing it to "rental". Why would they do that if there wasn't going to be some sort of change in how they view loaner cars?
From the sound of everything so far, it sounds unlikely that your dealership is going to start charging.

I think what your SA described makes perfect sense for the change in verbiage to rental from loaner. They probably changed the name on the back of the cars to rental so they can add the rate to the sheet. You can't put a rate on a "loaner", but you can put a rate on a "rental".

The intention may not be to actually charge or even lead into future charging for the loaners, but it's just a psychological tactic to get customers to return the cars sooner, so there is quicker turnaround so more customers get access to them.
Old 08-28-15, 10:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

We shall see...
Old 08-28-15, 12:10 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

We shall see...
You stated you don't care what they call it, as long as it is free, and it looks like it was free. So why the angst?

Now if they attempt to charge you for that, that's a whole other issue and I would get very upset over that.
Old 08-28-15, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
You stated you don't care what they call it, as long as it is free, and it looks like it was free. So why the angst?

Now if they attempt to charge you for that, that's a whole other issue and I would get very upset over that.
No angst. Just an observation shared with the group since we've discussed other members dealers beginning to charge for loaners in the past. My guess is that they're going to start charging for loaners and they're just not quite ready to make the formal policy change.

If that's not something that concerns you, you don't have to participate in the discussion.
Old 08-28-15, 01:59 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

No angst. Just an observation shared with the group since we've discussed other members dealers beginning to charge for loaners in the past. My guess is that they're going to start charging for loaners and they're just not quite ready to make the formal policy change.

If that's not something that concerns you, you don't have to participate in the discussion.
I understand where you're coming from and agree. If you have feelings about a particular issue, don't let anyone tell you those feelings are wrong. No one has the right to be the "thought police" when it comes to personal feelings about an issue.
Old 08-28-15, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This has turned into Cry Baby stuff....if they charge you for it going forward, just don't go back....you could wait for the service to be performed, take a shuttle, or just go to your independent garage. Ugh! Petty, petty, penny pinching.
Old 08-28-15, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This has turned into Cry Baby stuff....if they charge you for it going forward, just don't go back....you could wait for the service to be performed, take a shuttle, or just go to your independent garage. Ugh! Petty, petty, penny pinching.
Who's crying? Not me.

Whenever you see a company that you've been a customer of for a long time and enjoy being a customer of start to devalue you as a customer by charging more and delivering less is always frustrating. I posted this because as a Lexus owner who had participated in discussions before about dealers ceasing to offer loaners, I thought it would be of interest to fellow members. To many of which it was. Again, if you don't want to participate in the discussion...don't. You don't even own a Lexus so no skin off your nose.

Like I said before, plenty of other dealers if my suspicion turns out to be right or I have a great independent mechanic.
Old 08-29-15, 04:02 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps
Used vehicle vs per owned
Loaner vs rental
Is the verbage sexier from a business perspective to say "rental" than loaner? Idk could they have used different terminology for Lexus owners? Just throwing that out there.
Old 08-29-15, 04:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Personally I would think a "loaner" gets them more credibility out on the street because a loaner is something given as a perk or a benefit for free vs a "rental" which is typically something you have to pay for.

The point of the banner on the loaner car is to advertise that if you have your Lexus serviced at Lexus of Rockville you get this loaner. "You can rent this car" is less impressive.

Like I said though, as long as it stays included with the service they can call it whatever they want.
Old 08-29-15, 10:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The Lexus dealership I've been going to, suddenly started servicing all other brands. Let me tell you, it is very strange to see a Benz or an Acura on a lift next to my car. I stopped going to Lexus for regular service, I only go there for recalls now.
Old 08-29-15, 10:56 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The Lexus dealership I've been going to, suddenly started servicing all other brands. Let me tell you, it is very strange to see a Benz or an Acura on a lift next to my car. I stopped going to Lexus for regular service, I only go there for recalls now.
That seems strange. Heck, even when I go to my Toyota dealer, I only see Toyota's being serviced.

Does the owner of your Lexus dealership also own MB and Acura dealerships?
Old 08-29-15, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that is very very weird for a lexus dealership?!
Old 08-29-15, 10:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I can't think of any that are shared with other brands...
Old 08-30-15, 02:09 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder how they decipher service codes of other vehicles? Wait....I know the Mercedes dealership that I bought my RX from can service my vehicle as they sold it to me and they "warranty" any work on it for a year. Otherwise they send the vehicle out to my local Lexus for any extensive work. In fact it's going back to the Mercedes dealership this Monday for work done on it when I bought it.

Quick Reply: In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"