Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 08:05 PM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago when I took my wife's RX450h in for 20k oil change with loaner, bill came out to be 200 something dollars!

When I asked receptionist about the unusually high oil change cost, she pointed out half of it was 'labor charge' (100+ on labor for an oil change, seriously?!), then she said if I had waited in waiting area the cost for oil change would have been 89.... That's when I realized they hid loaner charge within so called labor cost.... 2 Benjamins left my wallet as lesson learned...

Needless to say I have been changing oil myself since that day

Last edited by FCReulB; 08-26-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The dealer here has a $150 labor rate. So if you think about 30 minutes labor for an oil change, thats $75. Then the LS holds 9 quarts of oil...so even if you're getting the oil for $4 a quart which is cheap for synthetic, thats nearly $40 just for the oil.
Old 08-26-15, 08:42 PM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly it was 7.99/ qt @ 7 qts, oil filter and washer wasn't much then the rest of the bill were labor and tax... I still miss my Benjamins even to this day~
I will stop changing oil myself once I'm retired, I will have plenty of time for them in waiting room
Old 08-26-15, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I see.

Times are changing. I just randomly googled.... and this is what I found.

http://www.bmwofsterling.com/loaner-car-policy/

some bmw stealerships are already doing this, so it only makes sense for Lexus to follow. Always the follower.

I remember those days when Longo Lexus would give out loaners with free gas.

Either pay a convenience fee for a rental, or come in during the weekend and wait. I'm betting the implementation of a rental charge will make the weekends a whole lot busier.
"free gas" pretty much stopped on all loaners ever since the last big hike on gas price across all dealerships, all brands
Old 08-26-15, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yup. I don't have an issue paying for the gas I use.

This is the loaner policy from the dealer on their website:

In order to maximize the availability of our courtesy vehicles to all of our guests, we ask that courtesy vehicles be returned upon notification that your service has been completed.

Courtesy vehicles are to be returned to Lexus of Rockville after notification that your service has been completed or there will be a charge of $55.00 per day added to the repair order. For courtesy vehicles that cannot be returned immediately, please contact your service consultant to make further arrangements to avoid additional charges.
DUE TO INSURANCE REGULATIONS, YOU MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO OPERATE A LOANER.
ONLY THE PERSON(S) LISTED ON THE LOANER AGREEMENT FORM IS ELIGIBLE TO OPERATE LOANER CAR.
ANY DRIVER OF THE LOANER CAR WILL NEED TO PRESENT A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE.
All traffic, EZ-Pass and parking tickets are the responsibility of the driver of loaner car.
COURTESY VEHICLES ARE TO BE USED IN THE DC METRO AREA ONLY.
Courtesy vehicles are not given for oil changes, any service under one hour, accident-related repairs, body damage, flood damage ect. Lexus of Rockville can provide enterprise rental vehicles at the guests' expense for insurance and body repair if needed.
We kindly ask that all guests return the courtesy vehicle with the fuel at the same level at which we loaned it to you. We only ask that you replace the fuel that you have used.
Guests are responsible for all charges for cleaning required in relation to smoking in loaner vehicles.
Same as its always been. I've never been denied a loaner, even for a small service. We'll see if that continues.
Old 08-26-15, 09:47 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a real bummer to hear they may be doing away with some loaners. I went to the dealer recently, first time in 6 years, for a few recalls. I forgot how smooth the process is at Lexus. I didn't ask for a loaner, but they offered it.

I am going to be in the market for another car soon and i was thinking of not going with lexus. But after this visit, it reminded me where the money goes and how good the service is there. it had me changing my mind. I just hope they continue the great convenience that is loaners. It's huge in my book - saves me time, money, frustration and hassle.
Old 08-26-15, 11:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is the first I'm hearing about the new "rental" thing. Are we sure it's not just another term for "loaner?" I have not seen or heard any Lexus dealer charging for their service cars unless someone is out of warranty. Such a shift in policy would have made headline news or been in Autoblog.
I'd double check to be sure it's just not a twist on the word "loaner" and nothing else. Or perhaps they are using these cars to advertise to the general public one can now rent a Lexus? I'd be shocked if Lexus yanked away their premium service, which is the hallmark of the brand and what they sell their cars based on.

My yearly experiences at Longo have been outstanding and that is why I make the 60 mile drive there just for service.
Old 08-27-15, 12:27 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it's a loaner to you a Lexus owner but advertised as a rental to the public in order create another revenue stream for the dealership?
Old 08-27-15, 01:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I wonder if it's a loaner to you a Lexus owner but advertised as a rental to the public in order create another revenue stream for the dealership?
Pretty much my thought too. And it would make business sense for dealers to start another avenue of revenue if such cars were available and sitting around.

Should also point out, dealers sell their loaners and do quite well with the sale. In fact, a large chunk of certified and pre-owned cars on their lots are supplied from former loaners. So it's not like they are out the cost of buying the car simply to let customers borrow them during service.
Old 08-27-15, 03:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Silver Spring is in Montgomery County too. The taxes have been what they've been for years though, and Lexus of Rockville has been in business since 1989. Its just greed.

Exactly (and I wish an oil change here was only $80 at Lexus lol). My mechanic will do it for me while I walk up and have a slice of pizza for way less. This crap takes hours sitting around a big dealership. I don't have hours, which is why I pay the dealer a premium over even walking up and getting a slice of pizza. I WILL NOT pay those prices AND pay for a loaner though. Not going to happen.

I've been a customer of this dealer for 15+ years, I will find out when I go pick the car up whether or not this is their plan...and if it is they'll hear my thoughts on the matter I promise you.
You'll be doing the right and only thing that can be done. Voice your displeasure and don't give them your money. Hopefully enough customers join you and it affects their bottom line. Not only will service suffer but new and CPO sales may be affected as well. Good luck and let us know.
Old 08-27-15, 04:59 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

In Canada, most dealers won't provide a courtesy loaner unless it is for warranty repairs over 4 hours, owner that bought extended warranty coverage and/or a dealer's optional service coverage. They make exceptions for preferred customers. This has been pretty consistent with all the dealers I've been to since at least after the 2008 downturn. All others wait, are provided a shuttle option or have the choice to rent a car. The rental is usually through an on-site counter from one of the large rental companies, or the dealer staff handling their papers.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-27-15 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 07:12 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
In Canada, most dealers won't provide a courtesy loaner unless it is for warranty repairs over 4 hours, owner that bought extended warranty coverage and/or a dealer's optional service coverage. They make exceptions for preferred customers. This has been pretty consistent with all the dealers I've been to since at least after the 2008 downturn. All others wait, are provided a shuttle option or have the choice to rent a car. The rental is usually through an on-site counter from one of the large rental companies, or the dealer staff handling their papers.
On the other hand, my dealership (Lexus Downtown) in Toronto will always drop a loaner car off overnight at my home for an oil change to be done the day after. I have a CT, and none of my loaners have been more than 2000 kms old. They have ranged from ES, many RX's and once in a blue moon, CT. As far as I remember Lexus Downtown does not have a rental cars yet. http://www.lexusdowntown.ca/parts_an.../valet-service. And I haven't noticed their oil changes to be any more expensive than other local Lexus dealers.
Old 08-27-15, 07:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't care what they call it, as long as they don't expect me to pay separately. If that wasn't their goal, why would they change the banner from "loaner" to "rental"?
It's possible they might also be offering them (outside of service loaners) as rental vehicles. I know some other brand dealerships (Chevy) near me do this with some of their cars.
Old 08-27-15, 08:15 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Similar to Dave's comment, maybe they are going to charge for loaners if you did not purchase the vehicle at the dealership. I don't know the formal policy at our Lexus dealer, but I have had loaners for each service, so long as you make an appointment on a day a loaner is available. At the Acura dealer next door, I also get a loaner for each service even though I did not buy the vehicle there.

One thing that is a pain at the Lexus dealer for a loaner is each time having to show evidence of insurance and your drivers license for them to copy, then sign a loaner form. At the Acura dealer all I do is tell them the name of my insurance company and I am on my way.
Old 08-27-15, 10:00 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveCT
On the other hand, my dealership (Lexus Downtown) in Toronto will always drop a loaner car off overnight at my home for an oil change to be done the day after. I have a CT, and none of my loaners have been more than 2000 kms old. They have ranged from ES, many RX's and once in a blue moon, CT. As far as I remember Lexus Downtown does not have a rental cars yet. http://www.lexusdowntown.ca/parts_an.../valet-service. And I haven't noticed their oil changes to be any more expensive than other local Lexus dealers.
Good to know, I will try them out next time around. Note that Lexus Downtown and Performance Lexus in St. Catherines are relatively new dealers, so they may be using this to build a customer base. Regardless, to me, a free loaner is one less thing to worry about specially during a busy day.

Quick Reply: In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"