Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Ken Shaw is another dealer that I know is small, in a relatively small market, and whose owner did some reshuffling of his business entities. I may be wrong, but I think they are only focused on Lexus now, and sold the Toyota side to another group.
Ken Shaw is absolutely not a small dealer in small market. Ken Shaw Lexus Toyota is one of the largest and highest volume dealers in Canada and in North America. It is also one of the very first Toyota dealerships in Canada and it was the first Lexus dealer upon inception.

What is strange is that Ken Shaw looks tiny, but the dealer owns 20 acres behind the Toyota building which has at least 250-300 cars in inventory. They also have two used car buildings, one in another location across the road and one iin the back of the main facility.

Also, Ken Shaw is one of the only delaers that is still a combined Toyota/Lexus dealer that is not separate (Performance Toyota is the other, DVNL was once a combined)

Here are a couple things about Ken Shaw for those who might care:

They are one of only a few Toyota dealers that can do body shop repairs on premises.
They are the only approved Toyota/Lexus paint repair dealers in Toronto
Only CAA Approved Toyota body shops
All Drive Clean testing is done on premises (most dealers outsource).
Rare dealer where you can shop Lexus and Toyota vehicles without ever leaving the building (Performance Toyota Lexus is the other)

Toyota service and Toyota/Lexus parts open 7am-Midnight Mon-Thurs which shuttle pick up till 11:45pm. Lexus sevice open till just 6pm.

Highest rated Toyota dealer for customer service in Canada (measured by Toyota)

Only Toyota dealer that has not upgraded branding and facility to the current blueprint and Toyota is not asking them to upgrade. The Lexus part is upgrading and they might be separating from the current complex.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think part of this conversation is blown out of proportion.

let me state an experience (or multiple). way back in early 2000 when i got my first lexus (and many more throughout the years), it has always been the case that if it's just an oil change, they would ask you to wait in the waiting room for an hour or so. only work that take more than 2 hrs would be approved for loaner.

that happened to me multiple teams across at least 4 lexus dealerships.

now over the years, i have built good relationships with advisers and such, and gradually i started getting loaners for any service i have done.

so my take is, the unwritten rules have always been there and they enforce it. but it's also varies a lot according to your relationship, and it doesn't seem to be something hard for them to "make it happen"
Old 08-27-15, 03:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ Same with my dealership.

When I bought my cars, they gave me a copy of their loaner policy, which states that a loaner will be provided for services planned to take more than 2 hours. For less than 2 hours, you can wait there, or take advantage of their shuttle service.

I am fortunate in my ability to bring my work with me, so I usually just wait there with my laptop, get work done, take advantage of the coffee, and enjoy my time away from the office.

One time I did ask them for a loaner while scheduling a service that was intended to take 90 minutes, and they happily obliged, though I really wasn't expecting them to be so willing.
Old 08-27-15, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

So...picked up the LS, no charge. It was after 5 unfortunately so the managers were all gone, but I asked my SA whether they were going to start charging for loaners and he said that he had not heard anything about that, but he hadn't noticed the change in the wording of the stickers on the back of the vehicles either. He said they started putting a rate on the loaner sheet to try and get people to return their loners in a more timely fashion which is an issue apparently.

I don't doubt his sincerity, but my guess is that this is a policy at this dealer that is going to change. Otherwise why change the terminology on the back of the vehicles?

Another thing I noticed, the general managers office had his name on the glass, I noticed his name is gone. He had been there forever. I bet there's a new GM...
Old 08-27-15, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There is some lonaer info on their website. No loaner for oil change or any service under one hour. $55 for any vehicle that is returned late.
Old 08-27-15, 04:59 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
So...picked up the LS, no charge. It was after 5 unfortunately so the managers were all gone, but I asked my SA whether they were going to start charging for loaners and he said that he had not heard anything about that, but he hadn't noticed the change in the wording of the stickers on the back of the vehicles either. He said they started putting a rate on the loaner sheet to try and get people to return their loners in a more timely fashion which is an issue apparently.

I don't doubt his sincerity, but my guess is that this is a policy at this dealer that is going to change. Otherwise why change the terminology on the back of the vehicles?

Another thing I noticed, the general managers office had his name on the glass, I noticed his name is gone. He had been there forever. I bet there's a new GM...
Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill.

Regardless of the verbiage (loaner/rental), there was no charge to you.
Old 08-27-15, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill.

Regardless of the verbiage (loaner/rental), there was no charge to you.
You've completely missed the point. Again...the point of this thread is not the verbiage of "loaner" vs "rental". The point was weather or not my dealership is going to start charging for loaner cars where they haven't in the past. They could call it a billygoat for all I care as long as its included in the service.

There has to be some reason after 25 years of calling them "loaners", something that implies a cost free courtesy, making the change to calling them "rentals', something that someone pays to use. And to go to the trouble of scraping off all the old ones that say "loaner" and changing it to "rental". Why would they do that if there wasn't going to be some sort of change in how they view loaner cars?

We'll see as time goes on. My guess is at some point though I'm going to roll in there and they're going to want me to pay for a loaner car.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is some lonaer info on their website. No loaner for oil change or any service under one hour. $55 for any vehicle that is returned late.
They've always said that, but the reality always has been the loaner is always free, for any service. At least thats how it always has been for me. Still is that way as of now, but we will see.

BTW, before we were talking about a oil change cost. At this dealer the "summer oil change special" is $173. Thats for a conventional oil change...not synthetic. Like I said, would be insane to pay that price and not get a loaner for the day.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-27-15 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 05:47 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think part of this conversation is blown out of proportion.

let me state an experience (or multiple). way back in early 2000 when i got my first lexus (and many more throughout the years), it has always been the case that if it's just an oil change, they would ask you to wait in the waiting room for an hour or so. only work that take more than 2 hrs would be approved for loaner.

that happened to me multiple teams across at least 4 lexus dealerships.

now over the years, i have built good relationships with advisers and such, and gradually i started getting loaners for any service i have done.

so my take is, the unwritten rules have always been there and they enforce it. but it's also varies a lot according to your relationship, and it doesn't seem to be something hard for them to "make it happen"
Yeah that's how it has been with us too. And we've been to different dealerships in different states. One of them actually offered pick up and drop off at my office but of course I would never take that. I used to get excited when a vehicle is due for service because I would get to check out a different car esp. one recently released. My wife on the other hand is totally against it. She never likes to take loaners. One reason is she said most of them smell. The latter is she's afraid accident might occur and doesn't want to get involved into it. After a while that got into me. Now if it can be waited, I just go on my day off. Bring something to do, replying to emails, reading some work related topics online or... browsing CL. Lol
Old 08-27-15, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If something happens with the loaner, you're insured.

I'd rather spend my time off with my family personally. Especially if I'm paying those prices for the convenience of having the loaner.
Old 08-27-15, 06:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

you didnt actually get charged, so I think you should enjoy your life more and not get stressed over things like change of wording on the back of loaner vehicles :-).
Old 08-27-15, 06:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
you didnt actually get charged, so I think you should enjoy your life more and not get stressed over things like change of wording on the back of loaner vehicles :-).
I'm not stressed in the slightest...like I said plenty of other dealers I just think it's interesting.
Old 08-27-15, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You've completely missed the point. Again...the point of this thread is not the verbiage of "loaner" vs "rental". The point was weather or not my dealership is going to start charging for loaner cars where they haven't in the past. They could call it a billygoat for all I care as long as its included in the service.

There has to be some reason after 25 years of calling them "loaners", something that implies a cost free courtesy, making the change to calling them "rentals', something that someone pays to use. And to go to the trouble of scraping off all the old ones that say "loaner" and changing it to "rental". Why would they do that if there wasn't going to be some sort of change in how they view loaner cars?

We'll see as time goes on. My guess is at some point though I'm going to roll in there and they're going to want me to pay for a loaner car.

They've always said that, but the reality always has been the loaner is always free, for any service. At least thats how it always has been for me. Still is that way as of now, but we will see.

BTW, before we were talking about a oil change cost. At this dealer the "summer oil change special" is $173. Thats for a conventional oil change...not synthetic. Like I said, would be insane to pay that price and not get a loaner for the day.
You might be insane for paying that, but some people really don't have the time to worry about it, don't really car, nickel and dime themselves, or the opposite put the effort to try and save some money.

My Corolla gets a $55 oil change at a Toyota dealer, I could probably try to save $25 by getting it done at Canadian Tire or even cheaper in Rochester on the weekends. But honestly, I have no issues paying extra, I like the dealer I go to, I am entitled to a loaner becuase of all the cars I have bought and my fmaily too but I just get a shuttle drive back to my office. Or sometimes I just browse the lot and show room and look at the cars.
Old 08-27-15, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have no problem paying it within reason, as long as it stays as convenient as it is.
Old 08-28-15, 05:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care what they call it, as long as they don't expect me to pay separately. If that wasn't their goal, why would they change the banner from "loaner" to "rental"?
Tax & Legal issues
Old 08-28-15, 06:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Tax & Legal issues
I'm not buying it. We'll see as time goes on.

It could be that billing for a loaner and then comping that charge generates some sort of a loss that is deductible...but I sill guess that at some point they're going to start charging for services below a certain price point and time limit.

Quick Reply: In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"